Friday, October 16, 2015

Friday Flourish: Bloomsbury Spark Edition

Happy Friday Everyone!

It's been a little while since I've done a Friday Flourish post, but since I've had a couple covers revealed recently I wanted to go ahead and share them on the blog! For the past year and a half I've had the rather surreal experience of working with Bloomsbury Spark, Bloomsbury Publishing's digital-first imprint, and though it's a little sappy, it truly has been a dream come true.

One of my favorite aspects of designing covers (aside from the artwork itself) is working with people who constantly challenge me to be a better designer than I was the day before. Meredith Rich, editor extraordinaire at Spark, is one such person, pushing me with her art direction and feedback to take my work to a new level. Designing for print books and designing for e-books are two entirely different things, the use of color and type critical in e-books in a way I hadn't considered previously given they're seen primarily at thumbnail size, and her insight has proven invaluable time and again.

Two of our recent collaborations were revealed in the past few weeks, a redesign of Hollywood Witch Hunter by Valerie Tejeda and The Trick to Landing by Jenny Kaczorowski, and I hope you guys love them as much as we do. Below those two titles are the other 5 covers I've done for Spark to date, and I've got two more in the works that I can't wait to share (though it's likely going to be a while yet)!


HOLLYWOOD WITCH HUNTER


From the moment she first learned the truth about witches…she knew she was born to fight them.

Now, at sixteen, Iris is the lone girl on the Witch Hunters Special Ops Team.

But when Iris meets a boy named Arlo, he might just be the key to preventing an evil uprising in Southern California.

Together they're ready to protect the human race at all costs. Because that's what witch hunters do.

Welcome to Hollywood.



THE TRICK TO LANDING
(releases 1/12/16)


When you wipe out in life, who helps you get back up again?

After a gnarly fall in competition, a DUI, and moving in with her mom dashed her hopes for a spot in this year's X Games, 16-year-old skateboarder Summer O'Neill is left with one last shot at redemption. But her fresh start is even harder than getting back on the half pipe: hours of community service, a party girl reputation she can't shake, and life with a mother she hardly knows leave Summer scrambling to keep her world stable.

The very last thing Summer is looking for is a boyfriend, at least until she meets Sebastian Vega. Steady, unassuming, and self-assured, he's everything she's not. Before long, she's sneaking out for midnight sandcastle building excursions and trading in her art class for private photography lessons with Bastian.

But Summer's past won't stay behind her and Bastian has problems of his own – including a bleeding disorder that seeps into every aspect his life. While he pushes against the limitations of his hemophilia, she is bound by the rules of her probation. When the ramifications of her past crimes collide with his frustration, it may be more than their budding relationship can bear.

With the next X Games qualifier rapidly approaching, Summer has to own up to her mistakes if she wants to soar again. If she can't, she'll lose more than her second chance. She'll lose her future-in skating, and with Bastian.



29 comments:

  1. I love them all, but especially Witch Hunter. Can you rub some of your talent onto me, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! It's so cool to see you working with Bloomsbury Spark, Jenny. And your covers are, as always, fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks so much Amanda! I love working with them, and hope many more collaborations are in my future!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful job, Jenny! Seriously stunning...both of them. I especially like the second one with the sun setting....gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo beautiful covers and Witch Hunter looks cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie was nice enough to gift me a copy of Witch Hunter, I can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  5. Both of these are amazing Jenny! So much talent! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali! I have so much fun working on Spark's covers:)

      Delete
  6. I like the dagger that is hidden and not

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cover designs definitely give Bloomsbury a " Spark" !! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* I love how proud you are of yourself for being clever ;-)

      Delete
  8. Love all the covers. The others are so cool in tone and these are so hot. Love the contrast all together. Beautiful work. Would so pick up these titles and you really have me curious about Hollywood Witch Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! I just noticed that when I had them all lined up. Apparently I was in a blue phase for the first 5 and now I'm in yellow phase ;-)

      Delete
  9. I love seeing your work, Jenny! It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, you make such beautiful covers, Jenny! I totally didn't know you were creativing book covers. I would love to be your apprentice someday ;)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you are so talented as all of these covers are absolutely amazing! I especially love the one you are working on for Hollywood Witch Hunter. I love hearing the thought processes behind any design work so I hope you will share some of those in the future.

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  12. These covers are super duper epic! You are SO talented girl! Gosh I wish I had the ability (ehem, and the patience to design covers but...well, I don't.) Teehee keep up the awesome work chica!♡

    ReplyDelete
  13. I looove the way the font and background image in the first one is so different yet works perfectly! And the second cover is just stunning. I really like that you lined up all your covers, Jenny, because they're all so beautiful and showcase how versatile of a designer you are! You have your own style, sure, but none of your covers look similar and I adore that. Keep it up, darling--you are so incredibly talented!<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful covers, Jenny! I love this kind of your posts where you share your design work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love! You are such a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love both covers - I want to grab up the Witch Hunter for sure!! I'm so happy you're enjoying working with Bloomsbury Spark, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are SO talented! I just love every cover you do. You are right that ebook only books are important in the sense they are seen so small so often that you have to design them with that in mind. I've told that to my authors in the past whose books haven't sold so well. Something to think about for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really are an amazing designer!! Doesn't matter if it's more in the illustrated or in the realistic side, you always crack amazing covers!!

    Cannot wait to see what else you have in the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)
    pengobatan untuk sembuhkan infeksi saluran kemih

    ReplyDelete