Monday, June 28, 2010

Cover Critique: The Headless Torso


Let me preface this post by saying that my design critiques of these covers are in no way, shape or form a reflection on the author, the content or the publisher. I know the authors have very little, if any, control over the design. These are strictly my thoughts stemming from my design experience.

This week's critique isn't about a single cover, but more of a general trend in paranormal romance covers. What is that trend you ask? That's right, the headless torso. Here's how I picture a conversation between the book designer and the marketing department going regarding a cover similar to Lion's Heat.

Designer: Here's the first proof of the cover design. We've got the toned pecs, washboard abs, and tawny skin featured prominently.


Marketing:
Hmmmm. I don't like that he doesn't have a head. I think it will be disconcerting for readers if we don't show his head. We want them to know it's there.


Designer:
I think it's implied that he does, in fact, have a head and this is not a book about a headless gentlemen.


Marketing:
Well, you know what they say about "assume". I think maybe you should fix it so that we can see some of his chin and mouth. That way, it will be clear that he has a head. When I look at him without it, all I can see is the headless horseman. The headless horseman is not sexy.


Designer:
Yes, a black-clad, sword-wielding, pumpkin-headed murderer is decidedly unattractive.


Marketing: Agreed. So just add some chin.

Designer:
You want me to re-crop this image so we can just see some of his chin?


Marketing: Yes. I want readers to be aware that he has a head.


Designer:
walks away muttering They'll know he has a head, they're going to be reading all about both his heads when they buy the book. (Silly designers, minds always in the gutter;)

An hour later...


Designer: Here you go. I re-cropped the image and you can see his chin and a little of his mouth.


Marketing:
Excellent, so much better. He's much better looking now, don't you think?


Designer:
Oh yes, he wasn't much to look at before, but that chin really catapults him into sex-god territory.


Marketing: Right you are. Glad we could see eye to chin on this. Eye to chin. Get it?


Designer: Your humor never fails to impress.


Marketing:
I know. Next project!


Thus, as a result of conversations like this, I present to you the now
semi headless torso:


Seen a cover that's either gorgeous or absurd? Email me at supernaturalsnark@gmail.com and let's have a look!

14 comments:

  1. Hilarious!!!! And soooo relevant with these PNR books right now. I have to go look at my books now, I'm pretty sure Lover Mone cover has a gorgeous torso with no head too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! My husband and I were just talking about this when we were at the book store yesterday. It drives me nuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela - Lover Mine most definitely has the headless torso, a very very pretty torso:)

    Karen - It just makes me laugh, I have no idea why they get cut off at the chin, I personally like my men to have faces, but that's just me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I never really noticed how many headless men there are out there. I'd rather have that then someone else's version of what they look like. That will turn me off a book real quick. :( Yes, I'm shallow like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. But after seeing some of these models at a recent book convention----I know why there are no heads!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it have to be a supernatural or can it be plain old Target romance? Because I was just there...and I saw some great ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, hopping over from the Hop and am following you now. Welcome to the book blogging world! I'm just starting to get into the paranormal/urban fantasy romance mood. Your blog looks like it will be a good resource and a lot of fun, too!

    I've got a copy of Captivity to give away over on my blog if you'd like to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say I noticed this before... however I think I would rather see this than see a model that looks nothing like the lead male :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely hate this trend! Who in the world thought it was a good idea to cut off half of someone's face? Love your post though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad i stumbled upon your blog today!! i love ths post...started to follow i just couldnt resist

    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was so totally unaware of this trend. Thanks for mentioning it. You do know that I'll never be able to look at a cover again without first making sure there's a head there or not!

    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, this was funny! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was hilarious! I love that post!!! Something that is so true but I've never noticed before!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours has just been fascinating me for about 15 minutes now.:) I had to design my own cover since I self published, but wow, you are much better. I liked the way you discuss something that hasn't actually come up at other sites. Well done! And the girl with the rippling water, blue hair, and fanged heart over it all? Plus the torso and the missing head. It's 'in' right now because sexy attracts, and I think it must be easier for designers maybe? I don't know, you are one, is it easier to forget the face? I never understood that.

    Anyhow great blog, and here's to continued success!

    Having a little trouble actually finding your reviews and such

    ReplyDelete