Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Heir to the Sky

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!





Amanda Sun
Young Adult/Fantasy
Available April 26th from Harlequin Teen

From Goodreads:


As heir to a kingdom of floating continents, Kali has spent her life bound by limits—by her duties as a member of the royal family; by a forced betrothal to the son of a nobleman; and by the edge of the only world she’s ever known—a small island hovering above a monster-ridden earth, long since uninhabited by humans. She is the Eternal Flame of Hope for what’s left of mankind, the wick and the wax burning in service for her people, and for their revered Phoenix, whose magic keeps them aloft.

When Kali falls off the edge of her kingdom and miraculously survives, she is shocked to discover there are still humans on the earth. Determined to get home, Kali entrusts a rugged monster-hunter named Griffin to guide her across a world overrun by chimera, storm dragons, basilisks, and other terrifying beasts. But the more time she spends on earth, the more dark truths she begins to uncover about her home in the sky, and the more resolute she is to start burning for herself.


I have to admit I passed this book over the first couple times I saw it because the cover didn't feel very YA fantasy to me, but when I read the blurb and saw talk of floating continents, chimeras and storm dragons I did a spastic flail and started obsessing immediately. I love books that feature lesser known paranormal creatures, so I can't wait to read about all the fun (and also terrifying) beasties that have overrun this world. Also, I love a good dark truth or two, so I'm looking forward to what's revealed about Kali's sky kingdom. *attempts to wait patiently for April*

24 comments:

  1. I agree, I think I would have passed this over as well without even reading the synopsis but now you have me so intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds good! Fiest time I see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've heard of it, but it sounds great, Jenny! I love that summary and you're right. The cover certainly doesn't feel like a YA fantasy.
    Thanks for sharing, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you Jenny, I totally wouldn't find myself drawn to this cover based on the cover alone, but after reading the blurb, it has me super excited! And April isn't that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh nice! Been seeing this one around a lot lately! Hope you love it too!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, same issues here... DRAGONS? CHIMERAS? SIGN ME UP!! I'm glad that you are here to bring interesting books to my attention that I could have passed up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes even from the cover I wouldn't think its YA fantasy either. Lesson learned, don't judge a book by its cover. Haha. Great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this one, but I love the sound of it. Thanks for putting it on my radar, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm waiting on this one too. It sounds really interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one looks good, Jenny. I've seen this author around but haven't read any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of this one yet. It sounds a little weird but yet I'm really super curious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It certainly is an eye catching cover. I wouldnt' have pegged it as a fantasy either at first glance. It sounds promising, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What!? This book sounds great! I didn't like the cover, so this is the first time I read the synopsis. Now I'm dying to read it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep. I need this one too. The creatures have me in their grip as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Admittedly...I have never read the synopsis until not. It did grab my attention. I always think it's The Accident Season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard of this one AT ALL so thanks for putting it on my radar, Jenny! I'm going to be looking out for early reviews of this since it ticks off a lot of boxes for me on novels I adore. Fantastic pick this week, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cover and you have me curious Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds interesting! It looks like the cover for The Accident Season book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh love chimeras! I hope it's as good as it sounds. Enjoy, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree this cover doesn’t speak fantasy, it has more contemporary vibe. I haven’t heard about this book before, but the blurb is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for putting it on my radar, Jenny. I’ll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If there is more mention of royalty in books than you have me hooked! Along with the beautiful cover, I just know I want this one. Thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, this sounds really good and I've been keeping my eye on it as well as I've yet to read anything by Amanda Sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny, the cover is what drew me in....and then I read the blurb and was like WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?! So I will definitely be reading this one. I've heard great things about Amanda!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete