Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday: The Valiant

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Lesley Livingston
Young Adult/Fantasy/Historical
Releases February 2017 from Razorbill

From Amazon:

Princess. Captive. Gladiator. Always a Warrior.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king and the younger sister of the legendary fighter Sorcha. When Fallon was just a child, Sorcha was killed by the armies of Julius Caesar.

On the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is excited to follow in her sister's footsteps and earn her place in her father's war band. She never gets the chance.

Fallon is captured and sold to an elite training school for female gladiators—owned by none other than Julius Caesar himself. In a cruel twist of fate, the man who destroyed Fallon’s family might be her only hope of survival.

Now, Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries, deadly fights in and out of the arena, and perhaps the most dangerous threat of all: her irresistible feelings for Cai, a young Roman soldier and her sworn enemy. 

A richly imagined fantasy for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Cinda Williams Chima, The Valiant recounts Fallon’s gripping journey from fierce Celtic princess to legendary gladiator and darling of the Roman empire.

A female gladiator? YES AND PLEASE! While the type on this cover is a little underwhelming, especially when compared to the general badassery of the girl showing Rome what's what from the floor of the arena, as soon as I saw this I wanted to know more about her. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies (ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!) (don't judge me), so I'm already obsessing over Fallon and the things that await her in the pit. I'm so intrigued by her I almost don't even care about the enemies-to-lovers romance with Cai. Almost. Okay, the romance of course is right up my alley, but I need it to be February so Fallon can show how epic a gladiator she can be!

19 comments:

  1. Female gladiator?? YES PLEASE!!!! *runs to add to GR*
    Thank you for putting this one on my radar, Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh nice! Seeing a lot of this one! Looks like an incredible read! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh! Gladiator is one of my favorite movies as well. This sounds like a must-read for me. When I visited the Colosseum, I wanted to yell, "Are you not entertained??" haha. Thanks for sharing this one. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover totally made me think of the new Wonder Woman trailer that just released so I'm really excited to dive into this because a female gladiator sounds soo kick-ass! I hadn't heard of this before but it's going straight to the TBR--thanks for yet another great rec, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book blew up my GR feed last week as soon as the cover came out it was EVERYWHERE! It sounds really badass but it also sounds very similar to the Gladiator movie so I think I'll wait to read some early reviews before adding it to my tbr shelf :) I hope it's awesome though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOAH!! That sounds and looks amazing, Jenny. I'm so in for this! I hope it's bloody and badass and gruesome! And heck yes to that romance. It's screaming my name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I don't often get excited about books anymore but that looks awesome!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking that I didn't care for the cover. Too posed. Oh but female gladiator? Yea, totally curious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've the author's debut faerie series before my blogging years and I enjoyed them. I think I will give this one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my heart! You had me at female gladiator. Thanks for sharing!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw this yesterday and it looked so good, I agree Jenny, great pick. And yes, the cover whore in me is digging the cover. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen this, and I like the idea of a female gladiator. I will keep a look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, even though I don't usually do historicals, I think I need this! Awesome pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another unusual read added to my TBR. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well isn't that cover all sorts of bad ass! I hadn't heard of this one yet but yes please! Adding to GR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fierce! It's been a while since I've heard from this author. High time, I say!

    ReplyDelete