Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Cathy Reviews: A Trio of Mysteries

My mother in law Cathy is back today with some mini reviews from her very favorite genre: mystery!

ALL THE LITTLE LIARS
Aurora Teagarden #9
Charlaine Harris
Cozy Mystery
240 pages
Minotaur Books
Available Now
Source: Bought

CATHY'S THOUGHTS
My reading weakness is mysteries – all mysteries. I use them as a palette cleanser between my book club books which tend to be heavier reads. I love the set formula of the mystery, and most often I choose ones that have a strong woman as the main crime solver. I received several new mysteries at BEA and they were all great reads. I thought I would share them with you.
 

All the Little Liars is the newest Aurora Teagarden mystery by Charlaine Harris. This is a cozy mystery series. Aurora is a librarian that has a knack for getting caught up in murders. This time her brother is missing along with several other teens from town. I love this format because Aurora rushes reckless into danger in the effort to solve the crime. This book lives up to its title, you never know who is telling the truth!



STALKING JACK THE RIPPER
Kerri Maniscalco
YA Mystery/Historical
336 pages
Jimmy Patterson
Available September 20th
Source: BEA

CATHY'S THOUGHTS
Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco was one my wish list for BEA. The unsolved murders by Jack the Ripper have been the source for many a mystery. Ms. Maniscalco has a fresh new take on the mystery in her first YA novel. Audrey Rose resists her Victorian role in life by secretly working for her uncle doing forensic autopsies. She is smart and headstrong in an era where girls should look pretty and think only of marriage. Through her involvement with her uncle, Audrey Rose becomes obsessed with finding the Ripper. This leads her into many dangerous situations and conclusions that could wreck her world. And like any good YA novel there is a hint at a budding romance.  This is a page turner and needs to be added to your reading list.

 

DON'T YOU CRY
Mary Kubica
Mystery/Thriller
320 pages
MIRA
Available Now
Source: BEA

CATHY'S THOUGHTS
Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica is a must-read. There are certain authors I always look to see if they have a new release, and ever since I was first introduced to Ms. Kubica at BEA several years ago, she is at the top of the list. I was very happy to see this book this year. Ms. Kubica's books are  psychological thrillers. She knows how to extend the suspense and we just hold our breath throughout the entire book. In this book, we learn all about the main character from two different viewpoints, neither of which is the main character's voice. The mystery is revealed and unfolds all around Esther. Ms. Kubica truly understands how the mind works and how we can get carried away in our own imagination. This makes is hard to tell what is real and what is imagined. This story keeps you guessing until the very end. I couldn't put it down.

23 comments:

  1. I love these mini reviews and all three sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so curious about the Ripper one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too and I was not disappointed. I hope you won't either!

      Delete
  3. The Ripper one sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting take on the Ripper murders. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I'm especially looking forward to Stalking Jack the Ripper. It's such a fascinating-sounding story and it looks like it delivers.

    Don't You Cry sounds amazing as well! I love that it keeps you guessing until the end.

    Lovely reviews, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I hope the reviews help and maybe add to your reading list :)

      Delete
  5. I cannot wait till I can unleash myself on some of my most awaited BEA ARCs and so glad to hear that Stalking Jack The Ripper is as awesome as I hoped!

    And I had no idea there was another Aurora Teagarden book! I'll have to wait for it to come out in paperback so it can match the rest of my collection though. But thanks for putting it on my radar, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a stack to read but reviewing them gave me a great reason to read. Also do you know that Hallmark mystery channel has the Aurora Teagarden books as a TV movie series. Yea

      Delete
    2. I need to check that somehow!

      Delete
  6. I've been so excited/curious to read Stalking Jack the Ripper - sounds like this is a fresh take for the YA genre!

    Thanks for sharing, Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ripper book was well done and with a strong young female as the main character. Really enjoyed it and hope you do so too

      Delete
  7. These all sound great! I caught an Aurora Teagarden mystery movie on the Hallmark Channel and have been interested in that series ever since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you saw the TV movie. I love them but I have always been a Murder She Wrote fan so this is a modern day take on those

      Delete
  8. I'm looking forward to the Kubica book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so good at suspense. She had me holding my breath! Hope you like it.

      Delete
  9. Oddly enough, I've never read an Aurora Teagarden book, and I love Charlaine to bits. I've pretty much read everything else by her. Now that it's being turned into a TV series (I think), I might just find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize this series was written by Charlaine Harris. :/ it's just the kind of story to curl up and relax with. Love cozy mysteries

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY I picked up STALKING JACK THE RIPPER at BEA and have it on the schedule for review in September! So glad you enjoyed it Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like mysteries, too. But I'd have to be in the mood for them. Curious about that Jack the Ripper one. It's been getting so much attention lately. Great min-reviews, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of Kubica before but I'm definitely sold! And I'm so relieved that Stalking Jack the Ripper has your seal of approval since it sounds so, so good! I can't wait to read it. Great mini-reviews, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely adding that Jack the Ripper book!

    ReplyDelete