Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday Flourish: Much of Madness

Happy Friday Everyone!

Today I'm crazy excited to share with you another of the covers from my teaser grid a little while back, and it's one that many of you tagged in the comments as being the one you were most curious about.

One of my very favorite parts of cover design is the wide variety of genres I get work within as well as the style of artwork I get to create and manipulate in order to suit the story. As a wedding stationer for 10 years, I did a lot of repetitive artwork like monograms and floral patterns, and it was the rare client who really wanted something outside the box (not an insult to my clients, just the nature of wedding stationery in general). Now, however, every project presents a new and unique challenge for me, and as soon as I saw author S.E. Summa's Pinterest inspiration board for her Southern Gothic Horror novel Much of Madness, I knew I was in for a treat.

For this cover S.E. really wanted the gothic feel to shine through, with rich colors and textures accentuating a skull focal point (a design element that will be carried through to each book in the series - YAY!). The choice of type, while always a vital aspect of any cover, was even more important with Much of Madness to reinforce the overall aesthetic and really create a brand identity for the series as a whole.

S.E. was able to beautifully articulate what she was looking for with this design from the beginning, something that is far harder than it sounds, and together I think we created something striking. I hope you guys think so as well!

MUCH OF MADNESS
Releases 2/29


Seraphina Pearce doesn't know what's more frustrating: her magic's affinity for death, her best friend's transformation into an albino Sin Eater, or that simply touching a guy she loves means someone's headed to the morgue.
After a sin-eating job goes awry, she casts a risky spell and butts heads with a handsome stranger in order to win an infamous grimoire.
Marceau L'Argent is the last person she should confide in because the occult cat burglar has a mysterious past, and he's made it no secret he also wants the grimoire. He recognizes her dark magic and offers his unique help as a rare curse breaker. If all that weren't enough, Marceau causes butterflies in her stomach—a feeling she'd long thought dead.
Seraphina was only trying to break her curse—not piss off Death himself.
MUCH OF MADNESS is a Southern Gothic Horror story about loyalty, sacrifice, and maintaining hope no matter the odds.

 
Find S.E. and Much of Madness:

You can check out more of my cover design work at Seedlings Design Studio 

22 comments:

  1. Jenny, wow! I can't stop staring at this cover. I love every little detail, but especially the beautiful background, the designs on the skull and title typography. You're right! They all play together beautifully and certainly gives the gothic feel the author's book is going for.
    You're really in your element designing these covers, Jenny! Super proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware that you design book cover arts. Wow! This one is great! So fitting for the book. You are very talented Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover is pretty epic Jenny, I've always known you're a super talented individual, but you've really outdone yourself with this one! I love the colours you've gone with and the typography, I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow and wow!! YES! This was one of the ones i was most intrigued about and with good reason! It's gorgeous! I absolutely love everything about it, from the combination of colours and elements to the typography! Brilliant work as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow is right!! Awesome work, Jenny! I love that you are so versatile. I can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun cover! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh. You hope I thought this was a striking cover?
    YES, I DO!!!
    Actually, compelling and powerful come to mind too.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE this cover Jenny!! Wow, I'm speechless...♥ I love the skull accent, the colours and the background texture! You are truly an artist my friend^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this one is so striking. I love it. I am a big fan of Southern Gothic books, so I definitley will keep my eye out of this one. Wonderful work, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I kept thinking the book had some connection to Shakespeare. Maybe it's the skull and the ruffles surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. my. goodness! I love EVERYTHING about this cover. The striking colors and gothic feel and that font is perfection. Yes indeed, I am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this one. I really seem to be drawn into anything that resembles a calaveras. The colors just pop, and I would pick up this book in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Squee! I love it Jenny! Oh my gosh, it is gorgeous in every way! I think this is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, Jenny, this is one of my favorites you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love the details, the typeface, the design...everything about this is gorgeous, Jenny! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Scary and whimsical and girly all at once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny I loooove the background on this and color scheme is so breath-taking! Gorgeous, beautiful job dear!

    ReplyDelete