Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: House of Ivy & Sorrow

HOUSE OF IVY & SORROW
Natalie Whipple
Paranormal Young Adult
352 pages
HarperTeen
Available April 15th
Source: eARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Josephine Hemlock has spent the last 10 years hiding from the Curse that killed her mother. But when a mysterious man arrives at her ivy-covered, magic-fortified home, it’s clear her mother’s killer has finally come to destroy the rest of the Hemlock bloodline. Before Jo can even think about fighting back, she must figure out who she’s fighting in the first place. The more truth Jo uncovers, the deeper she falls into witchcraft darker than she ever imagined. Trapped and running out of time, she begins to wonder if the very Curse that killed her mother is the only way to save everyone she loves.

MY THOUGHTS
With a title like House of Ivy & Sorrow and a synopsis that speaks of curses and witchcraft, we fully expect a dark tale when we crack the spine, but though there are undoubtedly dark undertones and painful moments, the overall tone is perhaps a bit lighter than anticipated. The fact that the story itself defies expectation and goes in a slightly different direction isn’t necessarily worthy of complaint, it just takes us a little additional time to adjust and get on board with a protagonist who reads a touch younger than the themes intimated in the synopsis suggest.

Josephine is a fun heroine to follow through this story, keeping the aforementioned darkness surprisingly at bay as she crushes on a young man from a neighboring farm and continually tries to deter her hilarious Nana from spelling him with any number of unfortunate physical ailments for touching or talking to her. Her relationship with her grandmother is a highlight, the two of them sharing a bond that seeps through the pages and warms our hearts, eternally grateful to see a positive familial relationship detailed so beautifully in a genre typically void of parental involvement.

Where we start to stumble just a bit in this story is when Jo’s youth really begins to show, her sometimes irrational anger at people keeping secrets from her coming across to us as largely hypocritical given the number of things she’s keeping from one of her friends and her boyfriend. She’s also quick to jump to conclusions before she has all the information at hand, and instead of standing her ground and demanding the pieces she’s missing from those who can provide them, she runs away to lick her perceived wounds with nary an explanation to those left behind clueless and hurt at her abrupt departure. She does always see the error of her ways and seek to make amends, but the repair of whatever rift she’s caused (and she causes several) seems to happen quickly and easily, leaving us standing in shallow waters when we want nothing more than to dive headfirst into the deep end of her various friendships and relationships.

Though Jo has moments where she frustrates us with her behavior, the witchcraft element of this story is strong and fascinating, the concept of light and dark magic erased completely and replaced with only dark magic and the question of a witch’s control over it. Those who are able to stay in control can wield it for purposes that help rather than harm, but those who allow the magic to control them find themselves consumed. Overall, The House of Ivy & Sorrow has both highlights and lowlights, the equal ratio of the two making for an entertaining if not hugely memorable read.

Rating: 3.5/5



Find Natalie:


This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

26 comments:

  1. ah yes I think I would have wanted to shake Jo at times, I think I would have been annoyed more than once. But it also sounds like a nice book and I just love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is me wanting to shake a character good...eh, not if it's a main one, well sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would end up highly frustrated with some of Jo's actions in this book, but I'm glad that she does make up for her rash decisions quite quickly. Its been such a long time since I've read a book dealing with witchcraft, but I'm glad that this story was able to leave a great impression with you! Lovely review Jenny! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. "She’s also quick to jump to conclusions before she has all the information at hand."

    Ungh. I'm not saying that that statement is the sole reason I'm probably going to pass on this book, but if I highlighted everything in your review that made me shudder and/or groan, it could get ridiculous. Suffice it to say that Jo does not (even a little bit) sound like an MC I could appreciate, let alone like.

    Wonderful review, Jenny!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard this so many times that it's not really dark. It's perhaps dark-ish, but not dark. Also, the um.. young-ish perspective on things was a turn off as well for some people. I'm glad that you enjoyed the family relationship and as a whole this book was more success than failure. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I decided to not read this book because so many reviewers didn't enjoy it, but it seems like I might be missing out a little.
    I already like the sound of Jo's bond with her grandmother. I love it when family is a main theme in YA books, so I would definitely appreciate their relationship. What I'm not sure about though is Jo. From your description of her, she doesn't seem like the easiest character to like and I can tell that I would be frustrated with her.
    Still, I'm glad you liked this overall, Jenny.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the warning about it not being quite as dark as anticipated and the heroine having a younger voice. Hopefully if I start this one with those things in mind I will be able to enjoy it more.

    Lovely review as always Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Not as dark? Annoying character behavior? I think I'd have to pass. Shame, though, because it sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back! I'm so glad you mentioned that this one was lighter than you expected, Jenny. I know I was expecting this to be a darker read so it's nice to be forewarned. Although the MC sounds a little annoying, I'm going to save this as a possible read for when I'm bored since I'm familiar with Whipple's writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually expected this to be much darker and heavier than you mentioned, so I'm really glad that you told me that. I'm not sure it's the type of book I'll fall madly in love with because of character issues and such, but I'm hoping to read it anyway someday. Lovely thoughts, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jo really felt young to me, and where things could have been dark and gritty they were light. I am glad you enjoyed this one more than I did.I think it would be better for MG audience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to read a super positive review for this one. Though I know I would like the witchcraft stuff, I think it has too many things that wouldn't work for me, and after my last witch read (The Midnight Witch) I am not overly eager to pick up another one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read a few reviews that mention this is not as dark a read as it would first seem, but that it is an overall enjoyable read. Especially if you go into it knowing Josephine seems more Mg than YA character. I love the sound of Nana and the magic though. This might be fun to read with my youngest daughter. Wonderful & helpful review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this one in my tbr pile and not sure whether to read it or now. I think some things might bother me but I still want to read it. It interests me. Thanks for the honest and as always, lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like Jo was written well, even though I can imagine I'd get frustrated with her hypocrisy and immature behaviors (though she *should* have those, as she is, well, young). I'll read this one soon...soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you. I was also frustrated with her some times. I also thought that the dialogue with the friends were a bit more juvenile than I thought it should be... or maybe I'm now just old. Hey! Get off my lawn! ;) Still was enjoyable. Btw, JINX! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was kind of surprised at Jo's youthful personality in comparison to the story at hand. Still, I really loved her relationship with her Nana (and the magic was disturbingly fascinating)!

    Great honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm quite glad to hear you're giving this one 3.5 stars, Jenny! I preordered it and after some reviews I was a bit concerned about it!
    I'll go into it expecting a lighter read and hopefully I'll manage to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the sounds of the family relationship being a good one. I think more of that needs to be put into books because sometimes I get tired of the tragic pasts.

    I'm surprised to hear its on the lighter side though instead of dark like I thought it would be. Guess I'll find out =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was so excited about this! But my interest has begun to wane in the wake of underwhelming reviews. I agree that this sounded dark and delicious, and while I like an amusing heroine and a great family bond, I'm getting tired of reading about younger YA characters that make silly mistakes that drive the plot. I'm not sure whether I'll pick this up now, but I really appreciate your thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm, I was hoping for a little more than that from this book. I was looking for something gothic and romantic and haunting. I am glad you told me it was lighter in tone. I hate going into a book thinking it will be one way and finding it completely different. I can almost never like the book.

    Not sure I can like the MC. But Nana sounds like a hoot! Great review Jenny! Thanks for reviewing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, a lot of people seem to have the same issues with this book. I haven't read it, but I'm thinking I'm not going to. I thought it was a darker read, so the fact that it isn't is a bit disappointing. Wonderful review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  23. While I do love reading about witches, I keep hearing that this is aimed at a younger audience and lacks the darkness and gravity I was expecting. I think I might be rather disappointed in it, but I'm still curious enough to give it a few chapters. Lovely review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard this one is lighter and easier than it looks and sounds. I've heard mixed things but I'm kind of thinking I might give it a try. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed reading your review about this book, but don't know if I'd ever get around to it. I find it interesting when a book takes us to unexpected places and our perception of what a book may be about changes. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not. Sometimes, it's just something to adjust to.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to admit that I gave up on reading this one, I couldn't get into the story and it seemed too "childish" for my taste.
    Great review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete