Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: The Bone Season

THE BONE SEASON
The Bone Season #1
Samantha Shannon
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal/Dystopian
466 pages
Bloomsbury USA
Available Now
Source: BEA

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing.

But when Paige is captured and arrested, she encounters a power more sinister even than Scion. The voyant prison is a separate city—Oxford, erased from the map two centuries ago and now controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. These creatures, the Rephaim, value the voyants highly—as soldiers in their army.

Paige is assigned to a Rephaite keeper, Warden, who will be in charge of her care and training. He is her master. Her natural enemy. But if she wants to regain her freedom, Paige will have to learn something of his mind and his own mysterious motives.

The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine—a young woman learning to harness her powers in a world where everything has been taken from her. It also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.


MY THOUGHTS
The Bone Season is complex and dark, drawing us in gradually with an extensive world that acts like a rich caramel for our mental and emotional palates; the taste of it a delight for our minds and hearts but we’re also made to work for the reward of its flavor, our progress at times slow yet we can only appreciate it all the more for the challenge it presents. This is not a story to be devoured quickly and set aside, it’s one that inspires discussion and encourages us to immediately pass it on to the next person we see just so we can have someone to talk to about our thoughts, opinions and theories for the remainder of the series. The characters themselves are something truly special, so deeply layered that should we drop a coin down the well of their creation we’d hear no evidence of it ever hitting bottom, and we simply can’t wait to gear up in our rappelling equipment and begin the slow descent of discovery.

Paige is infinitely intriguing, a young woman with a fighting spirit that simply cannot be snuffed out no matter how hard those around her might try, but she’s also extremely intelligent and self-aware, understanding when to push certain buttons and when to let things lie. She verbally lashes out at Warden on occasion to rattle the bars of her new prison, testing the strength of her captor and always searching for ways to escape, but she does so in a way that has us rooting for her rather than against her, appreciating her fire while simultaneously admiring her ability to use it sparingly and only to her best advantage. She plays a beautiful game of give and take with Warden, giving and inch before retreating behind her defenses once again to observe what he'll do with the ground he’s gained, and we can do nothing but sit back and watch, rapt, as they try and build the most fragile of relationships.

Warden is perhaps the most fascinating element in this first installment, an enigmatic Reph who occupies negative space rather than positive, forcing us to look in between the obvious to find any hint of who he is. The beauty of him is that he’ll be different things to different readers; for some he'll be more protector than tormentor, more slaver than teacher, or more romantic interest than monster, but for all he will defy the simplicity of a single label. He’s a ten-thousand piece puzzle with no image on the box to guide us, instead we only learn about him through active participation, analyzing and questioning his words and actions as we snap a few key pieces into place. When we find ourselves on the last page of this first book, it’s clear that we have maybe a handful of those ten-thousand pieces in their correct locations, leaving us with the delicious sense of anticipation that comes from a challenge yet to be completed.

Overall The Bone Season should not be missed, Ms. Shannon’s ability to craft a sprawling world a bit overwhelming in places, but she gives us characters so bright they blind us to any confusion. Paige and company are essentially walking thesauruses, full to bursting with different ways to describe them, but the words each of us would choose to do so make the experience of reading their story a beautifully intimate one. Were we unaware there are to be seven books in this series, the ending might leave us a touch sad, but with the knowledge of so much more to come firmly in place we can only look forward with a sense of utter glee, eager for all that we are sure to learn about Paige, Warden and the repercussions of the final chapters.

Rating: 5/5
 

Find Samantha


This book was given to me by the publisher at BEA free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

38 comments:

  1. Yes, you're absolutely right, Jenny! This is one of those books one wants to share with the world, preferably by yelling about them from some rooftops. And I so agree that everyone will see Warden differently.
    This is one of those books that has so many strenghts, I couldn't decide which of them to point out first. And yet you summed it up so perfectly. I hope you'll convince many others to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many thoughts on it Maja! I've already made my mom buy it and am going to pass it on to my mother in law as well. I need them to experience it:) I just adored both Warden and Paige, I thought they were both brilliant characters.

      Delete
  2. argh!!! you've read this already while me still looking for a copy locally! Lucky you! And your review makes me wish I have a copy to read right now. Glad you enjoy this one. I really couldn't wait to read it to discover the book awesomeness on my own. Great review Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a copy of it soon! It just blew me away and I can't wait to see where the series is going to go:)

      Delete
  3. Oh my *grabby hands* I have heard so much about this book and let's face it it's fantasy and fantasy is like air to me! I cannot live without them. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one and I'll be reading it soon. I must. Great review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it Tanja! The world is complex and can be a bit difficult to wade through at times, but stick with it because the characters are outstanding:)

      Delete
  4. Jenny you've totally nailed how I felt about this book. I absolutely adored Warden, flaws and all, I actually appreciated just how many different sides that he had, and how we never knew what we'd be getting each time we saw him. This is definitely one great start to a series, one that I can't wait to devour right up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warden was amazing wasn't he? I just never knew if he was friend or foe and I kept reading into every little thing he did trying to figure it out. Loved him:)

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many good things about Bone Season and I feel like it's about time I buy one for myself. Love how you describe Warden, Jenny! He does sound like a very enigmatic character and I love that Paige sounds smart and feisty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige was awesome. I loved that she never gave up trying to escape, but she also didn't keep at it at the expense of safety. I get really irritated when characters do stupid things and don't stop and try to find a better way, but Paige was always thinking ahead:)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jenny! I was so impressed by the complexity to Paige's character and loved the mysterious aura surrounding Warden - I can't wait to see what the sequel will bring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more Warden Keertana! I loved both him and Paige equally, they were just endlessly fascinating:)

      Delete
  7. I'm completely fascinated by Warden. His name fits his prison but I want to know MORE about him. And what's up with the dying flower? Why did he pick Paige and cut her such slack? I WANT TO KNOW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MORE WARDEN MARY!!!! I'd completely forgotten about the flower! I definitely need to know what the deal is with that as well:) So. Good.

      Delete
  8. I've heard nothing but good things about this book, and it makes me wonder why I've put it off so very long. Paige sounds like a complex, emotional character in whom we're lucky to place our interests and, heck, with a five-star review from you, I'm adding this to my queue stat! Lovely review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put if off for a bit too just because there was so much hype around it when it came out, but I think it deserved every bit of that hype. I was riveted:)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous review like always Jenny! you make me want to pick this one up and start reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali! I so hope you give this one a try, one of the best of the year for me:)

      Delete
  10. Yay that it is good :D The library is getting it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! I hope you get your hands on it soon:)

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you liked this one, Jenny! I've heard lots of hype about it and was curious if it met that expectation. I'm definitely going to read this one, but I'm going to wait for a good long block of time to slowly digest it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a book that stays with you Rummanah. There are just so many little things woven through it that you could spend hours analyzing, and I loved that about it. Warden and Paige were an extraordinarily memorable pair.

      Delete
  12. Ooooh. I have HEARD THINGS about this book, and the boyfriend's mom read (and liked, I assume) it. I shall have to pick it up. And 5 stars? Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I just died a little while reading your review. It was a piece of art, my love! I loved every single thing you said and I am beyond excited after reading your review and Lauren's way back. I think that the complexity of this--characters, world--everything excited and intrigues me the most. Plus, one can never turn down a book that makes you yearn for caramel with its gorgeous writing and world-building. Girl, this is a M.U.S.T. read for me. Oh, speaking of must, the word means black in Estonian. It's pronounced a little different but spelled the same way. Ha. I have no idea why I just wrote that.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am just so super excited about this now! First of all, when you give a book full 5 Stars, it has to be super good.
    Second of all, I just know if YOU like it. I will most definitely like it too.
    Third - I already bought it just because you told me so!
    See? That's me being ver obedient :)

    This book absolutely sounds perfect and I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I can see that sometimes dark and complicated can leave you a bit confused... well me anyway. :) Still, love the sound of these characters. Plus, you summed it up perfectly as to why I enjoy strong characters: "characters so bright they blind us to any confusion." I usually end up enjoying books like that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started reading this one a few months back...and then never finished. *hangs head in shame*

    Sounds like I need to give it another go! Fabulous review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not gonna lie Jenny..i scrolled down to see your rating because if you scored it less then a 4 I was gonna curl up and cry. I loved these characters and this world..one of my favorite reads this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one book I seriously without a doubt need to read. Its so aot for my current event and its on the top of my tbr. The cover is beautiful and I've heard such great reviews. I have skimmed read it because of reading it soon. But all the same wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh I'm glad you enjoyed this, Jenny! I really liked it too, but did have a few minor quibbles here and there. Overall, though, I was really impressed, especially by the complexity and richness of the ideas. You have such a way with words! Fantastic review as always. It's always good to see a 5-star review from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone has been raving about this! But I was a little afraid, it's kind of large and deep and long... but the fact you gave it 5!!!!! stars really says a lot! Maybe I can grab it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jenny, that is such a beautiful review! I love the way you describe Warden as a puzzle with 10,000 pieces! So, so true. And he definitely can't be pinned down to one role. I'm still reading the first book, but this world is way too big for less than 7 books. Really beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome review! I have heard some great things about he book. I think Chayse is going to read it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard so many good things about this book! I really think I should pick it up some time now. Thanks for posting your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so thrilled to hear that you loved this one too Jenny! What a gorgeous review. I especially love this - "The characters themselves are something truly special, so deeply layered that should we drop a coin down the well of their creation we’d hear no evidence of it ever hitting bottom, and we simply can’t wait to gear up in our rappelling equipment and begin the slow descent of discovery." That perfectly describes my love for these characters. I haven't had the energy to try to do justice to this book, but I should simply point readers over here for proof of why they must read this! Beautifully written review, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. YES! Most of all I really really wanted to discuss this one when I finished it. I was part of a very long blogger discussion chain after I read this, which was the best way to digest this story. Your entire paragraph on Warden is gorgeous, especially, this "He’s a ten-thousand piece puzzle with no image on the box to guide us." I for one fell hard for him, and loved how slowly their relationship and trust develops. I also liked the ending a lot, because I think pushing them together too soon would hurt their chances in the rest of the series. Let's hope the other 6 books are just as amazing! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've hears so many good things about this book - It's nice to see you liked it too. I think it's very important for novels like this to have fictional world planed to the tiniest details - that makes them believable.

    ReplyDelete