Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review: Ultraviolet Catastrophe

ULTRAVIOLET CATASTROPHE
Jamie Grey
Young Adult/Sci-fi
350 pages
Self-published
Available now
Source: author for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Quantum Electrodynamics. String Theory. Schrödinger's cat. For sixteen-year-old Lexie Kepler, they’re just confusing terms in her science textbooks, until she finds out that her parents have been drugging her to suppress her outrageous IQ. Now Branston Academy, a school run by the world’s most powerful scientists, has tracked her down and is dying for her to attend - as a research subject.

She takes refuge at Quantum Technologies, a secret scientific community where her father works as a top-notch scientist, and begins her new life as girl genius at Quantum High. But the assignments at her new school make the Manhattan Project look like preschool - and Lexie barely survived freshman algebra.

Her first big assignment – creating an Einstein-Rosen bridge – is also her first chance to prove she can hold her own with the rest of QT's prodigies. But while working with the infuriatingly hot Asher Rosen, QT’s teen wonder, Lexie uncovers a mistake in their master equation. Instead of a wormhole, the machine they’re building would produce deadly ultraviolet rays that could destroy the world. Now Lexie and Asher have to use their combined brainpower to uncover the truth behind the device. Before everyone at Quantum Technologies is caught in the ultraviolet catastrophe.


MY THOUGHTS
With a synopsis full of hugely intimidating words like “quantum electrodynamics”, we can’t help but enter into this story a bit wary, wondering if Lexie’s aptitude for the more mathematical sciences and her enormous IQ might leave us eating her mental dust, overwhelmed and struggling with what comes so easily to her. Despite the aforementioned daunting words tossed around on occasion however, Lexie’s story is an easy one to settle into, her hurt and confusion over her parents’ dishonesty slicing through any hesitancy we might have had before cracking the spine like butter, instantly having us up in arms and ready to do battle on her behalf.

Not only do we quickly find ourselves at Lexie’s back–ready to deliver a verbal blow or two to parents who put her at a serious disadvantage with regard to both Quantum High and her understanding of who she is–but we also share in her nervousness in starting at a new school where she’s already monstrously behind. She therefore feels like a friend from the get-go, and while there is a bit of a push-pull between her and her parents wherein she gets angry at them and then seems to forgive them easily in turn, her reactions are understandable given the extent of her parents' lies, even if their intentions were honorable. Her attraction to Asher feels genuine and progresses at a deliciously slow place as they both find themselves distracted with very complicated scientific projects, giving us a nice balance between flirtation and mystery to ensure we’re invested in every chapter.

Though the ultimate bad guy is fairly easy to detect early on, the characters and the scientific aspect of the plot are extremely engaging, making Ultraviolet Catastrophe a book that easily fits into the category of a one-sit read. There’s some character backstory with both Lexie and Asher’s parents that could have been poked and prodded a bit more until it coughed up their secrets, but all in all, our time with the two of them is time well-spent and we close the back cover with a complete story and a satisfied grin in place.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Jamie:


This book was sent to me by the author free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

30 comments:

  1. Ah Jenny so that sounds actually pretty cool! Even though I agree, the synopsis sounds intimidating lol!
    I love that there is a little romance and a little mystery - enough to make us happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was worried when I first read the synopsis - math and science are absolutely NOT my thing, but it was an easy story to get into. And yay romance:)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one but I like the cover and you've definitely got me intrigued, Jenny - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a pretty lofty synopsis, but it sounds like it was definitely executed well! I wouldn't have given this one another thought if it wasn't for you, so thank you! Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read “quantum electrodynamics" and thought of The Big Bang Theory...I don't understand what they're talking about half the time but I like it anyway. Science is cool. Sounds like an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science is cool. It just goes way over my head most of the time:) I wasn't overly lost with this story thought which was nice!

      Delete
  5. That is quite a mistake, from wormhole to death rays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you liked this even if you did enter into it with a little trepidation. I am not sure how much I would like this one because of all the big words and sci fi feel but your review does have me intrigued Jenny.
    Wonderful review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not Ali, if I wasn't confused, it's unlikely anyone else will be. I fail at pretty much anything math and science related!

      Delete
  7. I'm loving all shades of violet on this cover :) I haven't heard of this story and honestly I haven't heard of it. It sounds like a really interesting read and a bit of romance and mystery is a great combination. Great review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh. The premise sounds fun and intriguing. Might have to check this out. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hugely entertained Amanda! I'll definitely be reading more from Jamie:)

      Delete
  9. Ok now I'm really curious why her parents drugged her, Jenny! "Quantum electrodynamics" definitely sounds intimidating but I'm glad the science in this book didn't confuse you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm easily confused by math and science, so it's a feat for an author to make a premise like this easy for me to understand!

      Delete
  10. Never heard of this book but it sounds great! Thanks for sharing Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, glad I could put it on your radar!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow I've not come across this book before, but after reading the premise, I'm sure I would find myself gravitating towards this book in a book store. I love the concept of this book, as I've not seen anything like this around before, but also the slow relationship between Asher and Lexie sounds like something I would definitely like! Gorgeous review Jenny and thanks for putting this book on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the relationship between Asher and Lexie. There was just enough tension to keep me interested without all the drama and angst:)

      Delete
  12. Wow, that synopsis IS intimidating! But I'm so glad the story was easily accessible and that the relationship between Asher and Lexie was strong. I adore YA sci-fi, so I am very grateful to you for putting this on my radar! Lovely review Jenny :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I haven't heard of this one and this sounds fab! I like the sound of Lexie and it also sounds like I'll be throwing the book when it comes to the parentals. I'll have to make sure I remember I'm reading on an ereader. LOL Adding it to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when you can close a book and feel satisfied. Though those were some mighty big words in that synopsis. Scared the heck out of me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. These parents sound like they need a phone call from DSS! What terrible things ya parents do in the name of "protecting" their children. Anyway, I agree that the synopsis made me a tad nervous, but I think it would be fun to watch Lexie come into her genius. Also, I am always up for a romance with a hottie with brains!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely intrigued! Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I would have thought it was way over my head from the synopsis, so I'm glad to hear it wasn't really. I hadn't heard of it before so thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first thing I noticed was the title! I really like it! It's unique and memorable. I think Lexie's situation with her parents would probably bother me a lot, but I'd enjoy being on her side just as much as you did. She sounds like a great character. I'm glad you enjoyed this, despite the predictability.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the synopsis of this and was like I don't even understand some of these terms. It's really good then that the plot is relatively easy to understand and that you were able to connect with the character, Jenny. This one sounds a bit different from what I typically read but I like the sound of it. I'll add it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete