Thursday, January 3, 2013

Interview: Andrea Lynn Colt + Torched


I'm thrilled today to welcome young adult author Andrea Lynn Colt to the blog to answer a few questions about her latest release Torched. I absolutely adored this book and highly recommend it to fans of contemporary YA who are looking for a fun and fast read. Welcome to Supernatural Snark Andrea!

Rose handles the evidence of Ryan’s alleged cheating far better than I would have in her shoes. I tend to jump to conclusions and hold a mean grudge :) Are you the type of person to jump to conclusions as well, or are you more like Rose, content to wait until you have more information before you formulate an opinion?

I guess I'm like Rose in that I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. After all, until we know the whole story, there's always an alternate explanation that might be true - the world is a weird place!

If we could have been in Paxton’s head the minute he found out Rose was accused of arson, what would we have heard him thinking?

Probably something along the lines of, "Oh wow, she really went overboard – but I know she's ballsy enough to pull that off! Also, if Ryan's really cheating on her ... then Ryan's an idiot." ;-)

Rose and Paxton have such a tension-filled, antagonistic relationship – one of my very favorite things to read about. Aside from Rose and Paxton, do you have a favorite fictional antagonistic couple?

I absolutely love antagonistic couples! They're my favorite to read and watch. I adored Buffy and Spike on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show because of their tension and banter. For books, a favorite couple is Phedre and Joscelin from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series; their relationship starts off very antagonistic, and though they fall irretrievably in love, it's never easy for them.

Really, any couple that starts out as enemies, frenemies or simply at odds with each other makes me want to see their sparks. Some recent-ish YA examples can be found in The DUFF by Kody Keplinger, or Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.

Did you simply make up the practical jokes Rose and Paxton play on one another, or do you have any first-hand experience with such activities?

Making up the jokes was one of the most entertaining parts of writing Torched - I always love books with pranks in them, though my sister and I never pranked each other. We're twins, and I think if we'd started a prank war it would have escalated badly, and we would have wound up getting in a lot of trouble!

Two other prank-filled books I've read are A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker, and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, so if you're looking for more fun books, check those out.

Rose names her car Cloudmonster. Does yours have a name?

It doesn't, not officially! It's a red Prius, and my fiancé calls it the Hampstermobile because it's shaped (in his opinion) like a rodent, but I pretend not to hear that :)

If you were to design a movie poster for Torched, what would the tagline be?

Ooh what a fun question! Maybe, "Where there are sparks, there's fire!"

Let’s say you’ve been falsely accused of a crime as Rose is. Just how good are your detective skills and do you put them to work for you to help clear your name?

I am actually terrible at noticing things, and incredibly easy to surprise (which is fun when people surprise me with parties!), so I'd probably be totally blindsided by an accusation. I'd spend a lot more time freaking out than Rose does, but I like to think that once I put my mind to it I'd be able to regroup and kick some butt to clear my name the way she does!

Thanks so much for having me on Supernatural Snark!

Glad to have you Andrea! More information on Andrea and her books can be found here:

Website
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Amazon Buy Link

TORCHED
Rose Whitfield's senior year just went up in smoke. Instead of having a blast with her best friend, her cheerleading squad, and her boyfriend Ryan, she's framed for arson. Popularity and criminal records don't mix, apparently.

Luckily, Rose knows exactly who's framing her: Paxton Callaway. Paxton and Rose have spent years locked in a war of practical jokes. This time he's gone too far. Rose sets out to prove her innocence, win Ryan back, and take Paxton down hard. Not necessarily in that order.

28 comments:

  1. This was such a fun interview, ladies. I'm glad that you spot-lighted this book, Jenni because I've never heard of it. I love antagonistic relationships too. They are always fun to read about. I love that the 2 constantly prank each other. I will definitely check out this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, glad you enjoyed it! Antagonistic relationships are my favorite, I never get tired of them:)

      Delete
  2. Really fun interview, guys! Torched seems so awesome, and I'm a huge fan of antagonistic relationships! Under the Never Sky is amazing; anyone who recommends it certainly earns my trust right away! So now I HAVE to read Torched. ;) JENNY! I hold mean grudges too!!! :D Lol anyway. Lovely review, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Under the Never Sky so much! I think you'll really enjoy this one Riya:)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this book before but after this funny interview I'm curious about it. I got some pieces here and there and I think I should discover the whole story. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! It's a such a great contemporary YA:)

      Delete
  4. I have to say, I love this cover. With the matchsticks in a heart shape, ready to burn? Yes, please!

    Hamstermobile...heh. I had a friend who named her car but I never have. Maybe that's why she's being bitchy. She needs a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? And it's so bright without being garish, I would notice it on a shelf immediately:)

      Delete
  5. I would totally suck at being a detective. I love to think I could figure it out but unless I could google it, I would be lost LOL

    Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This totally sounds like my kind of book! I love antagonistic relationships, and that Andrea references The DUFF, Under the Never Sky, and Buffy makes me very happy! LOL

    Yup. Totally adding this to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT IRISH!!! It's the perfect book to pick up in between dark and gritty books:)

      Delete
  7. Awesome interview! I totally have to read this book now. It's sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would hold a mean grudge too, Rose is better than me then

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great interview. I have had this book for review for a while and I am hopping to get to it really, really soon. This makes me want to even sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of the book cover. It's something that I would look past in a store but! After reading how this book has a rivalry turned into romance scenario, I am totally psyched up to read it! Gosh, I am a sucker for those!

    And we name our cars too. We have George, Preston and Bob :D

    Great questions and post, Jenny <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, i love snarky banter between couples. This sounds interesting and was new to me, so thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love frenemies and pranks! I have this book scheduled for Fire and Ice and I am very much looking forward to reading this one. I am loving all these great indie authors we are getting! Fun interview ladies! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun interview. Now, every car has to have some sort of nickname. It's a law or something, right? :) I also don't think I like the antagonistic relationship, but when you mention Buffy and Spike... I guess I do! :D

    Jenny, you rock the interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview, again, Jenny! I really want to read this one! Did you review it? I missed it if you did. Of course, that doesn't surprise me. But it sounds very fun and I love to laugh in books!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, OMG, OMG! She mentioned Phedre and Joscelin! Those are my favorite book characters EVER. Seriously, EVER! It seems like hardly anyone has read the series and I'm totally in awe of Jacqueline Carey and her amazing (mind blowing!) skillz. In AWE.

    I loved Torched! It was fun getting to know Andrea a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love the antagonistic relationship between Buffy and Spike too, hah! :) Fabulous interview, ladies! This book sounds really great and I'm loving that unique cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cloudmonster is such a wonderful name for a car! Orignal, too. My kid named my poor car White Rocket *bows head in shame* and I had no say in it, so I guess I'll just have to buy a new car soon, haha.
    Anyway, this sounds like a wonderful book, I adore the title, the cover and antagonstic relationships.
    I'm defintiely in. Thanks for the lovely interview, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woah! This one looks great will definitely add to my TBR jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of this one but it sounds like a lot of fun, Jenny. I'm adding it to my wishlist since I love books with pranks in them. I'm terrible at thinking of pranks and get surprised really easily - which is why my siblings love scaring me - so maybe I can use the book for inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I've had my eye on this book for a while. I had put it in my Amazon wish list and now I just clicked over and bought it. You had me at Buffy and Spike!! My favorite TV couple ever! Plus, this story just sounds amazing. I love relationships that start out antagonistic! Great interview ladies. Can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete