Friday, December 11, 2015

Top 5 of 2015

Happy Friday Everyone!

Since December is flying by at record speed (seriously, I'm pretty sure Thanksgiving was yesterday?) I thought I'd go ahead and share my top 5 reads for 2015. When I searched through all my ratings for the year I discovered I only gave three books a 5/5 and only a handful more a 4.5/5. Apparently I was impressively stingy with my high ratings this year. Whoops. Below are the three titles that absolutely blew me away and left me no choice but to give them the highest rating possible, and two more that were outstanding and secured themselves a place on my shelf of favorites.



I want to live inside Leigh Bardugo's mind for an hour. I won't be selfish and demand more time than that, just an hour so I can see what it's like. I was initially wary of this book as I tend to struggle when I'm bounced around from person to person, but Leigh made every single character so intriguing and rich in personality that I was desperate for more time with each of them rather than less. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

Find Leigh


Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favorite fairy-tale, so I jump at the chance to devour every retelling I can find. This version I thought was particularly well done, especially the final third where court politics really come into play and Feyre has to prove what she's made of. Sarah J. Maas can be brutal to her readers though, tearing beloved characters down again and again before building them back up, so I'm mildly nervous about what the next book holds in store but have no doubt it will be worth it:)

Find Sarah:
 

Contemporary YA is not my go-to genre; those of you who read this blog with any frequency know I tend to gravitate toward the paranormal and fantasy, but I will forever read anything Emery Lord decides to write. Her characters always feel completely genuine and lacking in any unnecessary drama to cause me stress as I read. If you've yet to read any of her books, I hope at least one goes on your letter to Santa this year!

Find Emery:

WebsiteTwitterTumblrAmazon • B&NGoodreads



Kate and Curran. I feel like that's all that really needs to be said about this one.

Find Ilona:

WebsiteFacebookTwitterGoodreadsAmazon


THIS HEART OF MINE
 

This one would have passed me right on by if not for Candace inviting me to be a part of the tour, so THANK YOU CANDACE! I have a soft spot for stories where a character has been grievously wronged and continues to be so through a good chunk of the story because I can't wait for the moment when everyone realizes their error. Phoenix spent 17 years in prison for a crime she didn't commit, and when she gets out she continues to be a pariah in her small town. Despite that however, she shows no weakness or self-pity, and holds no ill-will toward those who are cruelest to her. Instead she holds her head up high for the sake of her son and her own self. LOVED it!

Find This Heart of Mine:

26 comments:

  1. I will not think of my list before Dec 30 the earliest. Many more books to come before that cos vacay!!! Haha. But yes I did take an early look ;) And it looked bad. Many great books. But truly great..hmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have only read the Ilona one! I can't imagine how you only managed to take 5 books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I have awarded ZERO books 5 stars this year! (Maybe I'm reading the wrong books?!) I did have a couple of 4.5 - but no ALL THE STARS! I enjoyed The Start of Me and You - but I liked her debut more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Start of Me and You is also one of my favorite books of the year. I am dying to read Court of Thorns and Roses...love Sarah J. Maas. Great list, Jenny! (I can't believe the year is almost over as well. I am in total denial!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these yet, but I'm excited to dive into them. Especially, Six of Crows. Just waiting on that one from the library. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to start thinking of my top 10's next week and it's gonna be tough for sure... I know I've given quite a few more 5 stars than just to 3 books... but at least one of them we have in commmon! Six of Crows was SO AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favorites of the year are also in your list, Jenny! LOOOVED Six of Crows and The Start of Me and You. I'm with you, I just want to live in Bardugo's brain! I can just imagine how vivid and crazy exciting it would be. I adored This Heart of Mine as well. It was such a surprising read. Phoenix was so fierce!
    I hope you'll have a ton of more exciting reads next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is it that I've only read one of these? Gah! I do have most of the others though so I need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo hoo! So glad to see This Heart of Mine on the list!
    I still need to read most of these but I think I'll love them just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geeze! Every single one of them is on my wishlist and I haven't gotten to them at all. I am SO far behind. Must read them ALL! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful top five. I have Six of Crows on audible and cannot wait to devour it Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I could get down to 30 favorites, much less 5! Well done! ACoTaR and Six of Crows are on my TBR. Loved the Kate Daniels one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED ACoTaR so much!!!! Also simply adored The Start of Me and You!!!! So much love for that book. I'm looking forward to getting back to Six of Crows asap!! Great top 5, girlie! Hope you enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh. I will have a hard time picking just 5 books this year! Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes!!! A court of thorns and roses was so good. I still need to read six of crows, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, I need to read some of these Jenny!! My biggest dilemma is if I should read (binge on) Leigh Bardugo's first series before I read Six of Crows... And, I so need to catch up on Ilona Andrews :)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I just started reading Emery Lord this year and I loved it. I really need to read TSOYAM though. That will be next year for sure, I'm looking forward to When We Collided a well. I must get on quick with Six of Crows and ACOTAR! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only one out of these that I've read is ACOTAR but I definitely agree with you 100% for that one Jenny! Such a stellar read ♥ I still need to read The Grisha Series (can you imagine) and the Kate Daniels series is on my tbr shelf as well^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've only read The Start of Me and You from this list and I loved it too. I'm hoping to read Six of Crows before the year ends.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read only two from your list, Magic Shifts and a Court of Thorns and Roses, which I enjoyed. I hope to read The Start of Me and You and Six of Crows either before the end of this month or in January.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've JUST posted our top 10 of 2015, and, uhm... Six of Crows and ACOTAR may have earned themselves some SHRIEKING IN CAPS LOCK, basically. Especially in my list.

    I haven't so much as heard of the other three, though, which... THANK YOU, WHOEVER INVENTED THE BLOG. I'm now stalking them on GR, adding them to TBR and looking forward to them entirely, entirely too much.

    - Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  22. The only one I've read is The Start of Me and You and really liked it. The rest are all coming up for me, so yay.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't read Novak's novel but ALL of these books definitely would make my lists, too. I'm adding Novak's to read this winter at once. Lovely list, Jenny--these were such fantastic books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Six of Crows and The Start of Me and You were favorites of mine this year too. Huge props to you for keeping your list down to five!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved ACOTAR too, and I’m looking forward to read Six of Crows. The Start of Me and You is on my tbr-list for a long time, hopefully I’ll be able to read it soon. I admit that I’ve seen This Heart of Mine around, but after reading mixed reviews, I haven’t picked it up. Your praises though make me want to rethink my decision. It was interesting to see your picks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete