Friday, May 27, 2016

Welcome, Mya!

Happy Friday Everyone!

I talk about my dogs with some frequency on this blog, more so the past year given we've lost both boxers and gained two pit bulls in that time, and today I just wanted to do one more post to welcome our newest addition!

Mya is two years old (best guess), and had the great misfortune of being sold as a puppy to a dog fighter. As a result of being beaten nearly to death, she's wary of new people in general and absolutely terrified of men in particular. When we met her at her foster's home, she was a little cautious but warmed up to both me and my husband in no time, so we figured we were in relatively good shape. That was definitely a bit naive of us because we're new to rescue (Gracie was our first and she's quite possibly the most unflappable, well-adjusted dog ever), but the dog we met at the foster is not the same dog we brought home, as her new environment has triggered all the fear behaviors I'm sure she had when she was first rescued. She has a lot of trouble with sudden movements and skitters away in fear if either of us happens to have something in our hands, and it breaks my heart every time she does it.

Mya is proving to be a bigger challenge than we were honestly prepared for, but I know it's going to be an enormously rewarding experience to watch her come out of her shell and start to feel comfortable with us. We're going to have a bumpy road at times I'm sure, and I know Kevin and I will make mistakes (we already have) because she's the first abused dog we've welcomed into our home, but she's such a sweet girl and wants so desperately to please us. Sometimes her fear just gets the better of her, so "be patient" is our new mantra. We both know she's worth waiting for!

While she's still unsure about the two of us (but I think doing amazingly well considering everything she's been through), she and Gracie are becoming the best of friends which makes me absurdly happy. I know Gracie was content on her own, but she's a social butterfly for sure, and seeing the two of them doing zoomies and playing tug of war in the backyard all day has basically had me in ugly tears the past week and a half since Mya's been here. Mya also takes a lot of her cues from Gracie, which I think will go a long way in helping her settle in and feel safe.

Below are a few pictures! They're basically twins, but Mya is the one on the left below with less white on her face and floppy ears:)



22 comments:

  1. Aw, Mya looks like such a sweet puppy, Jenny! And she is so lucky that you guys have taken her into your home! It breaks my heart to hear about her sad start in life, but I'm glad she's getting her happy ever after now. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aweee, poor Mya! You guys will do your best with a lot of love and I'm sure she'll be tremendously happy!
    Having Mya and Gracie being happy together is the best thing ever! They look alike so much!!

    All the patience to you guys and all the love to Mya (and Gracie!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boyfriend and I adopted a dog about two and a half months ago, and she's been the greatest thing in our lives, even though she's not without her own set of troubles. I'm so glad you were able to rescue Mya. I'd probably be crying big ugly tears watching the two dogs play outside, too. Ha. But yay Mya and Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Adorable! She is so lucky to have you guys. What an awesome thing you guys are doing for her. :) It makes me sick to think about how people abuse dogs. We rescued our dog from a puppy mill. He was neglected and sick...it broke my heart. I can't wait to see more pics of your new dog! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mya's story breaks my heart. People who abuse animals are lowest of lowest human beings. *sighs* It makes me so angry!

    Anyways, I'm so happy and in awe of you and Kevin for having adopted her, Jenny. Knowing you, I know you will shower her with all the love that she needs! <3 I'm happy that she's having a blast with Grace and I hope she will become adjusted to you guys soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you, I know it wasn't a easy search

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH I love this Jenny and yay! I'm so happy for you and I know you will have a long road ahead but she will totally be worth it. She looks so sweet and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! Welcome!

    I may be of a little help with some of the fear if you like. Just e-mail me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cutie! She's lucky to have you as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new girl looks so sweet :) and isn't it just a happy turn of luck that they are "twins"? :) As someone who has experience with furbabies that have come from bad beginnings, your "be patient" mantra is spot on. She has to learn to trust you and that doesn't happen over night. Just being patient, loving, and calm is pretty much all you can do. And when that day comes that she realizes she's safe and loved, it makes all the work totally worth it! Best of luck to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me tear up a little with this post, Jenny! Also, whoever did that to Mya needs to be shot! I just can't even imagine how people can treat animals like that! I'm so thrilled she found a loving home in you, Kevin, and Gracie! Hope she settles in soon and her past fades into the background. Love the middle picture with her cocking her head to the left. Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm weepy... you and Kevin are awesome parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are both absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad you rescued them. <3 And how perfect that Mya has Gracie to cue from. Meant to be ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so lovely of you and Kevin for welcoming Mya to your home! It sounds like she'll grow to be comfortable under your care and guidance. I love dogs!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  15. TOO CUTE! I've recently overcome my fear of dogs and I really want to welcome home an abused or rescue dog, only because I feel as if we'll both have to get used to one another and I've never had a dog before. It's amazing that you and Kevin are working so hard to make Mya feel welcome--thanks for sharing her story with us, Jenny, and I'm sure she will bring so much happiness into your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty babies! They're lucky to have found a new home with your family, Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, your dogs look so similar, Jenny, and Mya is really lucky to have been adopted by you and Kevin. I'm sure it will take time for her to completely adjust, but I think it's really helpful that Gracie is already there with you guys since she gets to see both of you treat Gracie positively.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww poor Mya - I got teary eyed just thinking about how cruel some people can be. I am so, SO happy that you adopted her Jenny. It will surely take time and be a learning experience but she WILL come out of her shell. One of my kitties is a rescue and had lots of mysterious fears that we had a hard time figuring out at first but now, despite being a bit more nervous than my other kitty, she's really calmed down and come into her own. Lots of luck to you and the family ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're adorable and kudos to your husband and you for adopting an abused dog. I hope you guys encounter fewer bumps in the road than anticipated, but I'm glad to hear you're willing to work with her if it takes some time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete