Monday, September 20, 2010

A few notes on the censorship trials of late

As I'm sure most of you know, the book world has been abuzz lately as several attempts at censorship have been thrust into prominence. First, there was the Ellen Hopkins fiasco, and now a gentlemen named Scroggins has written an article calling out several "filthy" books, berating the authors for the havoc they are inflicting on the country's youth. Now, I'm going to set aside the first amendment issue as I feel it's been thoroughly and eloquently argued into exhaustion and I cannot possible make an argument in it's favor that hasn't already been brilliantly made.

Instead, I'd like to focus on the power of the written word. People like Scroggins, dare I say small minded people of his similar ilk, who have perhaps had the blessing of living a life that has been free of abuse (drug, physical, mental or otherwise) can't possibly understand that a book pertaining to that subject matter could be anything other than harmful in the hands of a teenager. I would never wish such abuse on anyone to inspire understanding, but I can think of a hundred ways a book like that would be and is a blessing to anyone who wants to read it. People who oppose books with controversial subject matter seem to be convinced that the words on the page depicting awful events are what inspire the lewd, abhorrent, and deviant behavior of today, rather than considering the books merely take a reality that already exists and put it in an format where a lesson can be learned, solace can be found, and healing can possibly begin.

How dare we deny a child, teenager or adult an ally to see them through their pain? For that is what fictional characters are, personal allies we connect to, feel for, and inevitably bond with. Perhaps a young girl who has been raped can take comfort in the fact that she's not alone in her experience, but rather someone else, even a fictional someone, has gone through what she's currently suffering. Maybe that knowledge would be enough to stay the hand of someone considering suicide to escape their pain and anguish. Maybe on a lesser scale, that character provides the much needed warmth they aren't yet able to find in another person due to shame and guilt. Not only is it unfair and unjust to say books of such subject matter are filth, but it's downright cruel. Cruel to those who are suffering through abuse of any kind to make them feel as though a book dealing with their reality is unworthy of reading, that their circumstances are so disgusting they don't even deserve to be recorded in fiction. Instead, these books should be extolled for the accurate depiction of the world around us, however much we wish the truth of the words was not so.

How many times must we argue the same point? Silence only begets silence, and I for one am not content to live in a world of hushed conversations and whispered platitudes.

12 comments:

  1. I know I was talking to Ellen and she was disnvitied to a Teen Book Festival because of her writing. I think its amazing for authors like ellen to touch those topics that others see as taboo as it's issues that are really happening.
    BTW Im an old follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare we deny a child, teenager or adult an ally to see them through their pain? .

    So true. You're right. Silence never solves anything,and it's so inspiring to see all of the people coming forward to speak out on this subject.

    If you're interested, I wrote about my thoughts here. I also have a Mr. Linky at the end if you'd like to link up your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with every single thing that you've written. You're echoing everything that I have been thinking about ever since this censorship issues have exploded in the book world. It's just incredibly ignorant of someone who probably grew up in picket-fence surroundings to pass judgment on something they would never be able to understand. If he has even read the books in their entirety (which I highly doubt), grossly misinterpreting the essence of the books the way he does, just showcases that he doesn't understand just how much of a lifeline these books are to many people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for posting that dude's article- I've never really seen such an ignorant example of attempted censorship. as a high school teacher, this obviously scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post Jenny. I was reading tweets last night and some people were wondering WHY this was such a big deal. I remember one particular remark, "Isn't there better things to worry about?"
    All I could think was the old platitude, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing>" Do I think Mr. Scroggins is evil? No. But I do think he is ignorant. And sometimes that can be even more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so irritated and frustrated with Scroggins. I also blogged & shared your link with your opinions too! I hope you don't mind... I love what you have to say

    ReplyDelete
  7. It amazes me that time and time again, issues like this surface. I thought we'd be past this by now, as a society. It's really too bad, but hopefully all the solidarity against Scroggins will discredit his article and cause the school board to see TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't agree more everyone, nothing is more infuriating than ignorance and prejudice.

    Paperback Writer - I don't mind that you shared the link at all, I appreciate you forwarding it on to anyone and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the posts that people are doing on this topic. The guy who did the original post was so close-minded and really just judgmental. Not to mention completely off about rape. I am glad though in a way as it has opened up a great conversation that I think is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I saw a link to your site on Read All Over. I also have a post about this on my blog which gives you the chance to get hold of a copy of Speak thanks to one of my blogger buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent post! Thank you for writing it. It made me furious that this Scroggins idiot is more upset about teenagers reading about uncomfortable issues than about them experiencing them first-hand. I don't know what kind of fluffy-marshmallow world he's living in, but in the real world Speak has been a comfort to kids who have been in Melinda's situation - and those who haven't - and encouraged them that they don't have to suffer alone, that they are not guilty and that it's not their fault. It would be a disgrace to take away such a valuable resource from the people who need it most. It's not just a story. For so many, it's a lifeline.

    ReplyDelete