Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cathy Reviews: Box Office Poison

Cathy is taking over the blog again today to share her thoughts on a recent read, and as always, I'm extraordinarily grateful to her for sharing in the blog fun with me!

BOX OFFICE POISON
Linnet Ellery #2
Phillipa Bornikova
Adult Urban Fantasy
320 pages
Tor Books
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
What happens when exquisitely beautiful elves start getting all the roles in Hollywood? Human actors sue, that’s what. In a desperate attempt to keep the squabbling inside the Screen Actors Guild from going public, the president of SAG forces the two sides into arbitration.

Enter Linnet Ellery, a human lawyer working for a vampire law firm, to serve as arbitrator. Linnet discovers that there are sinister forces at work in Tinsel Town determined to shatter the fragile peace between elves, vampires, werewolves, and humans. Someone has been coercing famous elven actors into committing sudden and terrible acts of violence against humans in a series of tragedies that could turn the tide of public opinion against all the supernatural Powers.

During the course of her investigations Linnet realizes that a puzzling secret surrounds her, and that a strange power has been affecting the very course of her life. . . .


CATHY'S THOUGHTS
I'm very happy that Jenny asked me to review this book. It's the second in a series and I was waiting to find out what was going to happen to Linnet in this adventure. In the first book, This Case is Gonna Kill Me, we were left with a few loose threads I was hoping would be sewn up. I was concerned that the second book would not have the same appeal as the first, but I'm happy to say that Linnet's new adventure in Hollywood does not disappoint. 

In this book, Linnet has to help negotiate an agreement between human and Fey actors. The humans are jealous because the Fey are beautiful and get all the roles. Imagine that! Ms. Bornikova does take the opportunity to emphasize that there should be equal rights and opportunities for all and I got the impression that she felt this way beyond just the book. Even with Hollywood as a backdrop, I was hoping we would get the same Linnet as in the first book – someone smart, funny and a little quirky,  and again I was not disappointed. 

As only Linnet can, she finds herself in the midst of several murders and manages to survive. In the first book, these near misses had a funnier edge to them. Box Office Poison, though humorous, shows Linnet coming to the realization that there's something special about her that allows her to continuously escape, so these mishaps now add to her mystique rather than just being funny. It added further depth to her character. Linnet is in full Nancy Drew mode as she works to solve what is happening in Hollywood and why the elves seem to be out of control. We do get to meet some new  and amusing elfin characters and Ms. Bornikova definitely leaves us wanting to know more about them.
 

We do get to see Linnet's love of horses and her horsemanship again in this book. As I mentioned last time, I was wondering if this was going to be further developed and it plays a big role. I have to say that when I read these passages, some of the nuance is lost on me, but I know Jenny would thoroughly love it. This thread of the storyline gives a little more of a tease into what Linnet may be and who is watching over her while she fumbles through her investigations.
 

Now, for the romance. In the last book, John, her elfin PI and sort-of boyfriend, is stuck in Alfar. Linnet hasn't given up hope of getting him back and she wheels and deals to have a visit but........ As I've been told, romance in urban fantasy moves a bit slower, and it may just move a little too slowly for me. I am not always so patient, but I'm looking forward to the next book to see if John makes a bigger appearance. As a tease, in this book, there is a vampire that seems to be showing a little more emotion and attention to Linnet than would be expected from a vampire!
 

This book told a satisfying, contained story but gave us enough to think about so that we will anxiously anticipate the next book. I look forward to reading more of Linnet's adventures.

Rating: 4/5



Find Phillipa:
 

This book was sent to me by the publisher  free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my (or in this case, Cathy's) honest opinion.

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. waving back at you! I means a lot to have someone read my review. thanks

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series before, Cathy, but it looks like a lot of fun.
    Linnet sounds like an interesting character and I especially like the sound of the horses playing a big role in the book. It's not always that you see horses in UF books. It's true that in UF series, the romance develops slowly, but I'm quite fond of slow developing romances, so I might enjoy it.
    I'm glad that you liked this one! :)
    Thanks for sharing and great review, Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very interesting plot line. I've enjoyed it and it doesn't harm me to take it slow!!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a fun book Cathy, the romance and mystery in it reminds me of one of my favourite series (Heather Wells by Meg Cabot). I'm glad that despite the slow romacne you were able to enjoy this book. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I will have to check out the series you suggested, thanks

      Delete
  4. Hi, Mom Cath! I added this series to my to-read list. Definitely like that Linnet's a lawyer and that she's got an interest outside of law and the Fae (so many UF heroes don't have anything else going on in their lives, it seems).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary, thanks for the support. I like when the paranormals have some humor to them

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this series but I am so glad that you liked the second book just as much and that some of your questions from the first one were answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to get this one and see that it was just as entertaining. She did a good job stringing me along for the next installment

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard much about this UF Series, but I love a slow-burn romance and the plot and characters in this sound great as well! I hope you keep reviewing the series as I rarely start an UF Series without plenty of books to fly through in it, so I hope this series keeps its excellence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on this, I will look forward to the future and if she continues to write Linnet's character the way she has, it will be fun.

      Delete
  7. I like the romances in urban fantasy because I adore a good slow build, but they can get drawn out too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is enticing us to continue the series to see what will develop.

      Delete
  8. You've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. I have not yet had the time to read outside of my review pile yet. This sounds awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the pile never gets any smaller and I have Jenny to thank for my urban fantasy fix. :}

      Delete
  9. I haven't heard of this series, but I do like the Hollywood bent to the usual UF setting. And yes, romances in UF can be slow going but it's the back and forth relationships a la Chicagoland Vampires is what drives me nuts. Sounds like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Hollywood was an interesting twist! It is a fantasy there already!

      Delete
  10. Oooh, now this sounds like it could be a lot of fun to read! I haven't heard of the series before now, but the Hollywood twist makes it seem much more original! Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lot of originality and a really funny and strong heroine. Plus all the side characters have interest.

      Delete
  11. Awesome! The series just moved to my Christmas list :) I was waiting to see if you liked the second one as much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it and glad it made your list. Can't believe that Christmas is in sight :{

      Delete
  12. Lovely review Cathy! I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds like I should check it out. I don't mind a bit of a slow moving romance (I feel primed for it with so much YA and UF reading), so hopefully it won't bother me. Glad to hear you're enjoying it enough to look forward to book three! Thanks for sharing your thought :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I wouldn't have heard of this series without Jenny. Always glad to pass along a good read.

      Delete
  13. LOL @ Nancy Drew mode...you got me there! Great review...I'm going to check into this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's showing my age, but I loved Nancy Drew and now Linnet is it for the urban fantasy crowd.

      Delete
  14. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed this one and had those loose ends tied up. I hate it when you want a book to do that and they drop those ends. So, this sounds like a series I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a teaser but I am glad she wrapped up major plot lines.I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  15. This sounds really good, and I am glad book two delivered as well..i am adding both to my list! Thanks Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't heard of this series, I don't think. It sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I haven't been able to comment as much, Jenny. I'm going back to uni again and it's just been a very stressful time.

    Anyway, I really should give urban fantasy more of a try since I like fantasy and paranormal and the genre sort of tends combine both. I know there are lots of good adult ones - this series seems to be another one - but can you recommend some YA urban fantasies?

    ReplyDelete