Monday, April 4, 2011

Guest Post: Ann Aguirre


I'm thrilled today to welcome Ann Aguirre to the blog to chat a little bit about her upcoming young adult release Enclave. I had the opportunity to read and review Enclave as part of a tour through Teen Book Scene and you can read my review HERE. I absolutely adored this one, and am greatly looking forward to the next book in the series, Outpost.

Let's say you have written yourself as a character in Enclave, can you give us a short anecdote on the number of scars you bear, the name you've been given, and how you came to earn that particular name?

Since I have children, but I'm no fighter, and I have no skill at building or fixing anything, it's pretty clear I'd be a Breeder. That means I'd have only one scar on my arm. Since I'm smart, they'd pair me with a handsome male in the hopes that our children would therefore be reasonably attractive and intelligent. Though all knowledge of genetics has been lost, they do retrain a rudimentary understanding that when you mix two things you sometimes get a combination of qualities in the new product. It's quite likely that I'd end up having babies with Stone, or someone like him.

I'd also share in the responsibility for watching and caring for the young until they grow old enough to start basic brat training. Not school as we know it, but survival skills, crucial for life down below. Unfortunately, even with their best efforts, the infant mortality rate is high and the life span is short, due to privation and quality of life issues. The Wordkeeper maintains charts to keep the breeding schedule as varied as possible, though there are some problems of consanguinity, naturally, which contributes to the decline in population. Being a Breeder is heartbreaking because you must toughen yourself emotionally and not permit yourself to get attached to the young for whom you care. Hence, the rather derogatory name.

If I survived to age 15 and got my name, then my name would be earned by chance, like everyone else. Your name is determined by whatever object your blood spills on when you move your hand after the cut(s). If there are two objects struck, (which happens rarely), the person ends up with a compound name, and everyone makes fun of him for being called Hammershoe, for example.

Thank you so much for stopping by Ann! There are so many fascinating aspects to life in this post apocalyptic environment, so be sure to be at the bookstore on April 12th so you can immerse yourself in Deuce's world! If you want more information on Ann, Enclave, or any of her adult romance and science fiction/fantasy releases, you can find her here:

Website

ENCLAVE (from Goodreads):

New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters—or Freaks—who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight, in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. As the two are guided by Fade’s long-ago memories, they face dangers, and feelings, unlike any they’ve ever known.

15 comments:

  1. I really, really, want to read this one! I've been waiting for months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome man? Sign me up as a breeder, please.

    hehehe

    The Enclave world definitely seems like a survival of the fittest kind of place. It is hard to imagine having to harden yourself so much emotionally so you don't get to attached to those around you.

    Can't wait to read the book. Thanks so much for sharing this guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enclave has such an interesting premise. This guest post combined with your review is making me want to buy it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL- that was great, I love getting to know the authors a little with fun interviews/guest posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riv - Can't wait to see what you think:)

    Missie - Right? Though I'm not sure they'd want any of the traits I could pass on to a "brat", I think maybe a Breeder would be the way to go for me;) Sarcasm is sexy right?

    Misha - It does! Hope you get a chance to read it:)

    Tina - Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome world you've set up! I'm looking forward to reading it!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so need to read this one!
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome question, Jenny! I'm really looking forward to reading this one soon. It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandi - It's fabulous:)

    Blodeuedd - I definitely need to buy myself a copy since I had to mail the ARC on, it's one I need on my shelf.

    Rummanah - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought being a Breeder would be a better job but now I know that its heartbreaking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I am a fighter! I have been put into situations where I had to choose. One time, I was climbing a rock when I was little with my mom. She was holding me back and the guide was moving fast. So I left her there! I know! I felt bad doing it but I was on a roll and she was holding me back. I felt bad afterward but my mom was like, "Well at least I know that you will survive."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting premise and you have such great potential molding the minds of the young as a breeder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny - I know I would get way too attached to the little ones so I would make a poor Breeder probably. I'd be one of the people that builds or creates I think:)

    Savy - Nice, way to leave mom in the dust;)

    Cathy - It's very interesting premise:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this. I'd probably be a fighter. I always say to forget the dog and beware of the human. ;) I would just worry what the name would be... knowing my luck, I'd shudder to think of the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I soo badly want to read this: it sounds amazing! Hmm... I'm not sure... probably I'd be a fighter, but I'm not sure...
    Brilliant interview!

    And thanks for your comment: I'm really enjoying Mockingjay! :)

    ReplyDelete