Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Interview: Sara Larson + Defy


Today I'm hugely excited to welcome author Sara B. Larson to the blog to answer a few questions about her young adult fantasy debut, Defy (released yesterday from Scholastic). Defy was a book I picked up not knowing much about it, and I found myself madly in love after pretty much the first chapter. As soon as I finished, I sprinted to the computer and sent a dubiously coherent fangirl email to Sara requesting an interview, and she oh-so graciously waded through my ramblings and agreed. I'll be posting my full review on the blog tomorrow!

It’s your first day of training with Alexa and the rest of the guard. How many bruises would you estimate you’ll be sporting tomorrow? Will there be more or less than are decorating the bodies of your opponents? 

Oh man, if I had to spar against Alexa, she’d totally kick my trash. I mean, I work out and I do kick boxing, so I think I could hold my own in a fight. But we’re talking about sword fighting with Alexa. Yeah, I’d be a mess of bruises the next day. But I’m stubborn, so I’d keep practicing in hopes that I could try to hold my own against her eventually.

If you found yourself in Alexa’s shoes, having to maintain the guise of being male, what do you think you would have to work hardest at to keep from giving yourself away? 

Hmmm, that’s a very interesting question! Well, for one, if someone were to scare me in the dark (did I mention I’m afraid of the dark?), I tend to scream and either drop to the ground, or lash out. Pretty sure that would give me away in a hurry since Antion can be a very scary place, especially at night.

What was the very first piece of Defy to pop into your head? Do you remember where you were when it came to you? 

I do, it actually came from a very difficult period in my life, when someone I loved had just passed away from cancer. He was just 24. I was so upset by his loss that I couldn’t write anything. But a friend of mine told me to stop trying to write a book and just write was I was feeling. So that’s what I did, and what I wrote was the very first scene of what later became DEFY. (Hint: it is not the first chronological scene in the book.) From there, the story took on its own life, though. It became a story of survival, a story of what true courage and strength is, and a story about love and hope (even in the most desperate of situations) and risking everything for the chance of a better future.

If you suddenly woke up tomorrow in Antion, which modern amenity would you miss most? What aspect of this fantasy world would make life without that amenity worth it? 

Oh boy, that’s a tough one! I do love my modern conveniences. Probably my computer, because I can’t keep up with my thoughts otherwise. I’d have claw fingers all the time from hand cramps if I had to write all my stories on parchment with a quill and ink. When I try to use pen and paper, I write as hard and furious as I can, but I just can’t do it. But Damian and Rylan would DEFINITELY make up for it. Oh, wait. I’m happily married (do I get to take my husband with me?), and there’s Alexa to compete with…so, uh, let’s go with the sorcery. If I could be a sorcerer, I’d totally be willing to give up my computer.

Alexa and her brother Marcel are extraordinarily close. What’s one small thing about her that makes Marcel proud to call himself her brother? 

Though he gives her a hard time about it, he admires her stubbornness. Once she has a goal, nothing can stop her, and that not only makes him proud—it’s saved her life more than once.

What tip or trick would Alexa give to anyone like her who needed to hide in plain sight? 

If you act like you know what you’re doing, everyone goes along with it. People only question something if you act like there’s something to question.

Alexa is proficient with a variety of weapons and is the best fighter on the prince’s guard. If she were to face a character from another young adult novel in a battle for position on the guard, who do you think might give her a good run for her money? 

I think Katsa from Graceling would definitely be an amazing match-up in a fight. Can you imagine? *stares off into space imagining the epicness of that battle*

It’s fair to say that both Rylan and Damian see something special in Alexa. What one word might each of them use to best describe her? 

Oooh, that’s tricky, making me limit it to one word, since she’s a very complex person. Hmmm….Rylan might describe her as fierce and I could imagine Damian describing her as indomitable.

*Jenny leaves to go Google "indomitable"* ;-)

• • • • • • • • • • •

DEFY


Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?



• • • • • • • • • • 

SARA B. LARSON


I love writing, reading, and dessert--but the order varies by the day. I wrote my first book in second grade about a woman who had a premature baby, complete with a "to scale" drawing of the baby's size--while my mom was pregnant. To say I was a bit precocious is putting it lightly. Now that I'm an adult, I write books for teens that have magic and romance and kick-butt girls (and very few premature babies). I live in Utah with my husband, two young sons and baby girl. I write during naptime and the hours when most people are sleeping. My  husband claims I should have a degree in "the art of multitasking." On occasion you will find me hiding in a bubble bath with a book and some Swedish Fish. I am represented by Josh Adams of Adams Literary and my YA debut DEFY is coming January '14 from Scholastic!

26 comments:

  1. How interesting that Sara's book emerged when she was trying not to write a book. Sad of course that it came of out tragic circumstances but it goes to show how helpful it can be to focus on emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. And I know exactly which scene she's referring to and my heart hurts just thinking about it!

      Delete
  2. EVERYONE mentions Graceling everywhere lately. On Twitter, Goodreads, blogs--even Jasprit rambled about this book in her monthly wrap-up. God, I'm so behind with all of these amazing fantasy series *shakes head*

    I feel like Sara turned a sad event into something that helped her heal perhaps and turned her life around since Scholastic is a huge, huge publishing house and I'm glad that she got a chance to experience this.

    I don't think anyone could sword fight with Alexa among us mundane people, but Celaena would give her a fair fight for sure and I'd love to see that match lol.

    Great interview, as always, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Graceling either Siiri, so we're behind on that one together! Maybe we can do a read-along just the two of us so we can inspire the other to pick it up:) I really enjoyed this one, I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Katsa in a fight against any other fighter would be fantastic! Thanks for sharing such a fun interview, Jenny!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Keertana, glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. "kick my trash" heh. Haven't heard that expression but it pretty much describes what would happen to me, too, if I went up against Alex. And I definitely agree about the computer. I'm so attached it would take the promise of magic to pry it out of my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suffer no delusions that I would beat Alexa in a fight. I'd be on the ground so fast I wouldn't even know what happened. I'd probably just hang out there for a bit instead of getting back up:)

      Delete
  5. I love that writing this book came at such a rough time period for the author, especially since I have heard so many great things about it.

    Great interview Jenny, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved this one Ali, I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  6. I love your interviews, Jenny! They are so insightful and creative. I've heard lots of great stuff about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rummanah! I have fun coming up with the questions:)

      Delete
  7. I cannot wait to read your review for this one! I have seen few and mostly they aren't so great so I'm really curious. Anyhow this is amazing interview as always and I really want to check out that book. Great post, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one seems to be inspiring a wide variety of opinions, but I just adored it. Even the love triangle worked for me:)

      Delete
  8. Ahh Jenny you are adorable... leaving to google indomitable. I am hearing some good things about this one, but someone just told me it has something about rape houses? Sounds like and exciting and intense read. I think I would miss my ipad the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously we both needed to Google indomitable. I love books that have siblings at their center, and Alexa and Marcel, being as close as they are, will be fabulous to read about. I keep hearing great things about this book, and well, if you say EVEN the LT worked, you know I trust you.
    *runs off to get a copy*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how much I loved Defy ... and Alex and Damien and ... the story!

    My heart just broken when I read the answer about the first scene, and having read the book (and spoken to you) I'm close to tears.

    Defy has everything I love in a story - Thanks Sara for writing it and bringing it to us:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm... wrote after a loss? Looks like I may have to be prepared in the kleenex arena before tackling these books. Btw, kicking your trash? So need to borrow that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I may not have loved the book, but this is a great interview! And I have to admit- I'm curious to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fantasy settings but I'd definitely miss modern conveniences like indoor plumbing, the Internet, etc. if I ever found myself in one. Being able to do magic though would be a good tradeoff :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun interview! I love your questions and Sara's answers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm struggling with this one. I mean, I'm already crying 11% in. That never happens. But if you liked it that much, I'm going to keep going, I just need a little happy in there somewhere.

    Excellent interview. That just goes without saying with your interviews! You totally rock! I'm off to look that word up too! lol

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a book I can really enjoy. And I loved the interview. I'm scared of the dark as well so not screaming like a girl would ne hard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I so sad to hear about Sara's loss. Cancer is horrible. I happy to hear she turned some of that awfulness into a positive and exciting project!

    I would completely fail in any fight as I have no upper body strength, but a girl can always dream she's a bad ass! :)

    ReplyDelete