Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review: The Lying Game

THE LYING GAME (Lying Game #1)
Sara Shepard
Young Adult
307 pages
Harper Teen
Releases December 7th
Received from publisher via NetGalley

THE STORY
Emma's life is far from perfect. So far from perfect it's almost laughable really. Abandoned by her mother at a young age, she's been bounced from one foster home to the next, and now is just weeks away from turning eighteen and becoming responsible for herself. In a bid to get her removed from her latest family early, her foster brother shows his mother a video of a young woman who looks identical to Emma getting strangled and slumping lifeless in a chair, only to open her eyes a few minutes later. Left to assume Emma's into some less than savory activities, her foster mother asks that she leave immediately.

Completely shocked by the girl on the video and with nowhere to go, Emma contacts and sets out in search of Sutton Mercer, the young woman who shares her face. Thinking it's a twist of fate and she's about to meet a long lost twin, Emma arrives in Sutton's hometown only to find no sister waiting for her. Sutton's friends and family mistake Emma for her twin, no one apparently aware Sutton is missing, and she's quickly swept up in a life unlike anything she's ever known.

Just as Emma's life was never easy, she quickly learns Sutton had quite a few problems of her own. As the ringleader of a group of cruel and selfish girls, Sutton had a multitude of individuals with innumerable reasons to wish her harm, and Emma struggles to figure out who might have taken a simple prank too far and actually ended Sutton's life, as it's clear she's not coming back. More alone than ever despite being surrounded by the seemingly ideal life, Emma burrows deeper into the background of a sister, a stranger, and an apparent murder victim.

MY THOUGHTS
Twisted and deeply knotted with strand after strand of possible truths, The Lying Game is a story in which there are no certainties no matter how often our mind assures us things are what they appear to be. We travel forward with Emma, supposedly in a straight line, only to find at some point along the way we've rounded multiple corners without our knowledge and are no longer progressing along the same route we started. We are but rats in a maze, hapless and floundering, as Ms. Shepard erects walls and positions them accordingly, forcing us to follow her desired route as she leads us deeper into the murky interior of a mysterious labyrinth full of secrets, mistakes, and unknown adversaries. The correct path, the one lined with the answers we seek, is nothing but conjecture and the theories we concoct with every morsel of information we stumble across are as thin as gossamer threads, fleeting in and out of plausibility the farther in the maze we trudge.

This story is unique in its telling, giving us a third person point of view as we follow Emma's assimilation into a life not her own, but this perspective is interrupted intermittently by flashes of first person thoughts and memories from Sutton herself. Sutton, in spirit form, is in fact our narrator, attached to Emma in a way where she can only see and hear the things Emma does and has little to no memory of the events leading up to her death. Thus we are granted access to both sisters, each revealing pieces of Sutton's life to us from drastically different perspectives–an outsider's questions and musings stem from Emma, and limited but extremely telling remembrances occasionally flow from Sutton. Emma's unfamiliarity with Sutton makes her impressionable, with little choice other than to believe the evidence she uncovers, and when her observations are combined with Sutton's muddled recollections of the girl she used to be, we are given a more thorough, though not necessarily clearer, understanding of one Sutton Mercer. Left alone with Emma, we might believe as she believes and follow the logic we are presented, but with the addition of a disembodied and amnesiac Sutton, we are forced to question, suspect, and theorize far more deeply and abstractly.

Sutton is a completely fascinating young lady, one who's personality is fundamentally split in two as a result of her death. One the one hand, we have the girl Emma is impersonating, a callous, egocentric and somewhat diabolical little girl leading a charmed life. Then there's the spirit of Sutton, a repentant and confused woman who seems as horrified as Emma by the truths revealed about herself. We want badly to believe in deceased Sutton, to view her with sympathy for the fate she's apparently suffered, but there's a lingering sense of disquiet and a residue from her previous life that yet clings to her, refusing to let us drop our suspicions entirely. Every little detail seems to be part of a larger game, forcing us to question whether we are side by side with friend or foe and whether we are chest deep in trouble with victim or villain.

The more information we are provided, the more the faith in our previous knowledge wavers until we reach an ending that brings us full circle yet sets us firmly back on square one. The Lying Game is a three hundred page question mark, one that appears to be slowly unraveling a truly puzzling set of circumstances, but is ultimately weaving more complicated knots, each more difficult to untie than the last. With the turn of the first page, we effectively set our first chess piece on the board, indicating the game has begun and we are now at the mercy of the moves and whims of a very intimidating opponent in Ms. Shepard. I never have been one for losing, so bring on book two, my game face is now firmly in place.

Rating: 4/5

25 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. Although I hate liars, this book seem to have everything I would like in it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a standalone? It looks like it, but the title is so similar to Pretty Little Liars that I'm not sure.

    Have you read PLL? I haven't but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your review for this, Jenny! I loved PLL (even though I've only read the first one), so I'm excited to read this! I'm curious like Alison, though...do you know if it's a standalone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savy - I think you would like it, it's really an interesting read:)

    Alison - No, it's the start to a new series. I haven't read PLL but after reading this one, it's a series I want to go back and start.

    Melissa - Thank you! I know this is the start to a series but I have no idea how many books it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds so good. I like how Sutton doesn't remember stuff. Sounds like it adds a new layer to things.

    I read PLL, and while there's a lot I don't like about it, I can't help but get sucked into them. It's very much a love hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first review I read for this book and you totally have me sold. I love how it's mysterious and keeps you guessing the whole way through. I like how you describe it as a game. I'll definitely be looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great read - I was always hesitant to pick up these sorts of books because I always had the impression that they seem to be a lot of HS melodrama. Your review has led me to reconsider - I have it on request from the library now. Thanks!

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't read the review because I'm in the middle of reading this one right now, but I'm loving it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Small - It definitely does and made the whole story a lot more mysterious.

    Adriana - Thanks! I really enjoyed it though I will say if unanswered questions bother you, this book might drive you crazy as she's not in a hurry to answer anything for us:)

    Linds - Not too much HS angst in this one, it's much more of a mystery. Hope you like it!

    Katie - Can't wait to see what you think when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whooohooo! This sounds like a fun book to read. I love an author that is so adept at spinning a yarn that the reader can't tell the back from the front.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good review! I love the way you described things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I admit I was addicted to the Pretty Little Liars tv show this summer, so this book is looking very appealing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know... I wasn't that interested in this book, but now... hmm... darn it! I have to increase my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 300 page question mark?! Well, that is certainly intriguing.

    With the twins and the change of tense, this one might be too complex for my simple mind, but I'd be up for the challenge. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE TWINS!! I'm not really sure why but I find them fascinating. I will have to check this one out.

    Also, HERE is an award to let you know how much I like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carissa - It's a good one, I enjoyed being completely clueless:)

    Ashley - thanks! I enjoyed yours as well.

    Aylee - I'm sure you'll like this one, I need to read the PLL series, I'm definitely a fan of her storytelling.

    Melissa - Oh, I hope you like it! My wishlist increases every single day. It's ridiculous.

    Missie - Yes, lots and lots of questions. If that type of thing bothers you, probably not the book for you. And hardly have a simple mind, you'd definitely be able to keep up!

    Megan - You should, the twin aspect is very interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book gives me such creepy vibes. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review. I am fan of complex plots. I was unsure of this but you have definitely encouraged me to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a promising beginning to a series. I like the complex part of it---those are often the ones that keep you hooked from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed this one too. I can't wait to find out more. It's such a fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michelle - Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    Nic - If you like complex plots, you'll have fun with this one:)

    Felicia - Definitely, and it was so confusing that it got to be frustrating, it was just complex enough to keep you on your toes.

    Leanna - Me either, I'm ready for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to read this one!!!!! Love books that aren't predictable =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've nearly completed this one, was badly hoping for some sort of resolution. From reading your review, it sounds like a cliffhanger ending. I am hooked, hope book two comes out soon. I felt this was a really good book.

    PS: I'm a new follower. Looks like you really like young adult books, me too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi to all, how is everything, I think every one
    is getting more from this web page, and your views are pleasant for new visitors.



    Take a look at my weblog :: Diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  25. gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)
    obat penghilang polip hidung tradisional

    ReplyDelete