Saturday, February 25, 2012

Guest Post: T.P. Boje + The Afterlife Series


Today I have author T.P. Boje taking over the blog briefly to make us all consider a very interesting question addressed by her young adult paranormal romance Afterlife series. Welcome to Supernatural Snark T.P.!

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHERE YOU GO WHEN YOU DIE?

Haven’t we all at some point? I used to do it a lot as a kid. Is heaven for real and what is it going to be like once I get there? What kind of a body will I have? What will I look like? Will all of my family come with me? Will I meet my grandmother there?

When I was a child I remember reading Astrid Lindgren’s “The Brothers Lionheart”. To those who don’t know it, it is a book about two brothers that both die and go to the country Nangijala, a land in "the campfires and storytelling days". Here the brothers experience great adventures. Together with a resistance group they lead the struggle against the evil Tengil, who rules with the aid of the fearsome fire-breathing dragon Katla. It is really a very beautiful book and I remember how it made me look upon death in a totally different way. Like it could actually be a new adventure.

As I grew up I never thought much about life after death and if there really was one or not. I was busy living my life and thinking about my life here on earth. But then one day not many months ago a thought just popped into my head. What if we have to go to school when we die?

As it so often happens, the thought wouldn’t go away again once it had come into my head, and I started playing with the idea. If it is true that we leave our bodies here on earth, then we must have some new body on the other side, right? And it would probably take some time to get used to that new body. And how about going through walls and doors and stuff? I mean if we become spirits then we would have to learn how to do all those things, right? And what about flying? That is not something that comes to us easily. We would have to practice first, right? And someone would have to teach us. So eventually I started imagining this school that we all had to graduate from in order to be let into heaven, and soon Meghan popped into my head and started walking around in that school - that just had to be run by angels. She soon made some friends and fell in love (as it often happens when you are sixteen). And that was when the problems began. Because the boy was still human, living on earth, so how could they ever be together?

That was when I realized that a book-series was born. And just like the book “The Brothers Lionheart” from my childhood, it was about how dying is only the beginning of the next great adventure.

Thanks so much for taking the time to be here today T.P.! More information on T.P. and the Afterlife series can be found here:

Website
Goodreads
Amazon

BEYOND (Afterlife #1)

(Beyond is currently free as a Kindle ebook on Amazon for Prime members, and just $.99 for everyone else, get it HERE)

Have you ever wondered where you go when you die?

Meghan is 16 when it happens to her. She wakes up on a flying steamboat on her way to a school run by Angels in a white marble castle. She meets Mick who helps her through a difficult time in a different world filled with heavenly magic. One day she finds a mirror in the cellar of the school and goes through it. She ends up back on earth where she meets Jason. But Jason is in danger and Meghan knows something important.

Soon she will have to choose between the two worlds.

The one she belongs to now, and the one she left.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting post! The afterlife is probably something I think about a bit too much, but it's great to hear how the author came up with the ideas for her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I loveeee Bröderna Lejonhjärta. Not that I've read it, but I watched the movie (including her other work) a lot as a kid:) She actually developed my love for reading! But, moving on!

    Fact: I'm now SUPER curious about this series. o: It sounds really interesting and just like something I'd enjoy to read as well. I love the way it was developed too, because they're real good reflections! Loved the post:) Will have to check out your series for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Jenny!! How do you always manage to find these amazing books that I've never heard of before?? This series sounds SO COOL! I never thought about that before -- having to go to school after you're already dead? What an insanely fun idea! :)

    Really awesome guest post, T.P.! I love how your inspiration came to you -- when an idea just popped into your head and you couldn't stop thinking about it. That's how the best books are formed, I think! It's definitely how I find my ideas too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea for a book series.It does make you think about the possibilities in the afterlife, and I can honestly say I never thought it entailed school. Clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many possibilities about what really happens after our spirit leaves our body. But school? Huh. I was hoping for rooms of chocolate and hot men with eight-packs. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is an interesting concept! Very interesting, but I don't want to have to go to school again! I just want to go for the fun stuff and I want to meet my husband when he was young!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy how book ideas form sometimes...Nice guest post, TP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the guest post! I believe I have the first book! i need to read faster (as if I don;'t read fast enough already!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just won this one, excited to jump into it.

    ReplyDelete