Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cathy Reviews: Bite-Sized Magic + The Finisher

Along with my mom, my wonderful mother-in-law Cathy is an occasional partner in crime on this blog and I'm thrilled to have her back today to share her thoughts on a couple middle grade titles!

BITE-SIZED MAGIC
The Bliss Bakery #3
Kathryn Littlewood
Middle Grade Fantasy
432 pages
Katherine Tegen Books
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
This third book in Kathryn Littlewood's acclaimed Bliss trilogy mixes the down-home heart-punch of Ingrid Law's Newbery Honor Book Savvy, the always-on-the-edge-of-chaos comedy of Cheaper by the Dozen, and a humorous magic all its own to create a thoroughly original confection, a delicious guilty pleasure for readers of all ages.

Rose won back her family's magical Cookery Booke in an international baking competition in A Dash of Magic, the second novel in the series. Rose is now world famous—so famous, in fact, that Mr. Butter, head of the Mostess Corporation, has kidnapped her so that she can develop new-and-improved magical recipes for his company's snack cakes. With the magically enhanced Dinkies and Moony Pies, Mr. Butter plans to take over the world.

Together with her brothers, their talking cat and mouse, and an unlikely team of bakers, Rose must overthrow Mr. Butter before he destroys civilization, one magically evil snack cake at a time.


CATHY'S THOUGHTS
I need to be upfront and tell you that I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. All kinds of them, whether the sleuth knits, reads books, or bakes cookies, I love them all. They are my guilty pleasure! I have enjoyed this genre since I was a child, but way back then the only mysteries around were Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. So when Jenny passed along this book to me, I gladly jumped at the chance to read it.
 

Bite-Sized Magic by Kathryn Littlewood is just the type of book I would have loved to have had available when I was younger. It combines two of my favorite things, mystery and baking. And some magic is thrown in for good measure. The effect is delightful. This is the third book in the Bliss series but it's also a stand-alone story. There is a plot thread carried through from previous books, but I didn't feel as if I were lost at the start of this book. Ms. Littlewood does a wonderful job of bringing us up to date without oversaturating us with past details. 
 

Our sleuth/heroine is Rosemary Bliss, a 12 year old magical baker. She is kidnapped by the evil Mr. Butter to work for him and make magically irresistible snack cakes. (I think this must be a true story as I thoroughly enjoy said snack cakes!) He would like the whole world to be eating only his treats. While she's there, she discovers her family's magic recipes have been stolen and used at his factory. Rosemary has to find a way to save the world from sugar overload as well as her family's bakery.
 

Ms. Littlewood has cleverly named not only the people but the snack treats. I am sure you can picture what every snack looks like just by the names. This book is a middle grade book that has a lot of charm and therefore was fun to read as an adult. I liked how the children were the heroes and had to figure out how to save everyone. There are lots of chaotic scenes that are so well written that you could imagine it as a movie. It's sure to give kids a sense of empowerment when they read this tale. This is a perfect book for parents to read to their younger children or have their middle grader read it to them. It is a story for the whole family to enjoy.
 

Rating: 4/5
Find Kathryn:




THE FINISHER
David Baldacci
Middle Grade/Dystopian
512 pages
Scholastic
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Welcome to Wormwood: a place where curiosity is discouraged and no one has ever left.

Until one girl, Vega Jane, discovers a map that suggests a mysterious world beyond the walls. A world with possibilities and creatures beyond her imagining.

But she will be forced to fight for her freedom. And unravelling the truth may cost Vega her life.


CATHY'S THOUGHTS
When Jenny told me she received a book by David Baldacci and wanted me to review it, I accepted readily. I am a fan of Mr. Baldacci and have read many of his adult mystery novels and even stood in line last year at BEA to get a signed copy of his latest thriller. Then Jenny mentioned that this book is a middle grade dystopian/fantasy. That caught my attention and I wanted to see if this new book held the same appeal as his adult novels.
 

The Finisher takes place in a place called Wormland that is surrounded by the Quag. The setting is reminiscent of medieval times. The people live their whole lives in this place in fear of the Quag and the knowledge that there is nothing beyond it. The book has a slow start only because things are unfamiliar and have odd names, but once it gets going you become accustomed to the names and it all starts to flow together nicely. Mr. Baldacci does a good job creating this world, remembering that he is writing a story geared toward middle graders. He gives us a heroine, Vega Jane, who dreams beyond the Quag and bucks the rules of her homeland. Vega Jane is a reluctant heroine but she never tries to find the easy way out. She truly has to fight for her life and the lives of those she loves, while still trying to achieve her dreams.
 

This story is filled with action young readers–and some of us not so young–will enjoy. There is magic, mysterious wild beasts, evil rulers, and great battles. Older readers should keep an open mind however, thinking back to a time when everything was believable and the only goal was to be entertained by strange and amazing things.
 

Mr. Baldacci has brought so many of the elements I love from his thrillers into this book. A story that keeps your attention and has lots of action. I think the ending leaves an opening for the possibility of more books in this series.

Rating: 4/5

Find David:


These books were sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my (or in this case, Cathy's) honest opinion.

30 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on both these books and so glad you enjoyed them both. The Bliss novels look so fun and filled with delightful magic for young readers. David Baldacci's new book for MG readers sounds like it's off to agreat start. Vega Jane sounds like a great reluctant heroine. I can't wait to check both these out. Thanks for the wonderful reviews, Cathy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the reviews! They will take you to a magical place and they were fun to read. Enjoy

      Delete
  2. Oh I didn't know these books but it's intriguing. I confess it's been a while since I read a book for younger persons, I usually stay with YA. But it sounds intriguing and I agree with you I love cozy! I didn't know the second either but I think it could be more for me. Thanks for making me discover these 2 authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not usually a genre I read either, but they were fun entertaining. But then who doesn't enjoy a story about snack cakes!

      Delete
  3. I just want to say how awesome it is that you share this with your mom and mother-in-law. I don't really read MG, but am always looking for books/authors to interest others in my life that do. Baldacci is definitely an author I need to investigate more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jenny is awesome to share this with us. I don't usually read MG either but these were enjoyable. Remember them to those that do read this genre.

      Delete
  4. Your MG book reviews on Littlewood and Baldacci were excellent! LOVED how you shared your personal experiences and feelings about both, but laughed outright on your comment in Bite-Sized Magic on lovin' those snack cakes - just hilarious!
    *snicker* So do I.
    And with The Finisher (you and me are such HUGE Baldacci fans), I must read it. Sounds very good and I really adore his writing. Super job Cathy on these and thanks for the wonderful reviews!!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, thanks for the good thoughts and aren't we lucky Jenny shares this with us? Both of these books were pure fun. Especially snack cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking I need to branch-out and try new genres within the Fantasy / Paranormal genre. Maybe middle grade is the way to go. :) Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's nice to read something I wouldn't normally read, this was a good start. Hope the reviews helped.

      Delete
  7. I do love Baldacci's adult mysteries and have his MG on my shelf -- it sounds pretty darned good. I read the first in the Bliss Bakery story and really enjoyed it. It did make me hungry, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Bliss mysteries were pure fun and pure sugar!! I really do think that they make the snack cakes addictive. Baldacci did a good job on his MG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading cozy mysteries too. It's the one genre that I never bore with. I seriously love the cover of Bite Sized Magic and the story looks like it was a lot of fun for you, Cathy.

    I've never read anything by David Baldacci before, but Finisher sounds great. " There is magic, mysterious wild beasts, evil rulers, and great battles." This is more than enough to convince me to read the book.

    Lovely reviews, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that we are both cozy mystery fan. It is such a pleasure to read them.i was glad to see that David Baldacci was able to transition his writing to MG. Tho I will continue to look for his adult thrillers!

      Delete
  10. My girls love fantasy (way more than I do in fact) and I think they would both really love these! I love the covers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughters will enjoy these books. The best part is that it is a girl, in both books, that save the day. Go girls!

      Delete
  11. The Finisher sounds like it has crossover appeal so I'll add that to my wishlist. The Bliss Bakery series seems very cute but a little young for me. Did you get hungry while reading it, Cathy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to add the Bliss MG series on to my tbr pile immediately. I love those types of books. I'm not sure about the Baldacci one as the premise didn't really grab my attention. Wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bliss story is just delightful. The Baldacci is a magical adventure. I could see it as a movie or even a video game for the MG. Glad you like the reviews.

      Delete
  13. I adore mysteries as well. There is always something about looking for answers that's gives me a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mysteries are so my guilty pleasure and add baking or knitting and I am set to sleuth!

      Delete
  14. Why, hello there Cathy *tries to give a friendly wink, but as always, it turns out more like a twitch* The premise for BITE-SIZED MAGIC is so awesome and I love the celver ames as well :) Plus, they're food related, who doesn't love food ;) I know just the person to recommend this to! As for THE FINISHER, it's so aweosme that MG reads have dystopian genre as well. I think the action would most definitely appear to both genders and I love the sound of some magic in this story :) I'm so happy you enjoyed both of these and thaks for sharing your thoughts! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big hug and wave to you! Thank you for your kind words. The Bliss book is light hearted. The Baldacci is truly an adventure story with great girl heroines!

      Delete
  15. Bite Sized Magic sounds adorable and I love that cover. I've never read David Baldacci, but maybe someday I'll be able to fit him in. I think it's AWESOME, Cathy, that you contribute to Jenny's blog. If only I could convince some family members to guest post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something fun to share and we love talking about books! Like the rest of us, I am sure you have a mountain of books to be read but keep these on the stack somewhere.

      Delete
  16. Mystery solving and baking? Sounds like something I'd totally enjoy too! I'll have to add it to the TBR for sure!
    Thanks for the reviews Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right, I had forgotten Baldacci had ventured into YA

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm looking for books that would suit my cousin's little ones and I do think that you found 2 great choices. These sound so good and don't seem too simple which is perfect. Great reviews Ms. Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I overheard some kids talking about the Baldacci novel at the bookstore and it got me curious. The series is one I've been thinking of getting cause I think my daughter and I would both enjoy it. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also love cozy mysteries, though I hardly ever get the opportunity to read them. Bite Size Magic sounds like such a cute story! I would have loved it as a child (who am I kidding, I would love it now!). Lovely reviews!

    ReplyDelete