Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Half-Blood

HALF-BLOOD
(Covenant Novel #1)

Jennifer Armentrout
Paranormal Young Adult
281 pages
Spencer Hill Press
Available October 18th
Received from publisher for review

THE STORY
Alex has just seen her mother killed by daimons–pure-bloods (powerful descendants of demigods who can control the four elements) who have been seduced by the aether in the blood of their race and turned into murdering monsters–and now she's on the run from them all by herself. Luckily for her, pure-blood Aiden St. Delphi finds her in an abandoned warehouse, saves her from two daimons, and drags her back to the Covenant where she lived her whole life until her mother took her and ran away three years ago.

Given that she's a half-blood, Alex only has two choices for her future: become a Sentinel and fight daimons to protect the pures, or become a slave to those same people and work in their homes. Alex is certain of the choice she wants to make, however, her absence has put her behind her classmates and she must prove she's ready to rejoin them in the fall if she hopes to continue her training. Volunteering to help her get caught up, Aiden makes Alex's life both easier and infinitely harder.

Half-bloods and pure-bloods are absolutely forbidden from entering into relationships with each other, and Alex has been nursing a crush on Aiden since she was fourteen, making her training sessions a type of beautiful torture. Aiden doesn't treat her like most pures do halfs, showing her respect and kindness, but when the reason for Alex's mother's behavior those three years ago comes to light and new discoveries are made about the daimons, Alex realizes the rule keeping her from Aiden is the smallest of her problems.

MY THOUGHTS
Half-Blood picks us up and deftly tosses us straight into the middle of danger and death with our heroine, giving us little time to get our bearings before we're holding our breath and tensing and releasing our muscles as Alex fights for her life in the opening pages. The action-packed beginning guarantees our immediate involvement in Alex's story, and our connection to her only grows stronger as we begin to see the young woman behind the fighter as well as the mourning daughter behind the smart mouth and bravado. Ms. Armentrout does a positively brilliant job of revealing her world a piece at a time, ensuring we are never left wandering haplessly in the unknown but also making sure we are never so fully informed that we become complacent and lose the addicting tension created when our curiosity is continually piqued.

Alex is a girl whom it's easy to admire, surviving numerous tragedies and horrific encounters in the first few pages to show us just how strong she is physically and mentally, but she also allows us a peek behind that strength by giving us access to the emotions and vulnerabilities that take our bond to her from a pretty solid one to an unbreakable one. Though she often acts out and makes decisions that complicate the lives of those attempting to help her, she harbors no delusions about her recklessness, instead fully embracing it with the knowledge that any inaction on her part would cut just as deeply–if not deeper–than any wound inflicted in battle. She has a quick wit and sass in spades, and we can't help but appreciate that she's never hindered by blinders with regard to her behavior, and even though we know as well as she does that certain choices will lead her in a disastrous direction, we find ourselves urging her forward anyway, ready to stand beside her and face whatever comes our way.

Her relationship with Aiden is one of delightful apprehension, the forbidden nature of it making every look and every minuscule gesture more intense as we analyze their every interaction for a sign of mutual interest. The impossibility of their romance also allows the build up of their feelings to be beautifully but agonizingly slow, our entire bodies attuned to their every movement–wishing, hoping, and wondering how things will play out between the two of them. Though Seth is introduced to the mix a bit later in the book, in this first installment he is not a true threat to Alex's feelings for Aiden (though it certainly seems as though this will not always be the case), allowing the totality of our fixation to remain on Aiden alone to our utter delight. Seth is a young man we undoubtedly want to know more about, but for the moment we are content for him to not yet be the third point of a love triangle.

One small issue that keeps this story from being paranormal young adult perfection is a somewhat inescapable similarity to Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy with regard to a few core elements. There's the half-blood/pure-blood/daimon dynamic in Half-Blood which mimic's Vampire Academy's dhampir/moroi/strigoi relationship quite closely. Then both feature mouthy, headstrong heroines returning to school after an extended absence only to be forced into extra training sessions with an attractive but off-limits young man. Even with the readily apparent comparisons however, it becomes clear as we read further that we are dealing with two very different architects, writers who layer their brick and stone in unique patterns and create intricacies that result in vastly different finished pieces despite the nearly identical foundations.

Rating: 4.5/5

36 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to agree that Alex was rather like Rose at times, and I saw the mentor/mentee relationship dynamic, and yet, Half-Blood just swept me away despite it haha fab review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so long since I read Vampire Academy that I didn't even notice the similarities! But yeah, I really liked Half-Blood, too. The romance between Alex and Aiden, especially, was amazing. :)
    Fabulous review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! I so cannot wait to read Half-Blood!! I haven't read the Vamp Academy, so I won't see any similarities there that might cause conflict for me!! WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Stopped by while checking out the short list. Congrats on your nomination. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. I've been excited about this since Melissa's good review a few days ago. It's interesting to see how similar books are to other books, but I can forgive it if the author twists the inspiration enough. Consider how similar Cassandra Clare's books are to Harry Potter, yet so different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH! I pre-ordered this for a gift for a friend of mine :) I am so glad that it kicks butt and was worthy of a 4.5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the pleasure of meeting Jennifer Armentrout at AADPhilly this summer. She is a doll, but I honestly didn't know what she wrote. This sound great. Thanks for the review. I'll be looking for more of her books now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Aiden and Alex's forbidden romance. It made it that much more delicious! =D And I agree, I will want more of Seth in Pure but I was content with what I learned of him in Half-Blood. Great review, Jenny!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa - I agree, the similarities were not a huge problem at all for me because the mythology felt so different:)

    Lauren - Loved Alex and Aiden! I'm so excited for Pure I can hardly stand it:)

    Ashley - I think you'll love it, I was really impressed!

    Cristina - Thank you so much!

    Alison - Agreed. I couldn't help but pick up on the similarities but she really made everything else her own and I fell in love with her characters:)

    Felicia - LOVED it:) Hope your friend does too!

    Jen - Lucky you! She really blew me away with this one, I hope you give it a try:)

    Bailey - I think Alex and Aiden may be one of my new favorite couples, they were fabulous. I love when a relationship is full of tension and moves so slowly you want to tear your hair out (in a good way). I get all involved in stories like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of this one. Great review Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even given the similarities, I think it sounds like it's worth the read time. As long as a book is well-written, you know? Great review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard the comparison to VA before, but it sounds like Half-Blood is strong enough to stand on its own despite the similarities. 4.5 is high praise from you so I don't think I can pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently read VA, so the similarities kind of put me off. Perhaps this is one to read later, after I've put more books between VA and Half-Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a fabulous read, Jenny! I love how the mythology is fresh and your review definitely piqued my interest. I haven't read VA yet (I know, I know I have the fix that stat), but I love plucky heroines and I'm thrilled to find that the romance is a slow burn instead of the insta-love that's prevalent in books right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tori - Thank you! I really enjoyed it:)

    Linds - It's more than worth it! Normally similarities like this one had would bother me, but everything else was so well done that it was easy to look past. And as you got further in, the similarities disappeared and it became something all it's own:)

    Small - It's definitely strong enough to be it's own story, the similarities become more superficial and then cease to matter the more you read:)

    Amanda - Maybe by the time this one releases you'll be ready for it:)

    Rummanah - I thought it was great. The romance was my favorite part, it was just really well done I thought:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read the VAMPIRE ACADEMY books, so the similarities shouldn't bother me, but I can see how other reads would pick them up quickly. I've not been interested in this book at all, but now you've made really want to read it. I love that things are revealed as you go along, but at a satisfying pace. But why do they have to be bodyguards or slaves? Is that explained?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoo! I can not wait to read this book! I mean, woah! I am loving the sound of Aiden right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Off-limits young men?! My favorite! LOL

    Since I'm full of fail and haven't read VA yet, now I'm wonder which to start with first. Since both series seem to carry inciting elements, I bet I'd like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SWEET!! I cannot wait to get my read on for this one.....

    PS- Im reading Anna Dressed in Blood right now...Holy Smokes its awesome...you think this would be a good one to read after???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jennifer - We don't get a whole lot of history as to why the halfs can only either serve the pures or protect them, we just get the feeling that because of their "half-blood" status they are less respected and should therefore only live their lives in a way that betters those of the pures. I'm sure we'll get more info with each book.

    Savy - Aiden is dead sexy, you will love him:)

    Missie - Right? Mine too:) I would probably start with this series since there are 6 VA books and they're all pretty substantial in size, so this way you can just start from the beginning instead of playing catch up:)

    Tina - I adored it:) I loved ANNA too, it was amazing. This one is really different from it and has more of a romance, so I think you will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha! This is the one you told me about. It sounds really good. Admittedly, while reading the synopsis I felt a little of The Vampire Academy vibe flowing through. I like the whole demi-god aspect of the book and I have a thing for falling in love with one's instructor. I have no idea why. o_o BUT, I love strong heroines who aren't afraid to kick some ass and leave their snark in their wake. Alex sounds like a perfect fit and I cannot wait to pick up Half Blood. *sigh* Jenny, I think my TBR is about to swallow me. ;D

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot wait to read this! I really liked Daimon! And I'm totally for the whole forbidden / teacher aspect of it. I think that is why I found Dimitri so attractive... Ahh, this needs to come out quicker! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. No why does everyone have to like this one and make me want it?! Lol, I got so many books on my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, I actually really like the sound of this one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jenny. I really hadn't heard much about this one before. In my opinion, comparisons to VA can only be a good thing! Watch me read it now and get really annoyed by the similarities. lol!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love impossible romances and have heard such good things about this novel -- I'm so going to have to check it out!
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  26. Since I haven't read the VA stories, I know I won't have that problem, but you made me even more curious about the VA series. LOL

    Oh I loved the prequel and I have this one on the review tbr and I can't wait to get to it! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the covers of these books, and im always looking for the next vampire book. I love vampires! I have Damion and need to read it and then def need to get this book. Great review. I still have not read the vampire academy books either i need to do both soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The fact that there's some similarities with Vampire Academy actually makes me want to read this one a little more rather than less because I loved VA. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this one; everyone seems to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is the second good review of this book that I've read today, and today is also the first time I've heard of this book, so that's definitely high praise! I'll have to check it out! I like the whole idea of the different types of daimons.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The moment I saw Vampire Academy mentioned you have my attention. Since I loved VA I'm hoping I'll like this series too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like being thrown into the center of danger in the first few pages. This one sounds perfect for me - great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I feel like the only one who hasn't read this series lol
    I love the covers and so need to read these books.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I couldn't help but think of the beginning of the Vampire Academy series reading certain things in your review then to have you say it confirmed what I was reading. That being said, it sounds like they are very different or you would have definitely not let the author off. I think I'll have to try this series. That was a great review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  34. One small issue that keeps this story from being paranormal young adult perfection is a somewhat inescapable similarity to Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy with regard to a few core elements.

    I must say that I am kinda excited by the prospect of this... I love VA so much and really miss it to to find a new series somewhat similar to it? Well, it really appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Added to my wish list! This sounds right up my alley. I'm a little worried about it being to similar to VA, but I did love that series so I guess that could be a good thing as long as they're not too similar.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So excited to read this! Alex, the action, the world, and the concept all sound amazing! Added bonus: I've never read VA so the supposed similarity won't bother me.

    ReplyDelete