Thursday, October 8, 2015

Interview: Mikaela Everett + The Unquiet


Today I have the pleasure of welcoming author Mikaela Everett to the blog to answer a few questions about her debut novel, The Unquiet. I've always been fascinated by the idea of parallel universes or duplicate worlds, so I got a little excited to bombard Mikaela with questions and poke around in her mind, and she was a good enough sport to let me:) I hope you guys enjoy the interview!

In The Unquiet, every person has a duplicate in another version of Earth. If you ever came face to face with a duplicate version of yourself, what’s the first thing you’d want to know about the life she’s lived?

Great question! I’d probably ask something deep and philosophical like “Are you happy?” I would also ask about the different turning points in my life - to see if she chose differently and how things worked out for her. And then smaller things like, did she keep playing the piano after fifth grade, and is she an expert pianist because of it? Did she also huddle in the corners of libraries reading books that were probably too advanced for her, and is she a book lover because of it? Is she a writer because of it? I’d want to know if we could recognize each other beyond our similar outward appearances - whether inside we’d be the same or different people.

The idea that someone could come in and steal your life without those closest to you even noticing is absolutely terrifying. What would Lirael say are the top three qualities that make the perfect sleeper soldier?

The ability to kill, the ability to hide your emotions, and the desire to stay alive at all costs.

If a friend came to you tomorrow talking about the existence of a duplicate Earth, how long would it take you to believe them?

Not long at all! I think all authors secretly believe that the worlds they create just might be real, somewhere well beyond their imaginations. And it’s not that hard with The Unquiet, given how little we know about space and what is out there.

What’s one small quirk or habit you have that would hopefully tip your family and friends off that your duplicate has taken over when she doesn’t exhibit it?

If my duplicate likes bananas, or is a cat person, those are dead giveaways!

If instead of a duplicate Earth there was realm after realm wherein the worlds of any and every piece of fiction existed, which realm would you most want to visit?

I don’t know that I’d last five minutes in either, but the worlds of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings seem like pretty good places to be. Like almost everybody else, I grew up in those worlds. And I wouldn’t just want to be a spectator in either. Wherever there’s a battle, count me in—wand or sword in hand! (Hence the “wouldn’t last five minutes” part).

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Mikaela!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • 

THE UNQUIET


For most of her life, Lirael has been training to kill—and replace—a duplicate version of herself on a parallel Earth. She is the perfect sleeper-soldier. But she’s beginning to suspect she is not a good person.

The two Earths are identical in almost every way. Two copies of every city, every building, even every person. But the people from the second Earth know something their duplicates do not—two versions of the same thing cannot exist. They—and their whole planet—are slowly disappearing. Lira has been trained mercilessly since childhood to learn everything she can about her duplicate, to be a ruthless sleeper-assassin who kills that other Lirael and steps seamlessly into her life.

An intricate, literary stand-alone from an astonishing new voice, The Unquiet takes us deep inside the psyche of a strong teenage heroine struggling with what she has been raised to be and who she really is. Fans of eerily futuristic and beautifully crafted stories such as Never Let Me Go, Orphan Black, and Fringe will find themselves haunted by this unsettling debut.



• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

MIKAELA EVERETT 


Hi. I’m Mikaela. I write books for adults and young adults. My debut, a speculative novel called THE UNQUIET, will be released from Greenwillow/HarperCollins on September 22, 2015. 

28 comments:

  1. This one is a new one to me but it could be intriguing thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad I could bring it to your attention Melliane!

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh This is my kind of book! That would be so crazy. My loved ones would know it's not me if I started eating black beans in my Mexican food. It's just not right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't that be interesting though? I wish I can meet my future self so I can ask her what's in store for us.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would both desperately want to know Joy and be scared to know at the same time:)

      Delete
  4. The whole concept of this is definitely terrifying! Love it though. This is one I will have to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? What if my family never figured it out? I'd be so mad at them!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh... these types of reads are always so fascinating and they give you plenty to ponder. I have often wondered about meeting myself in another dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Heidi! One of those really interesting "what if" questions:)

      Delete
  6. Wow, this sounds really interesting! A book that would really make you think, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Doesn't it?! I like to think my family would know it wasn't me, but I'm not entirely sure they would... :(

      Delete
  8. This whole concept of duplicates and many/alternate realms is so fascinating to me! Of course, I would love to land myself in an alternate (just to visit of course) realm where my house holds a massive library of all my favorite books, Lol. But, the whole idea of someone coming in and replacing me, terrifying!! I'm very curious now about The Unquiet - great post, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T WANT TO BE REPLACED KIM!!! So scary.

      Delete
  9. Oh this sounds perffffffffffect for Fall Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this concept but don't I recall seeing another book a while ago with the same premise...Dualed maybe? N/M just looked it up...that was killing your "alternate" in the same world...

    I'll have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds both intriguing and scared! I wouldn't want to be replaced, I like being where I am thank you very much!
    Great interview Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)

    pengobatan untuk sembuhkan saraf mata rusak

    ReplyDelete
  13. The interview of Mikaela Everett is a pleasure to read, very fascinating to read all the things because it has many ingredients to read it, allow reader to engage by their contents. Because of their length and excitement what coming next on their interview reader not getting rid of it. I have heard about the things going on the space and going to do so, excitement level at the top. Also providing master thesis paper help – The Research Guardian because they are also deliver free sample with every papers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, Gan! This article is truly captivating and worth noting. It's really cool, and of course, we gained new insights after reading it. Thanks a lot for sharing this valuable piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the incredible opportunity to sit down with the talented author Mikaela Everett to discuss her captivating novel, "The Unquiet." Mikaela's unique storytelling style and imaginative world-building have captivated readers worldwide, making "The Unquiet" a must-read for fantasy enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The author's storytelling prowess shines through every page, weaving a complex narrative filled with suspense and unexpected twists.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The combination of Everett's emotive lyrics and The Unquiet's atmospheric soundscapes creates a unique musical experience that transports listeners to a world of introspection and introspective exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is a hidden gem that more people should discover.

    ReplyDelete