Monday, December 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesday: The Greyfriar


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading and here's how it works:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share a snippet from somewhere on that page but be careful not to include spoilers

My teaser this week is from The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith:

Wiping the excess blood from his lips with the back of his hand, Gareth strode back into the forest to his human clothes. Adele would wake soon, and then they would move on. Soon he would have to reveal himself to her, and he knew what her reaction would be.

His numb heart broke at that realization.



THE GREYFRIAR (Vampire Empire #1) from Barnes and Noble:

In the year 1870, a horrible plague of vampires swept over the northern regions of the world. Millions of humans were killed outright. Millions more died of disease and famine due to the havoc that followed. Within two years, once-great cities were shrouded by the gray empire of the vampire clans. Human refugees fled south to the tropics because vampires could not tolerate the constant heat there. They brought technology and a feverish drive to reestablish their shattered societies of steam and iron amid the mosques of Alexandria, the torrid quietude of Panama, or the green temples of Malaya.

It is now 2020 and a bloody reckoning is coming.

Princess Adele is heir to the Empire of Equatoria, a remnant of the old tropical British Empire. She is quick with her wit as well as with a sword or gun. She is eager for an adventure before she settles into a life of duty and political marriage to a man she does not know. But her quest turns black when she becomes the target of a merciless vampire clan. Her only protector is the Greyfriar, a mysterious hero who fights the vampires from deep within their territory. Their dangerous relationship plays out against an approaching war to the death between humankind and the vampire clans.

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) is the first book in a trilogy of high adventure and alternate history. Combining rousing pulp action with steampunk style, the Vampire Empire series brings epic political themes to life within a story of heartbreaking romance, sacrifice, and heroism.

37 comments:

  1. I noticed the Steampunk glasses/goggles on the page right away :)
    How different - is that the latest cross-genre fiction trend?!!

    My teaser is up at www.readseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arg! Everyone has this book but me! I saw it on an IMM post at Manga Maniac Cafe and have been looking for it ever since. Read it quickly so I can see what you think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! Why have I not heard of this book? Can't wait for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vampires and steampunk..This almost can't go wrong. Hope you enjoy it (:

    My teaser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, sounds good, and a little dark. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this in someone's Mailbox yesterday and I immediately added it to my TBR list! Looks like a good one! Great teaser! This week my teaser is from The Iron Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser! Can't wait to see what you think of this book...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steampunk and vampires...that's a first. Is this YA?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teaser! I'm adding this to my wishlist! I heard it's so good!

    Here’s my teaser: http://shusky20.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesdays-personal-demons-by-lisa.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent teaser! I've never heard of this trilogy before but it sounds like something I might enjoy reading. How are you liking the book so far?

    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm Interesting.

    Here's mine- http://gnbstacks.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, now this one intrigues me....maybe I've finally found a vampire story that will work for me.

    Here's my TT:

    (click on my name)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds good! Great teaser. My TT is at Coffee Table Press

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like something I'd definitely love to read. Thanks for sharing :D
    You can find my teaser at The Bookish Snob Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds an interesting mix, thanks for the teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like an interesting twist to the typical vampire stories. All I kept thinking about while reading the synopsis was Greyback from Harry Potter because it's so close to Greyfriar lol. Hope you enjoy your book and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need a break from vamps, but this looks interesting. Nice teaser. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES! You're reading The Greyfriar! This book was SO good in my opinion, and I loved it. I really hope you are loving it, too...and that's one heck of a teaser! Great pick, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this book. I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that is good teaser! I can't wait to get a hold of the book myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great teaser! Mine comes from ROOM by Emma Donoghue this week. Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome teaser! I love anything w/ vamps :).

    Happy Holidays,
    Zakiya - My teasers this week

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic teaser, as usual :-) I've been hearing a lot of great things about Greyfriar, so I think I'll pop round my local bookshop and take a peek :-)

    Darkeva

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh, blood dripping! Love it. I really want to pick this one up. I'll be looking forward to your review on it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL- I cant decide if this cover looks cheesy or genius...the googles are not doing it for me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Here is my teaser from Lipstick in Afghanistan by Roberta Gately (Page 1):

    "Do you hear it?" The voice was almost a whisper.

    Elsa held her breath, and then she heard it too, a faint rustling of footsteps over twigs and leaves. Out of the corner of her eye, she glimpsed several shadowy figures darting through the trees, and when she turned, she saw a glint of sunlight reflecting off the barrel of an assault rifle.

    There was no denying it—the Taliban had found them.

    Oh, Jesus! she thought. We'll never escape.

    Elsa knew the Taliban's ruthless hatred; the death and destruction they wrought was undeniable.

    Seized by a sickening wave of fear, she wanted to cry or throw up, but there was no time. She tried to catch Parween's eye, but her friend was looking back, intent on finding the source of the sound.

    "Run!" someone shouted, and suddenly, the chase was on.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book has been popping up alot. Seeing the cover now makes me more interested. Love the names... Gareth, Adele, Greyfriar.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why haven't I heard of this one before? It's sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't wait to read this , Wonderful teaser makes me want it even more.
    Happy Holidays

    My Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally got the steampunk with vampires vibe from the cover. It looks interesting and can't believe I'm just hearing about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a great teaser! I have this one on my WANT list. Hope you are enjoying it. ;)

    If you would like to stop by I have a teaser up as well...
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesday-54.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a new vampire book for me. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice! I keep seeing this book around, might need to break down and get it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! This sounds like it is a great book. Definitely going on my TBR list.

    Mine is up! Tuesday Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  35. I haven't heard of The Greyfriar but your teaser sounds super interesting. I'm looking forward to reading your review before I decide whether I should add it to my massive list of books I wish I could get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This book sounds amazing!
    Must get!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete