Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Review: Say Yes to the Marquess

SAY YES TO THE MARQUESS
Castles Ever After #2
Tessa Dare
Historical Romance
384 pages
Avon
Available December 30th
Source: eARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
After eight years of waiting for Piers Brandon, the wandering Marquess of Granville, to set a wedding date, Clio Whitmore has had enough. She's inherited a castle, scraped together some pride, and made plans to break her engagement.

Not if Rafe Brandon can help it. A ruthless prizefighter and notorious rake, Rafe is determined that Clio will marry his brother—even if he has to plan the dratted wedding himself.

So how does a hardened fighter cure a reluctant bride's cold feet?

● He starts with flowers. A wedding can't have too many flowers. Or harps. Or cakes.

● He lets her know she'll make a beautiful, desirable bride—and tries not to picture her as his.

● He doesn't kiss her.

● If he kisses her, he definitely doesn't kiss her again.

● When all else fails, he puts her in a stunning gown. And vows not to be nearby when the gown comes off.

● And no matter what—he doesn't fall in disastrous, hopeless love with the one woman he can never call his own.

MY THOUGHTS
Say Yes to the Marquess is yet another winner from Ms. Dare, her sense of humor one of the main reasons we rush to crack the spine, knowing we’ll find ourselves laughing at the antics and banter between perfectly imperfect individuals. While Ms. Dare’s romances are undoubtedly full of substance–richly nuanced characters giving the explorer in us plenty to sift through–they’re also light and fluffy (in the best possible way), leaving us free of worry that we’re going to reach a point where one or two of the characters make the mistake that’s going to bring their world crashing down around them. Instead, we read cocooned in the warmth of a safety blanket known as communication, reveling in our lead couple's ability to talk things out with one another rather than keep everything bottled up.

Though light and fluffy is an accurate description of the overall tone of this romance, it’s not without tension, things between Rafe and Clio ripe with that very thing given her engagement to his older brother. Majority of this tale is build-up, the beautiful dance between them moving a few steps forward before the swell of the music turns, shifting them with it and forcing them several steps back. Both are battling severe self-esteem issues thanks to the fact that they’ve only ever seen themselves through the lens of their families’ distorted perception, but we as readers have the pleasure of seeing each of them through the eyes of the other, and we can’t help but smile at what we find there. So very slowly over the course of the book the weight of expectation on each of them drops away, removed as a result of fierce determination and a desire to see the other person find the happiness they so rightly deserve.

Overall, Say Yes to the Marquess is everything there is to love about the romance genre, darker moments tempered by humor to ensure we have a giddy smile on our faces the entire way through. Ms. Dare is a go-to author for me, someone who never fails to delight and entertain, and who writes stories that end up on the shelf of favorites waiting to be read again and again.

Rating: 4/5



Find Tessa:

This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.
 

28 comments:

  1. I love that this has some darker moment but still is lighten by a humorous side as well.

    Wonderful review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa Dare has such a great sense of humor Ali, I've loved everything I've read by her:)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds good! I've read another good review about it today and i confess that I'm curious. I love a good historical romance story and I think this oe is definitely is one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recommend it enough Melliane! Her romances always make me smile:)

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like the kind of fluff I'd love to read at some point because of mostly the humour! Adding this one to the wish list for sure, even if I'm NOT a fan of the cover at all!
    Thanks for a great review and recommendation Janny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it, typo! Sorry Jenny!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes you just need a little fluff in your life Pili:) But her books are not overly saccharine, they're definitely full of substance and humor as well.

      Delete
  4. Jenny! I'd maybe sort of forgotten about this book, but thank goodness you reminded me! Though I also have it pre-ordered, so... SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think Amanda!!! So good.

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'm so glad you loved this too, Jenny! It was such an adorable read and I loved Clio and Rafe. I love books like this that can make you feel all happy and fluffy.
    Beautiful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! I will always read whatever Tessa writes. I love her books:)

      Delete
  6. I used to devour this type of read. One of these days I'm going to make time to check Dare out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Melissa! She writes such great characters:)

      Delete
  7. I am all about the humor. I like romance books that aren't all drama and angst. Have a wonderful Christmas Jenny. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Especially this time of year. I'm thinking it might be time for a re-read already...

      Delete
  8. Great review. I too, love it when there is humor to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had some much fun with this story and adored Rafe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He and Clio were just so cute together:)

      Delete
  10. I loooved the first book to this new series and am so excited that this sequel is yet another winner from Dare. It's definitely a romance I plan to indulge in the moment it releases. Fantastic review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Hope you love it as much as the first Keertana!

      Delete
  11. wow it been a while since I read a book of this geners,, happy you enjoyed it and liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I need a break from the paranormal YA, and this is always a go-to genre for me:)

      Delete
  12. I've heard of Tessa Dare but I haven't tried her books yet. I think I know where to start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to grab a copy of this book and read it ASAP! I love how Tessa combines swoon with hilarious moments. So happy to hear this is another winner.

    ReplyDelete