Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review: One Moment

Kristina McBride
Contemporary Young Adult
272 pages
EgmontUSA
Available June 26th
Received through Teen Book Scene for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?


MY THOUGHTS
Based on the synopsis it’s not hard to predict the type of story One Moment will be, nor is it difficult to deduce Joey’s secrets long before Maggie figures them out, however, the overall predictability does not detract even the slightest from the rawness of Maggie’s pain as we're drawn into her sudden devastation with sure fingers wrapped around our hearts in an unrelenting grip. Joey’s death is just the beginning for Maggie, and though we can clearly guess what’s coming for her, the tension is almost greater as a result of our enlightenment when she remains so stubbornly in the dark, Joey’s secrets weighing on us as much as they do those around her who have knowledge of them. Each chapter eats at us, the tiny black letters on the pages morphing into predatory entities ravaging us mentally and emotionally until we’re laid wide open and feeling just as vulnerable as our protagonist.

Maggie is a fairly uncomplicated young woman, presenting us with little challenge in trying to read between her lines or analyze her every thought and action as we search for a darkness or extra layer that just isn’t there. She’s by no means a flat character, instead she seems so genuine from the very beginning that it’s beyond easy to project ourselves onto her, sliding seamlessly into her position as her entire foundation crumbles and she slowly but surely sifts through the pieces to build again with stronger materials. While her friends at times call her selfish for being so introverted after Joey’s death–seeming not to notice or acknowledge the pain of those around her–we as readers have a difficult time agreeing with that label, our time spent in Maggie’s head showing us clearly the chaos her mind is trying to manage and how strong her love for her friends is even when those friends are being less than honest with her.

When the truth finally comes out in its entirety and Maggie’s memories are restored to her in gut-wrenching detail, our respect for her grows exponentially as she shoulders the weight of the revelations when others would surely collapse under the strain. She cries, she yells, and she gets justifiably angry, and through it all we whisper in her ear words of encouragement to assure her she’s right in her feelings, a reassurance more for ourselves than for her given our hurt cuts as deep and our anger burns as bright despite our distance as readers from the events. We may technically be observers in this tale, but our hearts are as tangled in the mess Joey left behind as Maggie's is, and we read on wishing, however hopelessly, that she had the opportunity to get the answers from him she so rightfully deserves.

Overall One Moment is a tragic and painful story, but through it all we have a young woman in Maggie who opens her eyes wide after having them shuttered for so very long, and walking beside her as she copes with not only the loss of Joey himself, but also the loss of the love and trust that shattered on the rocks along with him, brings a smile to our faces despite our agony.

Rating: 4/5

33 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwww - my heart is breaking ... I like tragic and I love painful, as long as there is something happy coming along the way. Oh hon, this review is again so beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm impressed that you liked this book so much even though it seems like a trite and overplayed theme. it must be well written. I'm curious for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super review Jenny.......I just read this over the weekend and I liked it, but I thought the ending was a tad contrived. Ill tell you what though I felt bad about really detesting Joey in the end, especially since he was the dead character......:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Jenny! This one sounds serious and heartbreaking....not sure if I want to read it this summer...maybe this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mt goodness. *plays the smallest violin in the world* Hear my heart crack! Memory loss stories, if done right, can really get to me -- and it sounds like Kristina McBride does an amazing job! I can already feel myself connecting with Maggie and wanting to protect her. I don't think it's fair for her friends to condemn her when she just lost her boyfriend and she can't remember!

    Beautiful review, Jenny! <3 Only six more days until I can read this -- counting down the days! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny - Thank you! I really enjoyed this one, even though I knew exactly what was going to happen:)

    Alison - It's definitely been seen before, but I loved it anyway. I was in the right mood for it and it made my heart hurt:)

    Tina - I think a lot of people are going to feel that way, the whole premise has been done, but for some reason everything still just really worked for me:) I sort of felt bade hating Joey too, but I was so angry at him on Maggie's behalf.

    Christina - It was! Definitely one you have to be in the right mood for, not a light and summery read:)

    Mimi - Although there was nothing really standout about Maggie, I still really liked her, and I wanted to throttle her friends for being so critical of how she was dealing with everything. I thought it was a great read:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memory loss when done right can be the most compelling stories ever. There is loss from all sides and sometimes you just never know the outcome. I saw a 20/20 once where the mom never remembered her kids and had to re-learn to love them. Heartbreaking!

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I"m a little nervous to read this one--I'm not usually so good with tragic and sad. But the characters sound intriguing, as does the plot. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't too sure about the plot but it sounds like it is executed well! I'm glad you were able to appreciate Maggie. Another convincing review, Jenny! I may have just changed my mind about this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felicia - Wow. I can't even imagine something like that. I'm reading another one with memory loss right now - Pushing the Limits - and I'm adoring it. I'm a sucker for memory loss apparently:)

    Mary - It's a really quick read, but I don't think you can be craving a light, fun read when you pick it up!

    Sam - Oh yay! I'm glad I made you maybe reconsider. I really, really liked it despite a not completely original plot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH...JENNY...I just read Pushing the Limits too....it was SOOOO GOOD!!! :D

      Delete
  11. I love the way you described the words like a predator! Sounds like a sad but amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one I added to my list after seeing another review and your review just confirms that it sounds like a must-read. Maggie sounds like a character I would really like. Great review Jenny, it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a horrible thing to live through..and what does she not remember? Intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure this one is for me or maybe it's just that I think I'd have to be in a certain mood for it. Maybe it's because I'm reading a book about memory loss right now, and it's kind of like a 'this is too much' thing. This is not to say I don't like emotionally charged stories, I do, but breaks are definitely needed in between.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rachel - I thought it was both of those things:)

    Candace - I did like her. She was nothing remarkable, but somehow that's what really drew me to her:)

    Linda - She doesn't remember his death or what happened just before it:(

    Missie - It's a mood read for sure. And I get the same way - I read too many of the same type of story and I get burnt out so I need to take a break and switch gears before going back:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds so emotional, Jenny. I haven't read this one but did read McBride's The Tension of Opposites which I really liked. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um... don't think this one is for me. I like my books a bit lighter. Okay, sometimes I don't mind the shattered darkness, but ep! This one sounds like I'd be on a emotional rollercoaster with the heroine. Still, I like the sound of her. If I read this and become emotional, I'm crying... no sobbing on your shoulder! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great review, Jenny. I'm so curious about this one and read about every review that comes across my screen and yours is definitely one of the better reviews I've read. When I need to read a heart-breaking book, I now know which one to pick up! thanks. :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenny why do you have to write such great reviews. I wasn't going to read this one! I can read all kinds of issue books, but when it comes to dying, nope don't want to read it. But then you go an write a review like this and it's like "Crap, I have to read it now because Jenny went and wrote a review like that and if it's that good I'll be kicking myself for not reading it." So, I guess I'm gonna read it. And cry. A lot. Wish I lived closer, I'd make you sit there while I did it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read several reviews on this one and it sounds like a powerful read and I don't think I would like Joey very much. I am glad it was a good solid emptional read for you, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only read so-so reviews of this one, but your fabulous reviews made me pause and reconsider reading this one even though the theme is a bit overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen this book around lately. I like the cover because of its simplicity. This book sounds heavy with emotion. I love relatable characters, so Maggie seems like a protagonist that I'd enjoy. I definitely think I have to be in the right mood for a book like this to enjoy it to the fullest. Wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, such an eloquently written review, Jenny. I'm currently reading this one too and am sharing similar thoughts with you. :) Though I'm only about 70 pages in, the main character is remarkably nuanced and intricate; the book itself so compelling and emotional. Again- brilliant, brilliant review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have this on my TBR shelf, Jenny--thanks for the thoughtful review. I'm all for a genuine main character.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw, as much as it hurts to read these kind of books where you can really feel the raw emotion and really empathize with the pain of the MC even when it's not happening to you, these are the ones that really stick with you. I can still remember the hurt I felt upon reading certain books in which the pain was palpable years after I had read them. It can be a little hard to take, but very rewarding as well. Thank you for the beautiful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenny, this book brought out so much raw emotions in me. You don't know how many times I wanted to smack that "best friend." When it was all revealed I really wanted to smack her smug look off her face! Seriously, I was POed. UGH! But love the book. Nice review Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've intrigued me. I think I'll have to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been kind of worried about the predictability of this one, but other than that, it sounds like this is a pretty good read!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm supposed to read this next. Your review makes me excited to read it. I don't know why I thought there was romance in it. I hope there's some. I can wait to unravel the mystery behind the accident and Joey's death. Excellent review, Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. GREAT review! I'm definitely looking forward to reading this very very soon...I can't wait to read Maggie's story!!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jenny, this is such a gorgeous review! You've made me really eager to read this! I quite enjoy books that deal with tragedy and I think I'd really like this one! Maggie sounds like a decent character and I think I'd be able to warm to her quickly and the memory loss aspect seems unique so I must check this one out soon!

    Thanks again for the lovely review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This sounds like a fabulous read! I like that the MC is genuine and easily believable. I'm a sucker for heartbreaking books and this one seems right up my alley. Absolutely loved the review Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete