Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Grave Phantoms

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Roaring Twenties #2
Jenn Bennett
Historical/Paranormal Romance
Releases May 5th from Berkley

From Goodreads:

Feisty flapper Astrid Magnusson is home from college and yearning for the one thing that’s always been off limits: Bo Yeung, her notorious bootlegging brother’s second-in-command. Unfortunately her dream of an easy reunion proves difficult after a violent storm sends a mysterious yacht crashing into the Magnussons’ docks. What’s worse, the boat disappeared a year ago, and the survivors are acting strangely…

Bo has worked with the Magnusson family for years, doing whatever is needed, including keeping his boss’s younger sister out of trouble—and his hands to himself. Of course, that isn’t so easy after Astrid has a haunting vision about the yacht’s disappearance, plunging them into an underground world of old money and dark magic. Danger will drive them closer together, but surviving their own forbidden feelings could be the bigger risk.
 

I love a when a series introduces a new couple in each installment (mostly because I crave an HEA every time, and with a series that focuses on the same set of characters book to book, I'm almost always guaranteed some kind of cliffhanger or heartbreak at the end of every installment), particularly when I meet characters in the first book whom I know will be getting their own story down the line. Such was the case with Astrid and Bo, two people who had a great deal of chemistry and tension between them in books one and two, and I've been waiting for their story from the moment they first appeared on page.

Plus, this type of forbidden romance–where two people have known each other for a very long time and have feelings they think they shouldn't due to relationships with friends or family–is the kind of temptation I simply can't resist. In May, Astrid and Bo will most definitely be in my hot little hands!

23 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes, Jenny! I love this series! Jenn Bennett's clever, cheeky writing has me hooked. Fabulous choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is gorgeous and I love books set in the 1920s. I really like when a series is about different characters in each installment because you can jump in at any time. Thank you for sharing this one!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I typed TTT instead of WoW. I'm a day off. Oops!

      Delete
  3. Oh yes! I've been anxious to read their story since the dawn of time! Or so it feels. I loved the first two books, but I think their story will be my favorite, precisely because they danced around eah other for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is really a great pick!! and the cover OMG so beautiful ,, the book sound so interesting I will add it to my TBR :D I know you will like it when you read it Jenny :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I like when each book focuses on a different couple too. As long as I like them. This sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds like a very fun series and your reviews for it as well as Maja's make me want to add them to my wish list!
    I hope you'll adore this one when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoh nice! This is new to me but looks exciting!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, LOVE the time period of the Roaring Twenties, so I really should check out this series. I remember you really liked book one as well. And I agree…forbidden romance… *swoon* Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Jenny. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This series sounds awesome, Jenny and I've got to try it out. Also forbidden romance AND diversity? WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read Grim Shadows, but you know how much I loved the first book - so I'm going to be right there with you in May with grabby hands!
    Like you mentioned, I also love the fact that each book is the focus of a new couple, avoiding that dreaded cliffie feel. Great pick, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes I so want to read this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read this series! I'm also a big fan of forbidden romance between people who've known each other a long time and aren't supposed to be together for pesky reasons (the brother's best friend off limits thing is classic). I'm already rooting for Astrid and Bo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not until May??? Still, I need to read the second one so I have time. I loved the first one and I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, I really enjoyed the first book. And LOVE this era, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so need to start this series Jenny! I know how you and Kim just love it. Okay, I am will make it a priority this year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am the complete opposite of you, Jenny! I crave series' that focus on one main couple because I get to see my favorite couples in their HEA (well that depends on the series.. I don't like lots of heartbreak and drama either so there is that)!

    I read Bitter Spirits a while ago and absolutely adored it (BUT IT'S JENN BENNETT and she is amahzing) but I never really continued on with the series.....

    Gahhh I hope this book will be as amazing as it sounds (and Jenn did say something about it taking place around the time of the great depression which is so awesomeee unless that was book 4... i cannot quite remember).

    I hope you love it, Jenny!!! :')

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still need to read that first book! I want it! Must read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still need to read the first book! I love the sound of this series, and it's been sitting on my shelf forever!

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't realise that this book was part of a series, but I'm all for forbidden relationships between characters who have know each other for a while. You have me interested in seeing how this relationship would unfold! Great pick Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you, I've absolutely ADORED this series so I can't wait to read this final novel. Bennett writes some of the best books and she's so consistently good that I know I can count on her to deliver. Fantastic pick, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving the era of this series! Can't believe it's the end.

    ReplyDelete