Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: Graffiti Moon

GRAFFITI MOON
Cath Crowley
Contemporary Young Adult
264 Pages
Knopf Books for Young Readers
Available February 14th
Received through NetGalley for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.


MY THOUGHTS
Like stepping from the soft, muted whites and grays of winter into the bright, vibrant colors of spring, Graffiti Moon surprises us with a rich beauty we weren’t necessarily expecting, forcing us to see temporarily through the eyes of two unique individuals for whom the world is both canvas and muse for their art. Reading from the points of view of both Ed and Lucy has us longing for the ability to see as they do; to find levels of meaning in the seemingly mundane and be able to express and interpret our emotions (as well as the emotions of others) through the use of bold colors and images that speak louder and truer than words ever could. For a short time reds, blues, and greens are not simply colors, instead they represent levels of feeling in a completely foreign yet distinctly understandable way thanks to Ms. Crowley's careful crafting of two people who help guide us through their Technicolor world where life is depicted through graphics, glass, and poetry.

Lucy is a young woman easy to love, full of fire and sass with a penchant for breaking boys’ noses when they attempt to grab any part of her anatomy she’s not given them permission to touch. She speaks her mind but not in an abrasive or overly opinionated way, instead simply preferring to live out loud and tell the world her own beautifully unique view of it. She doesn’t see things through only rose-tinted glasses, but rather the glasses she filters her friends, family, and surroundings through are gloriously multi-hued, and she chooses to stop and interpret things in a way others might not take the added time to do. Her relationship with Ed is brimming with tension given their past history and the secrets he’s keeping from her, and watching the two of them relate to one another as they haven’t been able to with another person is a joy we are thankful we have the opportunity to witness.

Ed is a young man who exists in dualities, baring his soul to the world through his graffiti work yet hiding not only his identity, but also the parts of himself he doesn’t feel other people would understand, in the empty spaces surrounding the bright tones of his artwork. He is as much a shadow as his graffiti persona suggests, keeping himself very much in the dark and allowing his perceived shortcomings to keep the colorful intensity expressed in his paintings locked up tight in the guise of a ghost artist. Little by little over the course of his night with Lucy we see that color start to leak through–attracted to the light she emits so brightly–as she slowly starts to draw the fear out of some of his secrets and makes them seem not quite as threatening as they once were.

Graffiti Moon is an extremely quick read, full of humorous interactions between Ed and Lucy who both have quick wits and sharp minds, and rich with details that illustrate just how well art can help people communicate with others and understand themselves. The romance between our two protagonists and narrators exists not in the physical—touches between them being few and far between—but rather in possibilities, giving us glimpses of how they could be together without ever showing us the full picture. We get to interpret what we will about them and their future, just as they interpret the world around them so fascinatingly, and therefore for the duration of the time we spend reading we find ourselves a little more like Lucy and Ed than we were before picking their story up.

Rating 4/5

40 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intense but worthwhile read! I added this one to my wishlist a few weeks ago because I started hearing tons of great things about it, and you've convinced me that that was a good decision! Lucy sounds like a character I would love to meet in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely! It's reading reviews like this that make me wonder why I don't read more contemporary. I know I would love the symbolism in the way colours and art are used throughout the novel, even if I am really more scientifically-minded than artsy. I also like how the ending sounds like it was left open a bit for the reader to come up with their own picture. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, forgot to add, love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I wish more Australian YA lit was out there in the US.
    Love the header. I noticed it when Aylee commented about it. How long has it been there? Sorry for being clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't entirely sure if I should read this or not but your review has completely convinced me! I think I'm going to really like Ed and Lucy, they sound like really great characters :) Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie - I just really liked this one. It was a quick story and takes place all in one night, but it felt like a lot happened:)

    Aylee - I don't read much contemporary either, but I'd heard good things about this one and I thought it was written beautifully:) Thanks for the compliment on the header too!

    Alison - Me too! I just saw NIGHT BEACH go up on NetGalley and cried a little when it was only for Australian bloggers:( And the header just went up at the end of last week, so it's only been a few days:)

    Kim - I thought they were awesome characters, and I loved how they looked at the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read a lot of YA and was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I can't wait to read more book by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adored Graffiti Moon! I loved that it took place over one night and Lucy and Ed were fantastic characters. I loved watching their relationship unfold. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, what a BEAUTIFUL review, Jenny!! <3 I was planning on buying this one because one of my good friends just recommended it to me and I just love graffiti & poetry, so your review is making me squeal with excitement! Lucy and Ed and their not physical but posibility-filled romance... The way you worded it sounds sort of magical!

    Amazingly beautiful review, Jenny! I can't wait until I can manage to get my hands on this one -- and that cover is really pretty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard nothing but good things about this book. It may have to go on the ever growing TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I plan to read this next week Im really psyched it sounds great and witch an actually wonderful romance!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simcha - Yay! So glad you enjoyed it too:)

    Tiffany - Me too. I thought there relationship was really sweet and romantic, especially considering they barely even kiss:)

    Mimi - I think you'll love this one! I would definitely say the way it's written has a magical quality, the world Ed and Lucy see is really beautiful:)

    Amanda - DO IT! It's a super quick read:)

    Giselle - Oh good! Looking forward to seeing what you think:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your opening lines sold me......

    I need to find this book, I thought it was an Aussie one..Im actually not going to put this on the TBR, Im going to go to Amazon and buy it...:D

    PS- did I tell you I love the new header....!!! The colors are perfect, they scream Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like such a wonderful, complex, and beautifully written novel! It's reasons like these that I love reading contemporary YA. So glad we got a chance to read an Australian YA novel thanks to NG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another good one :) You are such a lucky YA reader

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ed sounds like one of those beautifully broken characters that is not really broken, only fractured in some ways. Can't wait to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously- this is one of my FAVORITE books EVER!!!!!! I was in looooove with 'Poet'... I think I'm going to read it again just because!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tina - It is an Aussie title, it released there a while back, but they're finally releasing it here. YAY! And thanks for the compliment on the header:)

    Rummanah - It is beautifully written! I want to see the world the way Lucy and Ed see it, even for just a little while:)

    Linda - Thanks! I really enjoyed this one:)

    Missie - That's the perfect way to describe him:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful review as always, Jenny! I've noticed most people seem to have nothing but good things to say about this book, or I guess just nothing but good things to say about Cath Crowley's books in general. :D It does sound amazing so I'm hoping I can get round to it soon. *eyes the TBR pile*...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one's been on my shelf for a couple months. I really do need to pick it up because you make it sound absolutely lovely. I simply can't wait to pick up Lucy and Ed and view a world that is so beautiful and technicolor! *le sigh* I wish I had a pair of Lucy's multi-colored glasses. Mine aren't rosy, but hers sound better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your review and I don't think I would have considered reading Graffiti Moon before but now I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sam - Thank you! I know the feeling, I keep eying my TBR pile too, especially with all the awesome books coming out in the next few months. I know it's only going to grow:)

    Jen - I think you'll like it:) It's just a fun, quick read and Ed and Lucy are highly enjoyable:)

    Jenny - Yay! Glad I could help sway you:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard nothing but good things about this book. It is coming up next for me. I can't wait to read it. Any girl who breaks guys' noses for grabbing her anatomy sounds like a girl I will like!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OooOo your review definitely makes me want to read it - plus i never saw this book before so THANKS!!!

    Oh and I looove sassy characters so she sounds like a character I would totally enjoy :)) Oh and I'm totally up for a fun fast read :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog is all different and pretty! :) Me likey!

    I loved all of the details too! :) I really, really did! I love art so I loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've heard so many amazing things about this book and can't wait to read it! I've been a little burnt out on contemporary but hopefully that passes so I'll be ready to get this one once it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First of all--Jenny, I love the new layout! It's so cute! <3

    Graffiti Moon sounds like such a great read; I love the sound of Ed's complexity, and I'm always down for a quick read. I'm definitely going to pick this up soon! Thanks for the review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've heard SO many good things about this one, and I think I need to try it! Honestly, I love a quick read with a lot of heart - this sounds perfect...

    and YES...I'm back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved Lucy's spunkiness and her ability to not put up with any crap. ;) And Ed--what a hunk!!! An artist and a bit of a bad boy! YES! =D Glad you loved this one as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now that's why you have 29 comments and I have 6! What an awesome review!
    You wrote Lucy's personality exactly right! So easy to love and admire! And Ed, you got him so spot on! You've written such a wonderful review of this book! It was such a great book I don't know many YA readers that wouldn't love it.
    Excellent review, Jenny!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gosh, everyone raves about this book--now ask me why I still haven't read it after having the galley for literally six months? I DON'T KNOW.

    I'm glad to see you liked this so much, Jenny! Thanks for the amazing review.

    IMAGINARY GIRLS author Nova Ren Suma shares her Favorite Romantic Scene at The Midnight Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw this book all of WoW, the premise sounds great. I'm glad it's getting good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the way you make the romance sound in this one, Jenny. Sometimes it's nice to not have a physically intense relationship or be told by the author how two people feel about each other, but let the reader imagine what the future holds for them.

    Lol, I love that Lucy punches guys when they go farther than she wants. I'd probably end up breaking my own hand if I copied her.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful love story. I don't read a lot of contemp but this quick, humorous, rich read sounds like something I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've heard so many great and awesome things about this book - literally not one negative thing AT ALL. I've had it for awhile now and hope to get to it soon. I don't *love* contemporaries but I do want to give this one a try!

    Brilliant review, Jenny, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aw, I love the sound of this one! It sounds like a really sweet read. I don't know why I haven't read more about this before, but now I'm definitely curious. I love how you describe their romance... Yep. It needs to go on the to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh great! I can't wait to get to it. I fear I may be quite late from the publication date though. However, it's already loaded up on my ereader ready to go! I love what you said about interpreting for ourselves about them and their future. Sometimes I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww, loved your review! I loved this book! This book made me laugh and smile so much!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I feel like this one's been out a while since I've heard a lot about it but no. Huh. Still, it sounds fab--I do love a sassy girl who's not afraid to defend her anatomy and there's just something about a quiet, artistic boy that sets my heart to pitter-patting. *sigh* Definitely belongs in my classroom library!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just loveddddd this one. Glad you liked it too, and I love the way you describe it. =)

    ReplyDelete