Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: The Duchess War

THE DUCHESS WAR
Brothers Sinister #1
Courtney Milan
Adult Historical Romance
ebook
Available Now
Received from author for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Sometimes love is an accident.

This time, it’s a strategy.


Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...


MY THOUGHTS
The first full length novel in Ms. Milan's new Brothers Sinister series, The Duchess War gives us the wonderfully rich characters we've come to expect from her books, delighting us with two people who are a beautiful combination of strengths and weaknesses and who find the counterpoint to each of those things in the other. This newest release is perhaps one of her slower-building romances, the careful courtship dance between Minnie and Robert both humorous and tension filled as they struggle with the shape their families molded them into, longing to be the sculptors of their own forms but at a loss as to where to start once they pick up the chisel.

Minnie is a spitfire masquerading as a quiet and unassuming young woman, her repeated interactions with Robert the only moments she allows the stranglehold she has on her true personality to lessen enough that a flame or two escapes. She's frightfully intelligent and exceedingly clever, her banter with Robert gloriously entertaining as she gives little mind to his status as a duke when she opens her mouth, allowing insults, innuendo and ego to slip out and dance merrily in the air between them. She has a painful past, one that instilled in her such fear that she allowed her aunts and society as a whole to pinch and twist her until an ordinary veneer masked and imprisoned an extraordinary woman. The threat of her past does at times cause her strike out in self defense before a strike against her can be made, but the strength of her reactions to what haunts her is so great that it's difficult to muster up any ire at her for doing so.

Robert, like Minnie, has allowed his mother's indifference and his father's cruelty to make him a chimera of sorts, their combined action and inaction forcing two distinct individuals–the man he currently is and the man he wants so desperately to be–to exist side by side in one body and battle each other for dominance. He lives with the constant fear that he is his father's son, analyzing his every thought and action and comparing it to his father's to see if he is in danger of becoming a man who would exploit his station to his every personal and professional advantage. Watching as two deeply terrified but amazingly strong individuals find someone to whom they can hand their worst fears and find solace and warmth– rather than disgust or condemnation–upon the baring of their soul is a pleasure to read about, and an experience we can't help but want to repeat again and again.

Though the secondary characters play a very small role in this first installment, Ms. Milan manages to make them memorable despite their brief appearances, and we can only sit back and smile when we see them on page, knowing their souls are the next to be bared to us as the series continues. Overall, The Duchess War is a highly enjoyable start to this new series and yet another winner from Ms. Milan.

Rating: 4/5

37 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing. I just finished my first adult historical romance. A book by Sarah Maclean that I got at BEA. It was a little silly, but fun nonetheless. Do you have any recommendations for who I should try next for a regency era romance? There's Ms. Milan here of course. Who else? Have you read Julia Quinn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH ALISON!!! I do love historical romances:) Sarah Maclean's are great - was it one of her numbers books ("eleven ways to do something" - I can't remember the title)? You should read A Rogue By Any Other Name as well - it's great:)

      I have read Julia Quinn and enjoy her books, but you should definitely read The Spindle Cove series by Tessa Dare - they're funny and a bit lighter but have such great characters. I also adore Elizabeth Hoyt - her Maiden Lane series is a favorite:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the email Jenny! It was the Eleven book. I wish I'd read 9 and 10 first but you didn't really need to.

      Delete
  2. I really want to try it and hope to be as smitten as I was by one of her novellas. Because that one was awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really enjoy her characters. This one the romance was a bit more drawn out than usual, it took them a long time to get together, so you have to be a bit patient:)

      Delete
  3. I loved this one :). Then again, I've liked most of Courtney Milan's work. I think what struck me most about this one was how their pasts played a huge role in determining their later actions--that sounds obvious, but I sometimes find that other characters aren't as unique/memorable for that very reason. Also, Minnie was really clever, and the messiness of their relationship in the beginning is nicely done. Yay for liking it! Did you read the two accompanying novellas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad you loved it too! I read the one novella about the woman who was raped by Robert's father, I still need to read the other one:)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow what a beautiful dress! :) I'm not fan of adult history romance so I'll probably skip this one but still sounds like an interesting read! :) Maybe I'll read it one day. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not a fan of the genre it's probably not the book for you:) I agree it is a beautiful dress though!

      Delete
  5. I didn't like it as much as her other books but I admit Ms Milan still reminds one of few his-romance authors I like and read with pleasure. A great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a bit slower than some of her previous books, but I still loved it:)

      Delete
  6. I don't think I have read anything by this author, but she sounds like one I need to investigate! Brilliant review, Jenny. I'm glad you had fun with this new series and enjoyed your time with Minnie and Robert. Both sound like wonderfully-built characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Sam! I think that's key in any romance since the plot mostly centers around them and if you don't like one or both, it's a complete romance fail:)

      Delete
  7. Oh, Jenny. You make me WANT this book. *runs off to add it to my wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! *pats self on back for a job well done*

      Delete
  8. I've never read a historical romance book before. To be honest, the covers put me off but I'm really curious about this one because the characters sound terrific. Romance moves very slowly at my library (hence Fabio-like covers) but I think I might order this one. Not to mention that dress on the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before I comment, I'm just going to say that, adult fiction is probably my least favorite out of adult/NA/YA, but I like it. Historical, on the other hand, well.. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. I hate historical genre, but if I find a historical book that I love, then I really love it.

    OK. *goes off to read your review* WHAT? Wallflowers aren't the prettiest to bloom? Who said that???? Obviously The Perks of Being a Wallflower's movie didn't exist back then. Logan Lerman portraying Charlie was pure amazeballs and seeing Charlie blossom into a beautiful colorful flower was inspiring. Wow! It sounds awfully similar to Pride and Prejudice, which, believe me or not, is one of my favorite books ever! I've probably re-read it about 4-5 times. You really got me hooked with this review. If I don't get my historical dose fixed by Clockwork Princess, I'll look into it, I promise:) Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Milan is another author I've been meaning to get around to for ages, I just didn't know where to begin, but this, seriously Jenny it's like you read my mind and know what I'm in the mood for! First The Running Man themed book and now this! I will definitely be getting onto this soon! Thanks so much for putting it on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not one to go out of her way to read historical fiction - occassionally I'll snag one that grabs my attention, but mostly I don't. I think a lot of that is because the characters can seem so similar throughout the entire genre. It gets tedious and old and I like new and shiny.

    Sounds like this is a book I might enjoy, though, and it's a solid first start to a new series. Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love historical fiction and it has been awhile since I read a good HR. I am not familiar with this author so I shall have to look into her stuff. This sounds like a really good read and I am lusting over the cover. yeah I know I am shallow like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo I love the cover and historical romances are my guilty pleasure and this sounds delightful! Adding to goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im not a fan of historical fiction at ALL, so Im not going to read this. Though Im glad you really enjoyed it! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! I have actually never read any historical romances, but I am sure I would love them! Since this is a first in a new series, I'll definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty sure I'm the only one that dnf'd this book :) I just found it sooooo boring.

    And I think the lowest grade I've given Milan previous to this (and I've read all her work) was a B+

    *hangs head*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh she is on the top of my historical fic book list. I haven't had a chance to read her yet, but I have at least one book of hers on my tbr. Oh I can't wait to get to it and now that I know this is a start of a series, I think I'll add this one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so super picky about historical books!!!! Gah... I can't decide dude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't heard of this author or her books before, but they sound really good. I'll have to give this a try for sure!(: Amazing review, Jenny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read this author yet but this book sounds really good! I have been craving historical fiction and I love characters with strong personalities. Awesome review, I'll definitely watch for this author!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I read a book by this author not sure but Jenny you do know that I love historical romance and I am always looking for more adult books to read. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, good ole Courtney Milan. She's a classic, especially with the historical romances. Don't you love those authors who are consistently good? Plus, that dress is to die for! If only I had a place to wear such a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know, I've never read a Courtney Milan book! Looks like I'm missing out, huh?? Glad you loved this one, Jenny! Historicals aren't really my thing unless they are about hot Scots ;) but Robert sounds positively scrumptious!! Glad you liked this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Urghh..It's been so long since I read an adult historical fiction! Reading your review makes me miss how much I loved reading them a few years back! I think Courtney Milan is definitely an author to look out for :) Glad you enjoyed this so much Jenny!<3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Jenny! I've never heard of this book or author but a spitfire masquerading as a wallflower sounds interesting. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. While I don't read adult books, this one actually sounds great! I might just need to venture out into the world of adult books.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds like a wonderful slow-built romance, just the type I love! That cover is gorgeous, too! Wonderful review Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't typically read a lot of historical fiction, though over the past 6 or 8 months, I found myself reading and enjoying it more. Minnie sounds like quite the character. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have not read any Courtney Milan yet. I'm not a huge fan of romances, but I do love historical/Regency-era stories. Your review really intrigues me so I think I'll have to look into this author!

    ReplyDelete