Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: Blamed

BLAMED
Blood Money #1
Edie Harris
Adult Romantic Suspense
ebook
Carina Press
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Born into a long line of spies, sanctioned killers and covert weapons developers, Beth Faraday carried out her first hit-for-hire when she was still a teenager.

That part of her life—the American spy royalty part—ended one year ago, with a job gone wrong in Afghanistan. The collateral damage she caused with a single shot was unfathomable and, for Beth, unforgivable. She’s worked hard to build a new life for herself, far away from the family business.

But someone, somewhere, hasn’t forgotten what Beth did in Kabul. And they want revenge.

As the Faraday clan bands together to defend Beth and protect their legacy, Beth is forced to flee her new home with the unlikeliest of allies—MI6 agent Raleigh Vick, the only man she’s ever loved. And the one she thought she’d killed in the desert.


MY THOUGHTS
Blamed is a thoroughly impressive first installment, chilling us with a prologue wherein our heroine is in the brutal hands of a sadistic man before catapulting us back in time a week earlier, allowing the weight of our knowledge as to her future to settle heavily in our bones. We spend much of the opening third of this book dancing through time, our initial week-long rewind followed by flashbacks to years prior so we can follow the unusual courtship of Beth and Vick in their younger (and bloodier) incarnations before returning to the two of them in the present. This type of setup can sometimes be extraordinarily frustrating, our desire to stay in the moment with the couple far outweighing our need to relive the moment they met, but in the case of Blamed, the flashbacks are done exceedingly well. Very specific and pivotal moments are chosen, and by living through them with both Beth and Vick, we're drawn further yet into their story, as attached to them as we could ever hope to be to fictional characters.

Beth is amazing from beginning to end, our initial fear-filled moments with her in the prologue transforming into sheer awe as we marvel at her will to survive despite the odds stacked against her. When we rewind a week to a Beth who's doing everything in her power to live a normal life–a life where her eye isn't glued to the scope of her sniper rifle–we find a woman just as impressive, haunted by the events of a job gone wrong a year prior but still able to be a bit of a smartass when Vick reenters her life and causes havoc. She's loved him for years despite knowing very little about him that's real, but through her love she's able to see that he's still keeping secrets, and she's nothing but honest with Vick about her reservations regarding their relationship.

Vick, while not as likeable as Beth in the beginning given what we're able to deduce from Beth's capture and torture in the opening scene, manages to still win us over frightfully easily as he crashes back into Beth's life with his spy arrogance and British charm. Even when our suspicions about him are confirmed, it's hard to work up an appropriate level of hatred, his feelings for Beth clear as day and his genuine regret over some of the choices he's made palpable. He knows full well his moments with Beth as a happy–if hunted–couple are numbered, and we can't help but share in his hope that perhaps Beth will be able to forgive the nearly unforgivable.

Overall, Blamed is a romantic thrill ride from beginning to end, forcing our hearts up into our throats on page one and leaving them there until the last page is turned. Supporting Beth throughout this story are her three brothers, all various forms of badass in their own right, delighting us with their clear affection for their sister even as they drive her crazy with their over the top protective instincts. Tobias's story is next, and I simply can't wait to return to the Faraday family and their gritty world of neutralizing terror threats.

Rating: 4.5/5



Find Edie:



This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

43 comments:

  1. It's the first time I hear about this one but I think I could have a good moment with it as well. Beth sounds like a great character to follow. And even if Vick isn't the same, I'm curious to discover them both. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adored Beth Melliane! I wish I was as badass as she is:)

      Delete
  2. I actually love books set up like this, they hold my short attention span easier, This really sounds like an all around good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely fantastic Christy, I can't recommend it enough!

      Delete
  3. First I was a bit nah, but then I read on and went all awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a very intriguing and suspenseful book! One that I really ought to be adding to the wish list for sure!
    Great review as always Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely add it to your list Pili! You'll get sucked in immediately, I just know it:)

      Delete
  5. Oh I've read quite a few books recently which have dealt with jumping around through time, and I have to admit that I do really like these sort of books especially when they're done really well. I will certainly be adding this one to the tbr, it sounds like I'll be getting one heck of a thrilling ride! Brilliant review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally jumping through time is an issue for me, I get all out of sorts and just want to return to the present, but it's done really well here and added to the story rather than detracting from it.

      Delete
  6. This sounds amazing, Jenny. I like to read romantic suspense books from time to time and this sounds like the perfect choice. I love the sound of Beth especially. She seems like a character who is easy to root for.
    I definitely need to meet her and her 3 brothers.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read a romantic suspense novel in a while and I was craving one. This couldn't have worked better for me!

      Delete
  7. It has been forever since I have read a romantic suspense and I think this would be an excellent start to jump right back into the genre. I am going to give this one a try Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this girl on the cover looks might kick-a if I do say so myself, Jenny! I'm surprised that Vick isn't as likeable as Beth (at first that is), but I'm still glad you loved him and I ship this couple a ton already! Plus Beth seems such a good character. I'm so happy you enjoyed this thrilling story Jenny! And I hope you'll love the companion even more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vick grew on me for sure. It's just that you suspect him from the beginning given the prologue, so I was initially very wary of him and his motivations:)

      Delete
  9. Younger AND bloodier flashbacks, you do know how to get a girl's attention, Jenny! Beth & Vick's story sounds like a real rush which is exactly what I like to hear about any novel that's shelves under Romantic Suspense. You just made me a very happy camper!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an all around winner for me Carmel. I need book two immediately!

      Delete
  10. Something about the phrase "British charm" utterly sells me on the hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to British charm. Or Irish charm. Or Scottish.... :)

      Delete
  11. Woah, this sounds SO GOOD. How have I never heard of it before? I love spy thrillers so this is definitely going on my TBR and getting bumped waaaay ahead. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn those men and their spy arrogance and British charm! They always win me over. Pretty excited that I requested (and got) this one and I need a good read so it's jumping the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? *shakes fist at Vick* Can't wait to see what you think Mary!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad to hear the author pulled off the flashbacks. I'm so curious to find out what Vick's involvement is in Beth's capture! Guess I'll just have to read it. :-) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good Lauren! The flashbacks all worked really well for me, they were well chosen ones that made sense and further developed their relationship:)

      Delete
  14. I haven't read an adult romantic suspense book in a while but this books sounds awesome. I'll put in my tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could put it on your Radar Rummanah!

      Delete
  15. Flashbacks can definitely be tricky! Glad to hear that the author pulled it off and the rest of the book so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can. The past couple books I've read that have alternated between past and present came up short, but this just blew me away:)

      Delete
  16. Oh I'm into romantic suspense lately and I can't wait to pick up the books on my tbr! You have added to my wishlist. I love the sound of Beth and I need to know more about Vick! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you'll enjoy this one Melissa!

      Delete
  17. I actually enjoy books that utillze this format. I like seeing the events that led up to that predicament and it is somehow more chilling to know how it's going to play out from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the format in this particular story, sometimes it just gets to be too much for me, but that was not at all the case here. Loved it:)

      Delete
  18. I hadn't even heard of this before but now I'm super curious! You made it sound really amazing and 4.5 stars, now that's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it Candace! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough:)

      Delete
  19. Flashbacks, if done well, can really add that extra layer-giving the reader a glimpse of something that can change our whole perspective. This sounds really like it did just that! And I love the dark hero, so I'm very intrigued.
    Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the recommendation! I love romantic suspense and flashbacks so this sounds like my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this sounds like something I'd love! I've never heard of this series, but I'm definitely off to check it out now. Little worried about Vick and whether or not he does something to Beth that I won't be able to get past. But it looks like you did. Wonderful review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds very interesting. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a book I really want to read, and have added to my TBR! It sounds like the perfect thing for me, and I love a book that can handle its flashbacks well :3

    ReplyDelete