Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Interview: Nalini Singh


Those of you who read this blog with any regularity are well aware that I'm a huge fan–dare I say a complete and utter fangirl–of Nalini Singh and both of her adult paranormal romance series. It goes without saying then that I'm absurdly excited to welcome her back to the blog today to answer a few questions about her latest release in the Psy-Changeling series, Tangle of Need. I think Nalini writes absolutely captivating characters, and hers are stories that bring a smile to my face every time without fail, so I hope anyone who has yet to pick up one of her books will give her a try!

You give those of us who absolutely adore Hawke and Sienna a gift in Tangle of Need by continuing their story right alongside Adria and Riaz’s. Is there one scene between Hawke and Sienna in this book that is a particular favorite of yours?

This is a really tough question! If I absolutely must choose, I think the scene with them in bed after the mating ceremony has a particular poignancy and power to it, showing us just how deeply they understand one another.

If you were to join the SnowDancer pack, what position in the hierarchy do you think you’d fill, and what skills do you have that would most benefit them as a whole?

Hmm. I’d probably end up Dalton the Librarian’s assistant. I would continue to be a storyteller, but the tales I’d tell would be those of the pack, and as Dalton would say – the past informs our future, so it’s important for the pack to never forget their history.

Let’s say there is a supernatural Guild Hunter/Psy-Changeling wife swap and Sienna spends a week learning Raphael’s world while Elena spends a week learning Hawke’s. What’s one trait each male would say they most admire in the other man's mate after spending time with them?

Though they are very different women, I think it may well be the same trait that would strike both Raphael and Hawke about each other’s mates: an internal strength that means the two women never give up, even when the odds seem insurmountable.

They are both women a man can rely on to walk by his side, no matter the obstacle in front of them. And that of course, speaks to another trait they share—their bone-deep loyalty to those they love.

The Psy-Changeling world is extraordinarily complex, and while each book focuses on mainly one couple, there are always multiple storylines playing out side by side. How do you keep track of all character and world intricacies you’ve created?

I do have a series bible with all kinds of notes in it, but each world exists as a whole in my head – and it’s such a visual creation that I feel as if I step into the particular world with each book, able to see the myriad story threads.

Is there any one aspect of Adria and Riaz’s relationship that surprised you while you were writing? Something that wasn’t necessarily planned?

I’m not a planner as such (not in terms of laying out a book from start to finish), so the evolution of every couple’s relationship is a surprise – Riaz and Adria were no different. I learned about them as they learned about one another.

Do you do anything in particular when you’ve finished a book for one series to help you get in the right mindset for the switch in world and characters before you start the next series?

I might take a few days break after I finish a story, watch DVDs of my favorite tv shows, catch up on some reading…but honestly, I’m usually itching to get back to the world I haven’t been in for a few months.

If you could take one of your characters on a book tour with you, who do you think would keep you and the fans entertained the most?

Can I pick one from each series?

For the Guild Hunter series, I think Illium would be the hands-down fan favorite. Not only does he like humans, he’s both fun and charming.

For the Psy/Changeling series, I think Drew would be great company—like Illium, he’s witty and intelligent, and also playful.

(And sneaking in one more…) I also think Brenna would be great fun to tour with—she’s so smart with technology that she’d be on top of everything, and she has a friendly personality that means she could strike up a conversation with just about anyone. Also, she could dish about Judd. ;-)

Okay, I’ll force myself to stop there…though I could keep going and going and going…

The last time you were here I asked you this question:

If Hawke were to describe Sienna with a single word the moment he saw her upon her defection from the PsyNet, what would that word be? If he had to describe her now?

And you answered:

I think now and then, he would always call her strong. But now that he knows all the facets of her personality, he’s likely to use words like compelling and intriguing, too,…as well as one other that I’ll tell you after Kiss of Snow releases.

Can we have that last missing word now? :-)


Mine. :-)

*Jenny can no longer run this blog because she has died of an overdose of love (and also lust) for Hawke*

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions Nalini! More information on Nalini, the Psy-Changeling series and the Guild Hunter series can be found here:

Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon

TANGLE OF NEED (from Goodreads)

Adria, wolf changeling and resilient soldier, has made a break with the past--one as unpredictable in love as it was in war. Now comes a new territory, and a devastating new complication: Riaz, a SnowDancer lieutenant already sworn to a desperate woman who belongs to another.

For Riaz, the primal attraction he feels for Adria is a staggering betrayal. For Adria, his dangerous lone-wolf appeal is beyond sexual. It consumes her. It terrifies her. It threatens to undermine everything she has built of her new life. But fighting their wild compulsion toward one another proves a losing battle.

Their coming together is an inferno...and a melding of two wounded souls who promise each other no commitment, no ties, no bonds. Only pleasure. Too late, they realize that they have more to lose than they ever imagined. Drawn into a cataclysmic Psy war that may alter the fate of the world itself, they must make a decision that might just break them both.

22 comments:

  1. A basic question - what's the difference btw the psy-changeling and guild hunter series?

    Trying to get back into the commenting mojo after BEA. I got home yesterday at 2. I was so tired! I went to bed at 8:30 and slept till 6 AM. But I loved BEA and NY. I'd love to go next year if I don't have other things going on. And it was so great meeting you and Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I can imagine how awesome it was to do this interview!!! Shame on me, I still haven't had a chance to read these books yet - but I know if you love them, I will too! Oh and now... I kinda have to meet Hawke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL a series bible -- I love it! x) I sort of keep one for my book too, except it's mostly just a word document with a whole bunch of quirks to remember. There really is a lot when you're writing a book, even if you don't think there would be! And I LOVED that revisiting question -- I want to meet Hawke! :')

    Adored this interview, Jenny! I can totally tell you love this series -- it's contagious! x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fab interview Jenny! I remember last time you posted your review I said that I need to pick up one of Nalini's books I still haven't yet! :( I promise I will do asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine *swoon*!

    I love Nalini--she is so adorable. You just want to sit down and have tea with her. Great Interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison - The psy-changeling world focuses on shifters and a race of people called the psy, and the Guild Hunter series is Angels/Vampires. Boiling it down to that doesn't do either series justice though, as they're infinitely complex worlds the both of them:) Glad you had a fantastic time at BEA!

    Danny - You must read her Danny! She's amazing:)

    Mimi - I do love her books, I can't get enough of them. And Hawke? *dies*

    Jasprit - DO IT!!!! You won't be disappointed:)

    Felicia - Right? I may have started drooling when I read that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love learning about one of your favorite authors Jenny! Fantastic questions choices! "Mine" is one of the most romantic and best answers!
    I love all the questions and answers! I will definitely check out Nalini Singh stories!

    Also- Thank you so much for adding my blog to your blog roll Jenny! I really appreciate you doing that! I enjoy reading your unforgettable blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BAHAHAHAHA- oh no Jenny...maybe this Hawke man can come give you CPR?????

    I think I must meet this guy....geez!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear, you do the absolute best interviews--I always look forward to them. And one with Nalini Singh? *dies* Nalini is so fabulawesome (why yes, I did just make a new word, just for Nalini). I'm amazed that she can carry her worlds around in her head as she writes them. I'd love to get a peek at her series bible, though, just to see her organizational process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandi - Thanks!

    Rachel - I absolutely adore her. I don't know if you are a fan of adult paranormal romance, but if you are, I can't recommend her enough. I pounce on anything she comes out with:)

    Tina - That would be glorious! *pretends to be dead*

    Mary - Thank you! And I love your Nalini-specific word, I shall use it from now on:) I'd love a peek at that bible too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny-
    Fabulous interview as always!!! Bet it was amazing for you! You got me hooked on the Guild Hunter series! I'm only on the second one, but the title of that one up there has me a little worried. I must read faster! I love this series, it is not something I'll ever be able to review on my blog but zowie, it sizzles!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't even read one of Hawke's books and I'm already madly in love with him because your love for him is so infectious! I promise I will one day. I did get a start on the Guild Hunter series, and I love the newest cover. I kind of want to lick it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What Jenny is not running the blog anymore because of the word Mine? I must know this Hawke. I am waiting for you to host that read along of this series so I won't have anymore excuses. I want you to meet Charley and you want me to meet Hawke and the gang! Fair trade! Please come back...don't leave us...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather - YESSSS:) I love that you're hooked on the Guild Hunter series, Raphael is so delicious:)

    Missie - RIGHT?! My love for him is intense, I can't help it. I just love that it took 10 books for him and Sienna to finally get together, it made me love them all the more. Also, I did lick that cover. Just saying.

    Heidi - I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! The word "mine" makes me melt in the context of the two of them because it took him so very long to love her the way she wanted him to. I die just thinking about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol, well I would do from an overdose of love for Hawke too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I has a Hawke??? I so need to read this series. One after another until I die with Jenny. Yessss... I shall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I say this every time but i so need to read these book. Gosh I do! Loved the interview. You always ask the right questions to get me hooked on the book. And I haven't even read it yet!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESOME interview. I luvs Nalini's Guild Hunter's series. I just forehead smack myself for not reading the Psychangeling series... yet ;) I think I was intimidated by the length of the series so far... but... forehead smack again... that's just more to enjoy!

    You lucky girl you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. "*Jenny can no longer run this blog because she has died of an overdose of love (and also lust) for Hawke*" Ha ha, oh Jenny!

    It always amazes me how authors can write multiple series at the same time. I have enough trouble remembering what's going on in real life! Actually, I'm always the last one to find out things since I live in my own little bubble :) If I ever started writing, I might just mix up my life with my characters'. At least then my life would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bluebell is MINE! That is all. *Sticks fingers in ears* Can't hear you..lalala ;)

    I love Singh's writing and her books. They always leave me smiling and with a contented sigh when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete