Monday, December 17, 2012

Review: Crimson Frost

CRIMSON FROST
Mythos Academy #4
Jennifer Estep
Paranormal Young Adult
384 pages
Kensington Teen
Available December 24th
Received from author for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…


MY THOUGHTS
As with all the books that have come before it, Crimson Frost beautifully combines an action-packed plot with a strong emotional thread; love, hate, passion, and fear all intricately woven through the battles and the blood to give us story that acts as a perfectly balanced and honed blade – able to inflict wounds easily even as we see hope through the haze of pain. This fourth installment is the most intense yet on both physical and emotional levels, the repercussions of Loki's release at the end of the last book detailed in all their infuriating glory as Gwen bears the full weight of the backlash on her young shoulders. Our love for her and our desire to protect her has never been stronger than it is in Crimson Frost, tears threatening to spill from our eyes at what Gwen has to endure as a result of the label of traitor she's mistakenly assigned, but even as our hearts feel heavy in our chests throughout, Ms. Estep always provides us with moments of relief just when we need them most.

The Gwen Frost of this book is a far cry from the Gwen Frost of the first book even though not all that much time has passed since we first met her, the self-imposed isolation and hesitancy to fully embrace the mythological world almost entirely gone, and a determination and will to succeed however dire the circumstances have taken their place. Part of Gwen's appeal is in her lack of fighting prowess, her ordinary human strength something familiar and comforting amidst the Spartans and Valkyries even as her psychometry magic sets her apart, and we can't help but want to root for her all the more when she stumbles in battle and often emerges the loser rather than the victor. Despite the fact that she's often defeated in hand to hand combat, she never once gives up, sulks, or whines that she's just not good enough, instead she picks up talking sword Vic, lets his blood-thirsty pre-battle talk rile her up, and jumps into the fray to protect those she loves.

Gwen's romance with Spartan Logan Quinn has always been a prominent element in these books–but never an overwhelming one–teasing us with the palpable tension between them without allowing their relationship to become the sole focus of the story. In this installment, their relationship is a bit more in the background than it has been in books past, but though the fight with Loki takes precedence, Ms. Estep never lets their affection fade completely into the shadows of the Reapers, always subtly reminding us of their growing feelings for one another. Once we reach the concluding chapters however, Gwen and Logan's relationship is painfully thrust into the spotlight, and we're left with hearts raw and bruised after a rather sound trampling, hoping and wishing the release date for book five could be moved up by several months to ease the suffering caused by waiting.

Overall, Crimson Frost is the best book of the series yet, challenging the characters and us as readers at every turn, and showing us just how difficult life at Mythos Academy can really be. While much of Gwen's story is dark, humor keeps that darkness from enshrouding us completely, Vic's antics and constant boasts of how brilliant a fighter he would be if Gwen would just point him at a Reaper and let him have at it putting a smile on our faces and lightening the burden Gwen carries with such grace. This series continues to get better as it goes, with each book released only further solidifying Ms. Estep's place on my list of favorite authors.

Rating: 4.5/5

35 comments:

  1. I'm back from my blogging hiatus ... only to find out that you know what happens in Crimson Frost *glares and pouts*

    I'm a little tired so I'm just going to put my thoughts beside some of your sentences :)

    "Part of Gwen's appeal is in her lack of fighting prowess, her ordinary human strength something familiar and comforting ..." This is why I love her too!
    "In this installment, their relationship is a bit more in the background than it has been in books past ..." Aw man ..."Once we reach the concluding chapters however, Gwen and Logan's relationship is painfully thrust into the spotlight, and we're left with hearts raw and bruised after a rather sound trampling"Uh oh
    "Overall, Crimson Frost is the best book of the series yet ..." Give me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, WELCOME BACK Z! This was my favorite of the series, I can't wait for you to read it and then we can talk about it:)

      Delete
  2. Ah!! I must read these books! But, I'll have tons of time to read when I'm on holidays after Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy this series Danny! It's got everything we love in a book, mainly a great romance and a strong female lead:)

      Delete
  3. Uh oh, Loki, I do like that good old trickster. But poor Gwen in this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen definitely takes a beating in this book, I just wanted to hug her:)

      Delete
  4. WHAT? A mythological series that I haven't even heard about O_O As Danny I must read them! I think it's rather annoying that authors won't give the characters up and yes, I usually do tend to love their characters as much as they do, but sometimes enough is enough. The prime example would be The Mortal Instruments series. Somewhere along the way some of these books lose their focus and aren't as character-driven as they were in the beginning. And it happens with mist of the series I read, but if you say that this one gets better with every book and it's already book 4 then I really, really must read them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, sometimes a series drags on to long, but this series honestly gets better as it goes. I've found both this series of hers and her adult UF series to be that way. Her characters get stronger and more complex the more we learn about them:)

      Delete
  5. I had a really hard time with the first book (I don't even remember why at the moment) so I haven't continued on with the series. Love that you're loving it and it just keeps getting better for you, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens sometimes:) I adore everything she writes though, so she's one of those authors that can do no wrong for me!

      Delete
  6. Ohh, I'm so glad you liked this one as much as you did, Jenny! I tend to shy away from books based on Greek mythology, with the exception of Armentrout's Covenant series, which is why I've never started this, but such high praise from you makes me wish I'd made a different choice.
    It's good to know that romance takes the back seat, but never quite fades and I hope waiting for the fifth book won't be too bad. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly not HUGELY mythology based - yes all the students are descendents of Greek mythological figures, and the villain is Loki, but it's not a mythological retelling or anything like that. It's really a character-driven story, so it's easy to forget the supernatural elements entirely:)

      Delete
  7. Ms Estep does a wonderful job of keeping our interest and moving a story along without losing its integrity. thanks for showing me this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome:) You know I love getting you addicted to whatever I'm reading!

      Delete
  8. I have not read any of these books! I keep meaning to, but then I forget or get obsessed with another book. Since you seem to enjoy them so much - and that's important that you're still excited about the characters and story after 4 books - I think I'll give them a go.

    Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me with so many series Hannah! I'm all "I'm going to buy that book immediately" and then a new book comes out and I'm like "oooo SHINY!!!" and I buy that instead ;-)

      I hope you give them a try though, and read at least the first 2 since the series gets better as it goes:)

      Delete
  9. wow.. everyone seems to have loved this one! I havent started this series yet, but I should totally get into it!! There seems to be so many stuff happening in this book! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series Farah! Highly recommend:)

      Delete
  10. Gah, another series that I need to get my hands on. I swear my tbr pile is higher that Mt. Everest! One of these days I'll get to it. Now I'm thinking I'll pick them up when the series is over so I won't have to wait to get my hands on the next volume to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, okay, OKAY. I WILL READ THIS SERIES. I think I still have the first book on my Kindle somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review Jen, I really need to read this series, and I am not totally sure, but i think I have book one on my Nook. I love that the books keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm glad to hear that this book is the best out of the series! I love the series already so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy this too! :)
    Your review got me really excited for this, Jenny! :) I can't wait!
    I'm a little worried though after reading your paragraph on the romance. I just want them to be together already! I think 4 books is more than enough time for them to get to know each other well! ;)
    I'm glad to hear that Gwen has grown even more in this installment!
    Lovely review as always, Jenni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I just finished this last week, still have to do my review, but it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. JENNY!!!! Ahhhhh! That dumb hot spartan!!! UGH! When I got to the ending it got me so excited yet it broke my heart! GOSH!!!! I need the next book NOW!!! ASAP!! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. UGH, I think this series is going on my Serious Series challenge! I have Touch of Frost sitting on my Kindle and I actually forgot it was there. That's the problem with ebooks, you buy them and forget them (grrrrr). But I digress...

    I've been wanting to start reading Estep and I wasn't sure where I was going to start (UF or YA). I think you made up my mind - THANKS!!! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what can i say . i fracking wish my copy arrives soon . eeee. i love how gwen has grown as a character . great review

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel like I keep hearing about this series from you and meaning to read it and somehow, I never do! I really must, though, since the plot seems so intriguing and the characters well-developed. I'm so glad this was the best so far as that speaks volumes about a well-written series. Amazing review, Jenny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. The best book in the series! I haven't even cracked open the first instalment yet. :P I'm really glad you enjoyed this as much as you did. I will need to start this series soon, especially after all the brilliant things I've been hearing from you and others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is pretty impressive that it's the 4th in the series and the best...no fizzle or drawn out storyline just to milk the reader here, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this one as well. I also wanted to be mad at Logan, but just couldn't. Still, wanted a slightly different outcome for out couple. I agree with you... I'm also a total fangirl of Jennifer Esteps! We should totally form a band or something...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this is a far cry from what I have been reading about this book all day. So many people have been saying it is a filler book and probably the least interesting of the series. I'm glad to hear that this might just be the best book in the series. I love Gwen and Logan is one of my favorite male YA characters.

    I'm glad someone really enjoyed this book and said it is still worth reading.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still need to read the last book! Hopefully I can do that soon since I do have it. I'm glad that this is the best yet, I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read any of the books from this series, but your 4.5 stars excites me. :) I love that fact that 4 books are already out so I could read them one right after the other! Love that. I must take a closer look at this series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm needing to play catch up so I'm reading the one before this to catch up before I review this one. I'm glad to know it's so good. I think each book is better than the last. The only thing that bothers me is the repetition of certain things. I think you really have to read these books in order so as a reader you should know these things already.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've vaguely heard of this series but wasn't too interested because urban fantasy/paranormal books and I normally don't mesh well together (that is, unless it's a book written by Karen Moning or Richelle Mead). But your review is so beautifully written and you describe it in such a way that I'd love to dive into the first book asap. :)

    ReplyDelete