Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: The Wrath and the Dawn

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Renee Ahdieh
Young Adult/Retelling
Releases May 2015 from Putnam Juvenile (Penguin)

From Goodreads:

A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.

I have to admit to not being overly familiar with the A Thousand and One Nights story, but I love the sound of everything about The Wrath and the Dawn. Give me secrets, murder mysteries and a love interest who's not altogether what he seems any day and I'm a very happy girl. I tend to gravitate toward anti-heroes because I want so desperately for them to prove themselves worthy of the love I'm ready to heap on them, and I'm already wishing and hoping for Khalid to be more than the monster he appears to be at first glance. DON'T LET ME DOWN, KHALID!!!

Find Renee:

28 comments:

  1. Oooo, I hadn't heard of this one but it sounds really good! I know a little of the story of a thousand and one nights... Having it as a retold YA sounds epic :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one. I don't know much about 1001 Nights either. What a stunning cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked this story, but I guess it does not go like the real story where she has babies too cos he is not letting her be that untouched for that long

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this sounds cool! I love A Thousand and One Nights, and I am totally right there with you on the antihero love. :-) Hopefully Khalid won't let either of us down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cover is cool, and the book sound just as cool, I will add to my TBR list :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! Totally new to me! Sounds like an intriguing read!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I have this one already preordered!!
    I am a huge lover of the Thousand & One Nights stories and I'm dying DYING to get this one! I hope we'll both love it Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me and sounds awesome. I am not too familiar with A Thousand and One Nights, but I definitely want to check this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo I love the premises for this Jenny, it sounds fantastic! Thanks for posting about this today since it was new to me. I want to read it now as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really enjoying the emerging trend of Middle Eastern legends in YA. I haven't heard of this one before but The Arabian Nights have always been some of my favorite stories so an overlap novel sounds fantastic! I can't wait to pick this one up. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, this is new to me and I'm loving the sound of it! From what I can remember of the original story, this sounds pretty true in form. I'm crossing my fingers and adding it as well. You know I can't resist a retelling.
    Thanks for putting this delight on my radar, Jenny!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this one wasn't on my radar at all and I have to admit that i'm pretty intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually know quite a lot about A Thousand and One Nights, so I've been really excited about this book ever since I found out about it! Great pick!

    Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this one the other day and thought it looked really good. I'm hoping Khalid turns out to be good too!
    Lovely pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds very exotic, which is definitely a plus. I love when i can learn a thing or two in the process. Like you, I adore anti-heroes and love discovering them as they discover new sides of themselves. Hopefully this one won't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one had me at One Thousand and One Nights, Jenny! Adding it to my tbr. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy crap, yes, I need this book. But dang, how are there any women left if he does this every night?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not overly familiar with the original either. This sounds excellent and what a cool cover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenny I am completely the same, I love rooting for anti-heroes, here's hoping Khalid won't let us down. Also how awesome is this cover? I definitely shall be adding this book to the tbr, I so want to find out how Shazi succeeds! Thank you for putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw this one recently on Goodreads and added it to my wishlist immediately. I love re-tellings, and this one is based on A Thousand and One Nights!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also have a weakness for antiheroes, but I think this is one of those hit or miss books, so I'm going to wait for a few reviews before I jump on board.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope Khalid doesn't disappoint, Jenny! I love the sound of this very different story. Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the cover and it really suits the premise! Adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OOOOHHHH. This is the first I've heard of this book and I WANT. I agree to liking anti-heroes, characters that seem one way but become far more complex when you get to know them. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete