Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Long May She Reign

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Rhiannon Thomas
Young Adult/Fantasy
Releases February 2017 from HarperTeen

From Goodreads:
Freya was never meant to be queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace, and would much rather research in her laboratory than participate in the intrigues of court. However, when an extravagant banquet turns deadly, and the king and his courtiers are poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself on the throne.

Freya may have survived the massacre, but she is far from safe. The nobles don’t respect her, her councillors want to control her, and with the mystery of who killed the king still unsolved, Freya knows that a single mistake could cost her the kingdom – and her life.

Freya is determined to survive, and that means uncovering the murderers herself. Until then, she can’t trust anyone. Not her advisors. Not the king’s dashing and enigmatic illegitimate son. Not even her own father, who always wanted the best for her, but also wanted more power for himself.
 
First, pretty cover is pretty. I have no idea what the futuristic tentacle-like wires of smoke and magic are at the bottom, but they intrigue me, as does the castle in a bottle. Story-wise, I love that Freya had absolutely no illusions that she would sit on the throne given there were 22 people in line before her, so I feel like she'll be a true underdog in the viper's pit that is court politics. There's nothing I like more than rooting for an underdog (except of course romance – hello, there king's dashing and enigmatic illegitmate son!), so I'm starting my countdown for this one already. Please come faster February!

19 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cover and synopsis Jenny, I can see why you picked this one, I want it now too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this one too, Jenny! That cover is amazing and the book sounds great too. I'm all for a good swoony romance with the enigmatic boy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read this author's debut but this book sounds really good--and I looove that cover! Plus, I can't ignore a kick-ass heroine who it out to solve problems and rule a realm on her own, so thanks for putting this on my radar, Jenny! Your WoW posts always add to my TBR! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The moment I saw the cover I knew I had to check and grab this one!! It sounds like the kinda book I'd loveee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this my WoW pick for next week, Jenny. Great minds think alike. I love the sound of this one! I'm always on the hunt for my next favorite fantasy. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hey Jenny! This one caught my eye immediately when Harper did their reviews! Come on February!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hey Jenny! This one caught my eye immediately when Harper did their reviews! Come on February!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First: YES PRETTY COVER IS PRETTY ♥ Wow! That mass poisoning putting our girl on the throne sounds like a wicked twist. Will she survive? I must know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. A fantasy. Well, I do hope you'll enjoy this, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 23rd in line for the throne? Damn lol I'm curious though. Royalty poisoned and Freya is propelled to the throne. Now that's interesting, and definitely sounds like someone close is involved. Would love to read this one too. As for the cover, maybe the bottle has something to do with the poison? Lovely cover though, very alluring.

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this does sound good! I hadn't heard of it yet but I'm curious now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm intrigued as well. What are those things? We needs it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh sounds good! And I love the name Freya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for underdogs! The premise of this one sounds like so much fun, and that cover draws me in. I'm thinking the bottle may represent Freya's love of science and her laboratory...?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the cover too. Haven't seen this author or book before. The story does sound like a great mystery. Putting on the TBR.

    ReplyDelete