Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Robotic Horses & TITANS: An Explanation in Gif Form


A couple weeks ago I picked Victoria Scott's Titans as one of my Waiting on Wednesday features, the lure of a cover and story featuring robotic horses far too great for me to resist. This led to a chat with Victoria about my love of horses (I grew up with them, see picture below!) and ended with her sending me a post that highlighted the reasons she chose to write about robotic horses. Reasons presented in .gif form. Win.

7 Reasons I Wrote About Robotic Horses, Explained in .Gifs

Horses make great BFFs, especially robotic ones. And who doesn’t need an extra BFF or three?


via GIPHY

Horses have great hair. And Astrid’s best friend, Magnolia, totally appreciates this.


via GIPHY

Because robots and horses go together like PB & J (plus a small creep factor).


via GIPHY

Horses have layers, especially Astrid’s Titan. Wink, wink!  


via GIPHY

Because a dude on horseback is always hotter. Even the infuriating Hart Riley II. 


via GIPHY

Because a chick on horseback is always hotter. Especially Astrid Sullivan.


via GIPHY

And finally, because steel, robotic horses are already becoming a thing. So you might as well prepare yourself by reading Titans.


via GIPHY

Um. As much as I want a robotic horse of my very own, I would prefer mine to have a head. I feel like the head is a vital part in making said horse a friend rather than something out of my nightmares. *shudders*

Also, just because I have a competitive streak a mile wide, I feel it necessary to try and one up Kristen Stewart in the horseback hotness department (though she is riding bareback, and I have to admit that's badass), so below please find a picture of me and my beloved Alibi from my equestrian competition days:


Who desperately needs this book in their lives? *raises both hands*

• • • • • • • • • • • 

TITANS


Ever since the Titans first appeared in her Detroit neighborhood, Astrid Sullivan’s world has revolved around the mechanical horses. She and her best friend have spent countless hours watching them and their jockeys practice on the track. It’s not just the thrill of the race. It’s the engineering of the horses and the way they’re programmed to seem so lifelike. The Titans are everything that fascinates Astrid, and nothing she’ll ever touch.

She hates them a little, too. Her dad lost everything betting on the Titans. And the races are a reminder of the gap between the rich jockeys who can afford the expensive machines to ride, and the working class friends and neighbors of Astrid’s who wager on them.

But when Astrid’s offered a chance to enter an early model Titan in this year’s derby, well, she decides to risk it all. Because for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, it’s more than a chance at fame or money. Betting on herself is the only way she can see to hang on to everyone in the world she cares about.

Find Titans:

 
Find Victoria:

33 comments:

  1. Not an easy topic but it's interesting, I realy like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robot horses...hmmm, yes good for riding on but for just touching, nah

    ReplyDelete
  3. The horse head guy was creepy!! But you definitely beat out Kristen ,you looked amazing jumping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last gif scared the crap out of me. Horses definitely need heads! This was so much fun, Jenny! And I had no idea you rode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? I love horses, but I gotta say, I would run screaming from headless mechanical ones:)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the post! I had a blast putting this together!! Long live horses and robots and hot boys riding bareback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this although I have to agree, some of these pics definitely gave me the creep factor! :P I'm such a wuss. ;)

    I need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a wuss too Ali, headless robotic horses would have me curling up in a fetal ball and crying ;-)

      Delete
  7. WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT CREEPY GIF OF HORSES AND ROBOTS! O.O I'll ignore that and just stare at the horse with the beautiful mane. Yes, werk it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. He does have lovely hair, doesn't he?

      Delete
  8. *Raises both hands* Pick me, pick me! LOL. I'm so excited as well and those gifs are perfect. I can't wait to see what Victoria does with these cool horses. Thanks for the great post, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The other benefit having a robotic horse is they can't get hurt or sick. Ha ha... love the horse head mask gif....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's one of the best parts. It's always brutal when a beloved animal friend is in pain:(

      Delete
  10. lol honestly, a litttle creepy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. But now I'm even more curious... :)

      Delete
  11. Wow you used to compete in equestrian? That is amazing Jenny, because I had been away for so long, I hadn't even heard of this book before, but I like this different take on horses! I will definitely have to keep my eye on this book now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Jasprit! I've been riding since I was seven, and competed all through school. I had to sell Alibi when I went to college, but I competed there as well:)

      Delete
  12. I agree with the hotter stuff, but the robotic horses? Hm... not so much but then again, I'm looking forward to changing my mind! :D I'm also with Jenny, make sure it has a head. LOL

    Jenny you look great! I would have been the one falling and the horse laughing at me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heads are very important Melissa. Very. Important ;-)

      Delete
    2. And thank you! Also, Alibi laughed at me more often than not the first year I had him. I spent quite a bit of time on the ground O.o

      Delete
  13. Robotic horses? Hmmm. That's definitely different. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok..that horse head inside a horse head..creepy. Robot horses are cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I cant wait to see what she does with this book Kim:)

      Delete
  15. I love everything about horses. Their majesty. Their smell. Their many different voices. The feel of their muscles bunching as I ride them. When I let the horse run I feel like I'll take off and fly at any moment.
    I spotted this book a couple of weeks ago and immediately went and pre-ordered the print copy. I have a feeling this will be optioned for a movie and I wanted that print book! Can't wait and added the countdown widget to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robotic headless horses GIF totally gave me the creeps! But yeah, Titans sound amazing and I know Victoria will make me want to get me a mechanic horse of my own in the same way I want to have a pandora!!

    And you do look like a total pro in those pics Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Titans sounds fascinating! I rode horses back in the day as well, and I still miss it an awful lot.

    Also, "a dude on horseback is always hotter." So much truth.

    ReplyDelete