Friday, June 28, 2013

Character Interview: Zubis + The Genie Ignites


I'm excited today to introduce author Kellyann Zuzulo and her adult paranormal romance, The Genie Ignites, with a behind the scenes interview with the genie himself, Zubis. The Genie Ignites is a finalist in the Abalone Awards for "Outstanding Ethno-Cultural Romance" so I'm thrilled to give you guys a little inside look at this one, I hope you enjoy!

Our reporter caught up to Zubis via satellite in the desert, in a section known as the Empty Quarter or Rub-al-Khali, an area notorious for genie activity. It is the legendary portal to the world of Jinnistan. He appears quite comfortable sitting on a folding canvas chair in a steel-gray linen tunic, open at the neck, and pair of loose, white, gauzy trousers. [In this reporter’s objective opinion, he is devastatingly handsome.]

Reporter: Is it hot there at the edge of the Rub-al-Khali in Saudi Arabia, Mr. Zubis?

Zubis:
[eyebrow goes up] Just Zubis, please. Yes, it can be quite hot. Especially when the lovely Bethany O’Brien stands close.

R: What are you doing in the desert, Zubis?

Z: [appears solemn, though those curlicue glyphs, barely covered by a fall of dense black hair along his brow, have begun to glow.] I await the arrival of Bethany. Only she can liberate me from my 3,000 years of bondage. I was condemned in the time of Solomon and have waited 3,000 years for her to return…. [a glint returns to his golden eyes.]

R: Eh…return? How old is she exactly?

Z: Well, in this incarnation, she is a delectable 32 years old. But her heart first belonged to me when she roamed the earth as the Asima Uruk in the time of Solomon.

R: So what happened to her?

Z: [The rugged lines across his brow deepen with concern.] She died. I was cursed and could not save her.

R: Wow. That’s sad. Now what?

Z: She will come. I will remind her of what we once had and she will be mine again. [He brings his fingers to his lips and his gaze is distant for a moment.]

R: Sounds pretty straightforward. What’s the hold-up?

Ouch! Was that an electrical shock that you just shot at me?!

Z: Hold-up? [He rises to his feet. He is quite large.] Have you ever stood bent against the fury of a harmattan, the gritty West African trade wind, as it bites into your flesh? Have you flicked a scorpion from your ankle before it could strike? Have you felt the unmitigated fury of a female jinni as she uses her wicked wiles to betray your true love? Have you ever lost everything you cared about until only the hope of love remains?

R: Um, no.

Z: Then you should read The Genie Ignites. [He winks and seats himself.]

R: Well, um. Geez. What was I saying? [fanning self] Any wishes left in those snazzy trousers of yours?

Z: [His gaze is steady] I think I could pull one more out…

R: Okay, that’s a wrap! [Speaking to someone off camera: Book me on the next flight to the desert!]

Z: Hold on, lovely. No need to fly. We have the power of the jinn at our disposal. With a flick of your finger, you can download my chronicle and I will meet you there.

R: You got it, handsome! Somebody download The Genie Ignites to my smart phone STAT!

Join me as I fly first class on Genie Air, glass of champagne in hand and nibbling a savory serving of honey-and-currant couscous. Hurry along, now. The second book in Zubis’s series, The Genie Smolders, releases later this month from Boroughs Publishing Group.

Best Wishes,

Kellyann Zuzulo

• • • • • • • • • • 

KELLYANN ZUZULO


 A Philadelphia native, Kellyann Zuzulo received a bachelor's degree in journalism from Temple University and has lived in London, Ireland, Boston and Washington, D.C. She has worked as a reporter for local newspapers and as a writer for Yankee Magazine and national consumer and health magazines; as a book development editor; as a media relations representative; and as a director of communications for nonprofits. Her interest in Middle Eastern mythology and legend stems from her stint as a Managing Editor of Publications for the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C. She is a published author of several genie romance novellas. One book, Angels & Genies, was included in a collection for which Charlaine Harris wrote the foreword. Kellyann lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, three children, and a jaunty terrier named Djin-Djin.


• • • • • • • • • • 

THE GENIE IGNITES


Girl meets genie. They fall in love. Girl gets killed. Genie gets cursed. Three millennia later, she’s reincarnated as a smart, somewhat sardonic 21st century editor who can’t remember the great love of her existence. The genie however, will never forget her.

Bethany O’Brien is a 21st century woman with a career, ambition and bills. She has no recollection of how she once felt about a nearly 4,000-year-old genie named Zubis who suddenly invades her world, but he certainly remembers her. In a previous incarnation, Bethany was an important temple priestess who apprenticed to the djinn. Zubis, powerful and alluring, is infuriatingly bemused by Bethany’s skepticism. Once upon a time, he vowed to love her forever and has no plans of breaking his vow. And although the priestess she once was had been taught that a romance with a djinni must never be, Bethany gradually realizes that her love for Zubis cannot be forgotten. Along with the returning glimmers of her past life, Bethany is forced to confront a mandate from an ancient society to kill the genie of her dreams. 

22 comments:

  1. Hehe, what a fun Interview!!! And I love the idead of Genies as a paranormal creature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I've only read one other book about a genie and loved it, so I'm definitely ready for more!

      Delete
  2. I admit, I haven't read much about Genies, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much about them either, they're a fairly untapped paranormal entity:)

      Delete
  3. I must ask Jenny does your husband know for this interview? I think I know the answer ;) Anyway you always have such a great interviews and I'm sure Zubis won't forget you that easily ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha he does not, but I would only get a head shake and an eye roll most likely. Plus, I didn't come up with these questions, so I can't be held accountable for anything ;-)

      Delete
  4. Loved this book and can't wait to get my hands on the next! Would be a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad to know you loved it:)

      Delete
  5. 3000 years of bondage? Goodness, that sounds better than it must have been. I love the idea of love surviving for millennia. It's the hopeless romantic in me that is attracted to the idea. What can I say, I've tried to both drown and poison the bitch, but she refuses to die.

    What a fun interview.
    Also, I'm back and I missed youuuuu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY MAJA!!!!! I was just getting ready to write you an email to check in, I missed you! I'm a hopeless romantic as well, so we can both hurt for Zubis and swoon over him for his long wait for Bethany.

      Delete
  6. I loved the interview! Genie, woops, Zubis is hilarious. And very hot! This sounds like one of those classic paranormal where both of character are soulmates of sort and have to pass a lot to hurdles to be together. Those are my favorite kinds, they bring out the romance junkie in me. Thanks for sharing it, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sexy genies for the win Aman! Can't wait to get to spend more time with Zubis:)

      Delete
  7. LOL! *fans self* Um. I'll take one ticket to ride on the Jinn Express! (Even though he's in a lot of shadow -- a shame, I say -- this would make a nice Top Off Tuesday cover!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIKEWISE! I think we should all take a little trip...

      Delete
  8. I don't remember the Genie having abs like that in Aladdin. I would have remember them!

    Also, I'm curious about the djinn angle. I haven't seen that explored in fiction much. And speaking of explore? Baaacck to the abs. *stares*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm hi...would it be inappropriate for me to mention that I wanted to lick his abs? Yes? No? Well, either way, he sounds like a hot tamale, and I'll get onboard anything he is...wait...you know what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can always count on you to introduce me to new books, Jenny! You've piqued my interest with this interview so I'll have to give it a shot I think. Thanks for sharing, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa... sexy hot cover... that looks like a worthy top of Tuesday candidate! Happy weekend Jenny! Fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sounds like a book I would enjoy. Hot Djinn? Oh yes, please. :D Unfortunately, I know I would end up with some creepy djinn if I ever found one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a Djinn! All the books I would wish for

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview. Not sure about the cover. Doesn't really capture me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fun interview, and I don't think I've ever had a crush on a Djinn before, so I think it's high time I started. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete