Thursday, October 22, 2015

Review: The Immortal Heights

THE IMMORTAL HEIGHTS
The Elemental Trilogy #3
Sherry Thomas
Young Adult/Fantasy
432 pages
Balzer + Bray
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
In a pursuit that has spanned continents, Iolanthe, Titus, and their friends have always managed to remain one step ahead of the forces of Atlantis. But now the Bane, the monstrous tyrant who bestrides the entire mage world, has issued his ultimatum: Titus must hand over Iolanthe, or watch as his entire realm is destroyed in a deadly rampage. Running out of time and options, Iolanthe and Titus must act decisively to deliver a final blow to the Bane, ending his reign of terror for good.

However, getting to the Bane means accomplishing the impossible—finding a way to infiltrate his crypt in the deepest recesses of the most ferociously guarded fortress in Atlantis. And everything is only made more difficult when new prophecies come to light, foretelling a doomed effort....

Iolanthe and Titus will put their love and their lives on the line. But will it be enough?

With The Immortal Heights, Sherry Thomas brings the acclaimed Elemental Trilogy to its breathtaking conclusion.


MY THOUGHTS
The Immortal Heights tosses us right back into the middle of the fight between the villainous Bane and those who oppose him, giving us barely enough time to catch our breath from one minute to the next as Titus and Iolanthe lead the fight to bring him down. Ms. Thomas does her readers an enormous favor in the beginning chapters, working in reminders whenever a lesser-known character or past event is mentioned on page, ensuring we have our feet firmly in place as she moves everything forward. Even so, however, there are still times when the sprawling nature of this world and the fact that its scope includes three worlds (ours, that of the Domain and Atlantis, and the book world of The Crucible) can be a touch overwhelming–especially when combined with the various prophecies, magical abilities and connections between characters–but the strong bond between Titus and Iolanthe and the fight against the Bane keep us riveted.

One of the highlights in this final installment, as has been the case with both previous books, is the relationship between Titus and Iolanthe. Even as the moment of Titus's prophesied death inches ever closer, the two of them keep a fighting spirit, determined to go down swinging if they can't find a way to thwart what Titus's mother saw happen years ago. Titus does attempt the tried and true–and frustrating–“I'm leaving you behind for your own good” maneuver, but Iolanthe thankfully doesn't stand for it, not only fighting to catch up with him and his group after their significant head start but also giving him a piece of her mind once she finds him. They're partners through and through despite a few well-meaning and desperate attempts to save one another along the way, their romance free of relationship angst and full to bursting with love and support.

Accompanying Titus and Iolanthe on their journey to find and kill the Bane are Kashkari and Amara, two young people who bring the emotional intensity to a new level in this final installment. Kashkari's unrequited love for Amara (who's engaged to his brother) is brutal in the second half of this book, the two of them causing us no shortage of stress and worry as life and death prophecies plague their every step. The only small complaint with this series as a whole is with regard to the Bane himself, the reason he's feared shown largely through the words and actions of others rather than directly from his person, and when he does finally face Titus and Iolanthe in all his monstrous glory we can't help but wish we'd seen more of him throughout.

Overall, the Elemental trilogy proves itself to be enormously entertaining; love, loss, friendship and sacrifice all combining with impressive world building and magical gifts to create a story that won't soon be forgotten.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Sherry:

WebsiteFacebookTwitterGoodreadsAmazon

This book was sent to me by the author  free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

19 comments:

  1. I bought the first book not too long ago, so I'm on my way! I'm glad I'll be able to read the trilogy close together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read her YA books! One day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. If Sherry Thomas's YA books are as heartwrenching (but good) as her historicals, these will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful review, Jenny! I agree with you on a lot of points. The world building certainly could be a touch overwhelming at times. And I loved that they were partners too and that there was hardly any relationship drama. I would have loved for the Bane to play a much bigger role too. But like you, I was very much satisfied with the ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that this ended on such a good note for you, it is amazing when that happens! Beautiful review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one series I really want to try!! I'm looking forward (prepared) to experience this amzing world/s and writing. Lovely review, Jenny - I can't wait to meet Titus and Iolanthe, and even Bane :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the first book and enjoyed it but I have yet to continue with the series. I want to for sure and now reading your thoughts on the final installment have me itching to pick up book #2! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jenny and as always awesome review^^ I'm happy that this delivered for you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review has made my want to run out and get this trilogy! Well done Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm... it is a tiny bit disappointing that the villain wasn't truly terrifying. That makes a difference, still I think overall that this series sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read this one but I'm so excited! I really enjoyed book 1 & 2, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much as you did!
    I'm glad to hear that Iolanthe and Titus continue to have an amazing relationship and that there's no angst there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this installment, Jenny! Final books are always tricky but I'm excited to see that this didn't disappoint. Also: SO WORRIED ABOUT UNREQUITED LOVE! Kashkari has been slowly winning my heart over since the last installment so I'm concerned about the tension you mention, but...I have hope! Lovely, lovely review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad this satisfied even if the villains weren't exactly scary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I decided not to pick up this series before all installments were released. So glad to hear this was a wonderful and fulfilling conclusion. So many series started with the BAM, only to crash and disappoint later. Wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I tried picking up the first book again last week, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not giving up though, so here's hoping your review will be the swift kick in the butt i needed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad this ended on a satisfying note. I've been meaning to pick this series up but I've been afraid of a weak ending. Glad to know that isn't the case for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the series (and this book)! Titus and Iolanthe were great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To this day, I think I was very fortunate that I was able to get a good article this Obat Infeksi Jamur Pada Selangkangan Cara Menurunkan Gula Darah Tinggi It is one of the information I was looking for a long time Obat Nyeri Perut Eye Care Softgel Maybe also I will inform this to my friend, because my friend was also looking for the same information about this Obat Penyakit Jantung Koroner Cara Menurunkan Gula Darah Tinggi Thank you very much yes because you have shared a very unusual good information and helpful Obat Nyeri Ulu Hati Obat Kencing Manis I hope you continue to renew other recent information that is still associated with this information Cara Membeli QnC Jelly Gamat Obat Luka Diabetes Maybe I'll come back to visit this article to find more recent articles that I may not know

    ReplyDelete