Friday, January 7, 2011

Review: The Greyfriar

THE GREYFRIAR (Vampire Empire #1)
Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith
Urban Fantasy
301 pages
Pyr/Prometheus Books
Available Now

THE STORY
In 1870 everything changed. Humans went from the dominant species to outcasts, fighting for survival and struggling to rebuild the empires they lost when the vampires swept through and destroyed everything in their path. Now in the year 2020, the surviving refugees, who fled to the areas south of the equator where the heat prevents vampires from traveling, have gained back their strength and amassed an army to rival their vampire enemy's forces.

Princess Adele of Equatoria is sent on a mission to build alliances for the new war against the vampires, but before she can play at politics, her airship convoy is attacked and she is separated from her younger brother and her people, saved from a lethal vampire's grasp by The Greyfriar, a man of myth and legend rumored to have destroyed hundreds of vampire foes single-handedly.

The Greyfriar leads her deeper into enemy territory in an attempt to expedite her return to Equatoria and the hands of her American fiance, then loses her to the clutches of vampire Prince Gareth and his brother Cesare. While trapped at Gareth's stronghold, Adele learns more about the vampires and the humans that live among them than she ever learned through her studies, and her relationship with Gareth changes her view of the impending war forever.

MY THOUGHTS
The world of The Greyfriar is one the likes of which we've never seen before, combining both familiar and unfamiliar vampire lore reminiscent of an ancient past with the hypnotic newness of the technological advancements defining the steampunk genre. This world of vampires is brutal, their fangs not used only for sustenance or pleasure, but instead to tear, maim, and dominate the human population. While we read on in grim fascination at the singular killing instinct of these beings, we also blink in awe and wonder as the pages paint pictures of regal airships and progressive weaponry, thereby thrusting us into a juncture where old world mythology meets futuristic possibility, and we have the pleasure of experiencing both the childish sense of giddiness at all things novel combined with the full emotional depth and character attachment the rest of us so desperately craves. This story provides us with not just a spectacular world, but also with characters who leap from the pages to take form right before our eyes, their images leaving lasting imprints on the insides of our lids so we see them fully and completely while awake or asleep, and whether we're reading their story or continuing with our lives, they remain forever with us.

Adele is a truly spectacular heroine, exuding a strength and fighting ability that makes us wish we could follow her lead and take up arms beside her, but also maintaining a feminine vulnerability that allows us to penetrate her impressive royal warrior visage and find the leader, the friend, and the memorable woman underneath. Though she harbors the same prejudice and hatred for the vampire race as her countrymen, when presented with the possibility that her opinion isn't completely incontrovertible, she doesn't clutch to her righteousness for an extended period of time to the detriment of her relationship with Gareth, but expands the understandable narrow-mindedness and allows him to show her what she never imagined possible.

The connection between Adele and Gareth is one of extreme potency, yet the intensity stems not from grandiose actions or bold declarations, but from the simplest of gestures that, in the context of these two individuals, are extraordinarily poignant and moving. Suddenly, amidst the chaos of vicious fighting, blood, and death, we find ourselves sequestered in the blissful warmth of the growing affection between our two protagonists, basking in the glow as adorable misspellings and awkward haircuts transform from mundane occurrences to moments thrumming with an innocent passion and a mutual trust that speak far more loudly than any voice ever could. Gareth, for all that he is physically similar to his vampire brethren, is a knight-errant, choosing to be different in mind and soul where he cannot be different in body, and bearing witness to Adele's gradual acceptance of both the man and the presumed monster is a heartwarming intimacy not soon forgotten.

The Greyfriar is a pleasure to read, and surprising in the emotional reaction it evokes as our attachment to Adele and Gareth grows with every passing moment they spend in our thoughts. Their journey is just beginning, and though they are separated by distance, race, and politics, they are bound in feeling, the strength of Adele's affection breaking through the numbness of Gareth's vampire reality and creating the possibility of a future where their obstacles may be overcome. A future where their time together will no longer be defined by brief moments, but by days, weeks, and years. We are left with the knowledge that miles of rough terrain remain underfoot for the two of them, but their newfound ardor radiates from the pages nonetheless, melting the chill we feel when confronted with the difficulties they're sure to face, and we close the back cover with a soaring hope for their inevitable reunion.

Rating: 4.5/5

40 comments:

  1. I got nervous when I saw this one in my reader...it's on my wishlist and I have high hopes for it, so I was REALLY hoping it was going to get a good review from you. Which it did, yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love characters that leave such a huge imprint on our hearts that we remember them long after we stopped reading that book. :) You know me, I love some good characterization. It helps if the romance is sweet and passionate. I've seen this book around for a while, but because of my stupidly long TBR, I haven't picked it up. I'll need to now, though, since you have such good praise for it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of burnt out on vampires right now but if ever I feel the itch, this sounds like an excellent read. Uniqueness, and steampunk, and a great heroine. Yes, this does indeed sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Aylee, I am a bit tired of vampires but this book sounds very good - more exciting than the usual vampire novels! I like it when the female protagonist is portrayed as strong ,so I will definitely be reading this. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a fantastic review. I love the idea of the steam punk element in this book and the fact that it is also dystopian in nature.Adele sound like a wonderfully drawn character and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those books I wouldn't have given a second glance if I hadn't just read your review. Now it's surely going on my wishlist. Thanks Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing. Adele and Gareth sound like my kind of characters. I am running off to order this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review, I think Greyfriar sounds like an awesome read. I added it to my wishlist after your teaser Tuesday post and now I'm even more sure that I need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I keep seeing rave ones for this book, might need to pick it up huh? LOL =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Really glad you like this book. I have such a great time reading it. And the ending with the secret was sweet! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YES! I am SO glad you loved this book, Jenny! Wasn't the Greyfriar amazing?!?!?! I was so surprised that I loved this book because, to be honest, I hate vampires, so this was totally refreshing. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...this sounds fabulous. I love vampire books - weird that I'm so into this genre. I haven't read steampunk yet but want to. I love that Adele is a character capable of change - capable of being open to learning things from those she dislikes. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a kick-butt review!! So goggles aside Im going to grab this and give it a try...:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this was an amazing review! I'm not sure if this is up my alley or not but you definitely have piqued my interest! I just may have to give it a shot. Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I picked this one up! I can't wait to read it and your review was fantastic. It does seem very unique and while a little outside my 'normal' reading range, I think I will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good characters, vamps, and steampunk all in one? I'm sold! Going to put this one in my tbr pile. Thanks for the review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just won a copy of this not even a week ago. Can't wait to read it. Nice review!


    Stephanie G
    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the comments everyone, I just adored this book:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome review! I might have to check this out! I haven't really read any steampunk but I think it's something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds really interesting and I want to read it now! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen this cover around and I never really read the synopsis because the cover turned me off. I wouldn't have read a review for this one either, but since it was you who reviewed it, I decided to read. I'm glad I did. I would have continued to overlook this book otherwise and it actually sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mollie - I think you'd like this one, it's got a little bit of everything in it!

    Miss Cindy - Thanks! It's very, very interesting:)

    Small - The cover doesn't do much for me, though it makes more sense after I've read it, but the story I thought was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a superb review. It sounds like an amazing book. I'm also feeling a bit burned out on vampires just now, but I might be enticed to pick this one up. It sounds like it's steampunk vampires, what with the mix of futuristic and ancient (and airships!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! I have been wanting this book and now I think I'm salivating for it. *wipes chin* Darn you and your spectacular reviews! I really think I need this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent review! I for one am not burnt out on vampires right now. I've been reading so many other kinds of books. I'm intrigued by the steampunk angle. I haven't read too many of those, so I'm excited to read Vampire Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds pretty good!
    You won an award on my blog. :)
    http://hookedtobookblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm hearing so many good things about this one, that I'm just going to have to check it out! I'm not too fond of the cover, but I'll put that aside.

    By the way, I've bookmarked your Last Sacrifice review for when I'm done with VA. I couldn't read it now, but I definitely want to compare thoughts on the last book!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Madigan - Thank you very much! This one didn't even feel like a vampire book to me, there was so much going on with just the character relationships that the vampire element, though present, wasn't dominant:) I hope you give it a try when you're back on the vampire train!

    Melissa - DO IT! Read it Melissa, Read it:)

    Julie - I'm not either, I don't think I can get burnt out on them, each book brings something new to the table for me:)

    Michelle - Thank you!

    Leanna - It's wonderful:) Can't wait to see what you think of VA!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read this quickly over Christmas. I thought it was fascinating - a new vampire twist meets some steampunk. Your interview is beautiful - I loved Gareth so much! Adele was a great heroine - she was fiesty fun, wasn't she?

    Love your review, Jenny - just love them! Keep on rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bugger! I have this one stashed in my bookcase, unloved. Steampunk is a genre that I've kind of been resisting for some reason, but thankfully, The Iron Duke helped me see the light... or rather... gadgets.

    Your review made me a bit sad. Inevitable reunion? Looks like I'm in for a bittersweet adventure.

    Thanks for the fabulous review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was nervous when I saw this up, because I WANT this book, but what if it gets a bad review? So glad you liked it! After reading such a great review, I don't know if I can wait until February for it to be available at Book Depository. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Linds - I loved Gareth to, his note at the end made me tear up:)

    Missie - Pull it off the bookshelf! It is bittersweet but so so good:)

    Jennifer - I hope you like it! Can't wait to see what you think:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've seen this book around for a few weeks now and I thought that it looked really awesome and you just confirmed it (so thanks! ;) )... I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your reviews always blow my mind. Sure you have found your true calling? ;) I am excited for this book, even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know you featured this in a Teaser Tuesday and found it interesting. So, I've been waiting for your review to see if it was really worth reading and now will be adding it to my wishlist since it sounds like something I'll really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay! I'm so glad to hear that the Greyfriar is as good as I was hoping. Fabulous review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Gareth and Adele sound both so intriguing. Actually, they sound like their journey is the kind of journey that one simply has to experience. I can't believe I've never heard of this book before - and have to admit that based on its cover, I wouldn't normally look twice at it. Your review has definitely made the difference. Will definitely be on the lookout for this one now! Fantastic review as always Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hadn't even heard of this one! Sounds so good too, great review Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have this one sitting on my desk just begging to be read. Now I want to move it up even more. Really great review! I hope I like it as much as you did :)

    ReplyDelete