Thursday, October 6, 2016

Review: A Promise of Fire

A PROMISE OF FIRE
The Kingmaker Chronicles #1
Amanda Bouchet
Fantasy Romance
448 pages
Sourcebooks
Available Now
Source: Bought

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.


MY THOUGHTS
A Promise of Fire is a fun start to this series, a romance lighter in tone beautifuly paired with a dire prophecy and impending battle with a villain of seemingly epic proportions.

Cat is a little tricky in the beginning, letting Griffin and his team know frequently and sometimes violently how she feels about being kidnapped, and while her situation is clearly not one that should cause her to jump for joy (and it's easy to appreciate her unwillingness to passively accept her circumstances), her constant insults and well-timed barbs start to get a bit tedious after a while. Just shy of the halfway mark though she starts to change her tune, and the banter between her and Griffin thankfully loses its edge, becoming significantly more genuine while still making us laugh. After her shift in attitude, her sense of humor becomes a highlight rather than a source of frustration, and the bond between her and Griffin–as well as that between her and his men–has us glancing at the clock late at night and saying "just one more hour".


We get a few glimpses of Cat's past, enough to be able to hazard a guess as to who she really is despite not getting confirmation in this first installment, and it's clear that behind the snark and the badassery are shadows and blood, lying in wait make her a victim once again. She shows a great deal of growth over the course of this first book, from hiding at the circus with impenetrable emotional armor in place in the beginning to standing tall and unleashing hell in order to protect those she's come to love by the end. She will undoubtedly continue to grow as her story unfolds, and it should be nothing short of a delight to bear witness to the woman she will become.

The final death-defying moments are a touch anti-climatic given the epic dragon battle midway through and the impressively brutal fight leading up to the last few chapters, leaving us just a tiny bit underwhelmed when our final "battle" is with someone of so little importance to the overall story. That very minor complaint aside though, A Promise of Fire is an outstanding read overall, and January cannot come soon enough to reunite me with Cat, Griffin, and his immensely lovable family.

Rating: 4/5

Find Amanda:

22 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you liked it, Jenny. I'm looking forward to seeing how much Cat grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt exactly the same way about this one, Jenny--I really enjoyed it but the ending wasn't quite up to par with the rest of the book, for me. But I'm so excited to dive into the sequel and find out what happens next! I love this world and characters, so I am eager for more! :) Wonderful review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I soooo need to read this one! Getting to the point where I might need to take it off of my wishlist! It sounds like my kind of fantasy read! Glad you liked it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one too. The mythology, the characters, the romance. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This read really was addicting, even though some parts were very predictable, I couldn't help it, I still loved it. So happy you liked it too Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read 10 pages and the mythology was so lazy so I gave up...will try again...maybe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the audiobook of this one; may need to move it up the list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good site! come on and join with us!

    poker online

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, this sounds like a very interesting new fantasy series... I think I'll need to give it a try for sure!
    Great review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LIVE for these kinds of relationships! I really need to borrow this from my library. Thanks for the nudge Jenny. :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like everyone is loving this book. I don't mind that the romance takes a back seat, but I love the journey of the potential couple. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved Cat - she really kicks butt. She is snarky and funny. The cast of characters great as well. Not a cliffhanger per se; but not a full HEA either. More of a happy for now. Lots of unanswered questions . I am buying#2 right after I finish typing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go read it, you'll be glad you did! Just make sure don't start too late at night like I did, or you'll end up skipping your sleep altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The you have is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing...
    dewapoker
    dewapoker online
    dewa poker

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog examination should widen your readership.I am really grateful for your blog post.
    dewa poker
    dewapoker

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for آنتی فراماسون sharing superb informations. Your website is اسمارت مگ so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you¡¦ve on this web site.  مجله ریما It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like everyone is loving this book. I don't mind that the romance takes a back seat, but I love the journey of the potential couple. Sounds like a fun read!
    SPSS Torrent

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice Blog... Really inspiring to do Jungle NFT with some of your design.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome Blog....
    Learn how to wash pillows and keep them fresh longer and sleep in a cloud with best mattress in a box.

    ReplyDelete