Monday, February 22, 2016

Review: Vision In Silver

VISION IN SILVER
The Others #3
Anne Bishop
Urban Fantasy
400 pages
Available Now
ROC/Penguin
Source: Bought

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
The Others freed the  cassandra sangue  to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…


MY THOUGHTS
The third book in this utterly refreshing urban fantasy series is every bit as outstanding as the previous two, the tensions between the Others and humans escalating at an alarming rate, which in turn makes the fragile relationships formed within Lakeside Courtyard increasingly tenuous. 

There's something perversely fascinating about a series that can make you hate the species to which you belong, but Ms. Bishop does an amazing job of showing us the dark side of humanity as seen through the eyes of the Others, and it's nearly impossible not to side with them against the narrow-minded, ego-driven Homo Sapiens. The Humans First and Last movement, an organization whose sole goal is to rip control of all land and industry from the Others and install humans at the top of the socioeconomic pyramid (as they inexplicably feel is their right), makes for a deliciously nebulous villain, earning our hate thanks to their prejudice against the Others and those who support them even though the person leading their charge remains ever-elusive.

Meg and Simon's relationship, an oh-so delicate thing that continues to slowly build with each installment, is a highlight as always in Vision In Silver. Meg is perhaps at her most confused and unsure since she arrived at Lakeside Courtyard months ago in this book, struggling to process the world around her as all her time in captivity finally catches up to her, and she makes just as many missteps as she does steps forward, endearing her to us all the more as she single-handedly ensures the temporary survival of humans everywhere. Without Meg's sweet nature and drive to help all those in need whether through simple assistance and comfort or through her visions, the Others of the Courtyard would undoubtedly have already unleashed their impressive wrath on those who threaten them, and we can't help but fall in love with her for nothing more than being who she is.

Simon is just as adorably confused as Meg as they stumble forward, on edge thanks to the Humans First and Last movement and unclear on how to give or ask for the comfort they both need from one another. The anticipation of the moment when the two of them finally figure out they want to be more than friends is a driving force in these books, and all the romantics at heart are likely to hold their breath throughout wondering if this is the book where it might happen. Overall, another brilliant addition to this series!

Rating: 4.5/5


Find Anne:

WebsiteGoodreadsAmazon

21 comments:

  1. oh yes I really love this series and each volumes is so great! so many wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this too! I adore this series. Simon and Meg are certainly entertaining, and so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should read book 2, but it has been a while

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know so many people have loved this series and find myself thinking I really need to get a copy of the first book. Sounds like something I would really enjoy. Glad to see to still going strong for you. Great Review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, Jenny! This series just makes me hate my own species with such intensity! I hate most of the humans in this series and want to protect all the Others as my own.
    I'm loving the slow dynamic between Simon & Meg too and all the cute little jealous moments they share.
    I can't wait for more. :)
    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing all the grabby hands for the next book and I'm really looking forward to re-reading the whole series because I know I'm gonna love it so much all over again!

    And yes, reading this series really makes me hate my own species...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The anticipation of the moment when the two of them finally figure out they want to be more than friends is a driving force in these books, and all the romantics at heart are likely to hold their breath throughout wondering if this is the book where it might happen." Lol, does it? I really need to give this series a try at some point. It sounds fabulously written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a series that I can't wait to start. I've been on hold for the first book at my library forever, but I may go ahead and purchase it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished this one last night. And WOW, that ending! Simon and Meg are so adorable, but Simon especially as he figures things out but is still blind to how he *really* feels about her. And I think you said everything so well about this book, fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obviously you are know as big of a fan of this series as I am. I love it. I agree about the Simon and Meg relationship, it is delicate and so fun. I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Adorably confused" is exactly how I'd describe this relationship too and I'm so excited for Meg and Simon to finally untangle their emotions and figure out that they belong together. Wonderful review, Jenny, and I can't wait for your thoughts on the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I really really hope you continue to love this series but I'm pretty sure you will already. ;) It really is so fabulous and so original feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you just flew through this series just in time to read the last book! Hoping to make time for this series at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to admit that I skimmed over the review in fear of spoilers. But WOW this sounds like the conclusion to the series was almost completely perfect. Looks like this trilogy can hold it's wonderfulness all the way through. A must read for me now :D

    My recent review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/02/soulless-review-tour-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea, I know! I so need to read this series. I cannot wait! I am determined to get to these this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah !! I adore this series too and meg and simon the so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the slow burn of their relationship is killing me! I hope the next book will finally have something. Lol. So glad you loved this one, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woot! Every time you review one of these books..I squee! I am listening to Marked in Flesh now..eep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you enjoyed it, Jenny! I really want to get to these.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, Jenny! I totally agree, Simon and Meg's relationship is the highlight of the series but the rest of the story is pretty fabulous, too. I have so many Meg and Simon moments highlighted, like when she finally lets Simon touch her "puppy fuzz"! That sounds really dirty now that I've typed it out, lol! But you know what I mean. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you're loving this series and I must try it myself as I've read such wonderful things about it. And, slow burn romance is a yes, of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete