Friday, June 22, 2012

Review: Shine

SHINE (Shade #3)
Jeri Smith-Ready
Paranormal Young Adult
416 pages
Simon Pulse
Available Now
Received from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.


MY THOUGHTS
The Shade series is one that elicits from us a strong emotional reaction, ripping our hearts out almost immediately with Logan’s tragic death and then alternately stitching it back together and ripping it open again as Aura deals with his status as a ghost as well as the arrival of Zachary and her subsequent feelings for him. Due to the absence of both Logan and Zachary at the beginning of Shine, our emotional investment in this third and final installment isn’t quite as strong initially, and we’re a left with an unexpected loneliness that has us frantically turning the pages in search of our beloved Scotsman. Once we’re assured of his presence, no matter the physical distance remaining between him and Aura, we’re able to settle in and direct all our considerable focus into reviewing the possibilities of how things are going to work out for the last of the pre-Shifters and the first of the post-Shifters.

Aura is and has always been a thoroughly enjoyable heroine, a young woman with an astounding resiliency who copes with one painful punch to the gut after the next as her life spirals out of control in the wake of Logan’s death. As mentioned above, there is a sense of emptiness in the opening chapters and for most of the first third of the book when Zachary is notably absent, however, while we feel her acute need for him, it never once crosses the line into obsession nor does she deteriorate in mental strength without him there to support her. She wants to be with him, she loves him, and she desires his safety above all else, but she also is beyond strong on her own, making plans and taking action until she lays eyes on him again.

Though Logan has finally passed on prior to the start of this last book, Ms. Smith-Ready does a beautiful job of threading Logan’s presence subtly throughout, never allowing us to forget him but also gloriously granting many a reader’s wish – to see Aura and Zachary’s relationship become the sole romantic element throughout. We feel Logan in this story, but the poignancy of Aura and Zachary’s love is finally given the full spotlight, and we can’t help but smile every time we see their names appear side by side on the page. Their relationship is not all sweetness and light though, as they face a myriad of challenges and seemingly omniscient foes at the hands of which death would be a mercy not likely granted.

Overall, Shine wraps up Aura’s story impressively despite a slightly slow beginning, answering all our questions about the Shift itself, Zach and Aura’s respective roles in it, and the future of the ghost-seeing world. Fans of the series will no-doubt delight in the romance and find themselves with brows creased in concentration as the mystery of the Shift unfolds—smiling, grimacing, cheering, and possibly tearing up as we walk the final leg of these cherished characters’ journey.

Rating: 4/5

33 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this one. Then again, I was team Zach from the very beginning, so of course I would be all for this one! Love the review, Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see when a series comes to an end and when it's a satisfying ending and Shine looks like this! And ..you mention the romance??? So , Jenny dearest - do you think that now that all books are out I should go and read this series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad that I didn't like the first book in the series. I seem to be the only one.

    It is odd at Logan and Zach are absent at the first. That's unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another series I need to get to asap! I'm glad you had fun reading this and it was wrapped up nicely! Lovely review Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely perfect review, Jenny! I completely agree with you about everything. The start did feel a little empty to me too without either of the boys, but I did love the way Jeri Smith-Ready ensured Logan wasn't just forgotten about. It was so lovely to see Zach and Aura finally getting the spotlight though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review reminds me that I need to read this book. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series and have been meaning to pick up this book to see how it will all end. Hopefully i can get to it this summer. I am a bit nervous to see how it all wraps up, but I'm glad you gave it 4 out of 5 stars....definitely make me feel better. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashelynn - I loved it too, Zachary just makes me happy:)

    Danny - Love the romance, it was a rough journey, but things ended the way I would have hoped:)

    Alison - I'm sure you're not the only one! There were reasons Logan and Zach were absent, I just so badly wanted Aura and Zach together that the beginning took me a while to get into.

    Jasprit - I hope you get a chance to read these books, I really enjoyed them!

    Sam - Yes! I was desperate to get to the page where Aura and Zach were together, so the beginning was a touch rocky for me, but overall such a great ending I thought:)

    Amanda - Yay:):):)

    Christina - I was really pleased with how everything was handled, I think you'll be happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will read this one because I have read the first two. I had to verify with someone that she ended up with who I thought she did first LOL You know me, I need to know or I just won't read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess maybe I should read this series....wow your review kinda made me want to cry.....:( (in a good way) and I love a great HEA ending!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, Jenny, what a beautiful review!! I've been looking forward to this book ever since last year, but still haven't managed to get my own copy yet -- which I'm planning on changing soon! I'm a little heartbroken that Logan actually passed on because I loved him and his rocker ways best, but I'm glad he wasn't pushed aside. We need closure, and it's amazing that Jeri gives it to us! :)

    Amazing review, Jenny! I think it's ten pounds off my shoulders knowing that this wraps up nicely -- doubly excited now! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm picking this one up at the library today and can't wait to read it! I'm sad that Zach isn't as present but happy that shes strong enough to be on her own and that she doesn't turn into a nutcase from missing him. Glad to hear it was pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Felicia - I think we are the same person:)

    Tina - This series definitely did make me cry, and I just adored it:)

    Mimi - Yay! Can't wait to see what you think and read your adorably enthusiastic review. I hope you like it as much as I did!

    Candace - WOO HOO!!! You'll be happy with Zach's presence once get through the first third, I promise:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this series is hit or miss with people, but you are obviously a fan, sounds like this was a solid and enjoyable conclusion that managed to elidit a whole host of emotions. For some reason I still like the original cover designs with the sexy shoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and to answer your question, yes I have read all of the Cat and Bones books except the last once which I intend to read soon. I love the depcition of Vlad and can't wait to read that one as well!

      Delete
    2. YEAH!!!! Vlad and Ian are my absolute favorites, they just crack me up:) We can compare notes on Vlad when we both get to him!

      Delete
  15. You're so right--Aura is an amazing and incredibly resilient character who I just wanted to have a HEA. I loved how this series wrapped up and how most all of my questions were answered. Really, a great romance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought the first book was pretty good, but I've heard from others that it gets better with each book. I'm still curious about the Shift and I like that the reader and the characters both don't know what's going on at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't started this series yet! I have Shade on my shelf, but it hasn't been touched. I should probably read it soon since everyone seems to love it! <3 I'm glad this book didn't disappoint. It sounds like a wonderful conclusion to an amazing series. Fantastic review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary - A great romance for sure, loved it:)

    Rummanah - I do think they get better as they go, at the very least I was more involved with each book, so by the last one I was an emotional mess:)

    Sophia - It was a great conclusion, I was really happy with how everything turned out and it made the fact that the series was over less of a blow:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It took me a while to remember the series..I should just have looked at the author name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been told by more than one person to read this series. I haven't yet, but it looks like I really should. I like the sound of the romance and the fact that it unfolds in the way that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  21. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE JENNY!!!! I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES but I haven't read Shine! :'( I am Team Zachary all the way! I loved Logan but Zachary + Aura belongs together! ;)

    Awesome review, Jenny! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was glad that Logan was gone from this book instead of having his storyline dragged out to the point of being unbearable. I am a big fan of Zach so to get to focus on his and Aura's love story was sweet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haven't read this series as of yet but heard nothing but great things about it.I guess I will add it to my already LONG TBR list :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing review!!! I have heard nothing but good about this series but I STILL need to try it! I am so glad to hear Aura is an engaging protagonist! Thank you so much for the honest review Jenny! I really appreciate it!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've a bit nervous to read this one, but it sounds like I'm missing out. Glad that Aura still manages to be a strong character in this one.

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dang, I've been seeing reviews for this book all week, but I've just been skimming them because I have yet to start this series. But I do have to admit that I'm already in love with Zach. It must have something to do with the kilt. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. AHHHHHHH! I just got this book and I am so excited to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have this on my shelf, just waiting for me to start it. Your review is the second one I've read for it today, and now I want to read it even more! I'm really looking forward to it. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read the first book in this one but didn't really like it so I didn't continue on with the series but it's nice that everything is wrapped up nicely and that in the end, there's no love triangle.

    Sorry, I've been late with the comments these days. I've had midterms, am working a lot and am in a bit of a reviewing slump :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jenny-
    Ditto! We basically said the same thing. I just wish I could have been there to hold Zach!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am ashamed to admit it... It has been soooo long since I last read Shift that I can't remember this: Though Logan has finally passed on prior to the start of this last book

    I mean, that is a PRETTY pivotal point to forget! Looks like I am going to have to reread that before I get to this! ;)

    ReplyDelete