Thursday, January 5, 2012

Character Interview: Hudson from Bittersweet


As part of the promotional tour through Teen Book Scene, I'm extremely excited today to welcome former figure skater and cupcake baker extraordinaire Hudson to the blog to answer a few questions! Hudson is the adorable and absolutely hilarious protagonist of Sarah Ockler's newest young adult release Bittersweet, and if you have yet to pick it up (it just released this week), please add it to your lists immediately! I adored Hudson and the entire cast of characters, and will certainly be buying a copy of this one so I can re-read it in the near future.

Is there one particular memory from your days as a competitive figure skater that stands out most for you as one that embodies everything you loved about the sport?

I have lots of great memories from the actual competitions–trophies and medals earned, new moves perfected, challenges set and overcome. But the memory that embodies everything I love about skating is the one I always go back to–my first time on the ice. I was really little and my dad surprised me with a pair of skates after I’d become obsessed with the winter Olympics. He took me out to this old pond in the country and pulled me around and around… I fell in love with the ice then. And even though things with my dad are strained now, and I’ve screwed up my competitive skating chances, I hold on to that memory. In competition, it’s easy to forget what we truly love about a sport, focusing instead on winning, on beating the other person, on earning that next medal or title. Whenever I start to feel that way now, I close my eyes and go back to that day on the old pond, the icy wind on my cheeks, the feel of my father’s hands warm around mine… that’s what ice skating is for me. That’s what I love.

When you literally crashed into Josh that day on the ice, what was the first thing that went through your mind when you realized who was on the ice with you?

Oh god. I totally smell like bacon. I hope Josh likes bacon. Oh god.

If you, your mom, and Bug all had one day off from working at the diner, what would you most like to do as a family?

That’s a tough one. Mom never takes days off, so if she did, our plans would have to be close to the diner in case of an emergency. Honestly, we’d probably end up eating at the diner. Or building a snowman in the parking lot of the diner. Good times! Okay, I kind of love snowmen, so that part would be kind of cool.

What is the most interesting tidbit or piece of trivia you learned about hockey during all your web research to help the boys?

That the father of modern ice hockey, James Creighton, was also a figure skating judge. And also that you really can’t get tired of watching hockey boy training videos. ;-)

What’s the strangest combination of cupcake flavors you’ve come up with that has been a surprising success? A surprising failure?

Success: Thanksgiving Dinner Cupcake, featuring a vanilla cupcake with roast turkey and sweet potato filling and a brown sugar and marshmallow cream frosting. Everyone loved the hominess and the way the sweet and savory flavors combined.

Failure: Black Melon Cupcakes, which were about as appealing as they sound. I don’t know–I was experimenting! I guess I thought if I picked too awful flavors, they’d combine into something delish. That whole 2 wrongs make a right thing. Blech!

Can you give us the name of a cupcake that would summarize your feelings on life before you started skating again and working with the hockey team? The name of a cupcake that summarizes your thoughts on your future after all that’s happened?

Before: Bursting at the Seams: White cupcake stuffed with cherries, white and dark chocolate chunks, almonds, and coconut, topped with whipped cherry buttercream frosting and drizzled with fudge.

Future: Golden Possibilities: Golden vanilla cupcakes topped with banana cream cheese frosting, chopped pineapple, glittery brown sugar, and a cherry on top.

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by Hudson! More information on Hudson, Bittersweet, and Sarah can be found here:

Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads


BITTERSWEET (from Goodreads)

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances… a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life…and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last…

27 comments:

  1. I loved that line about smelling like bacon and yummy cupcakes looks like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! And I'm loving the before and after cupcakes. Where can I get the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black melon cupcakes reminds me of a story. My husband's best buddy in high school is a really funny guy but can also be kind of a jerk. He was trying to get rid of this girl who really liked him, so he told her that if she wanted to do something for him she could bake him a Guava Cake - knowing that there were no guava in 1990 Utah. Lo and behold, the girl was resourceful and baked him a guava cake somehow. It's a much funnier story when my husband tells it...but that's what I thought of :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love character interviews! They always make me want to read the book :)

    I did not know that about modern hockey---though it makes total sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi - Hudson is too funny, I just loved her. And the fact that she was worried about smelling like bacon. I think most guys wouldn't mind that ;-)

    Alyssa - Right? I want to eat all of those cupcakes. Except for the melon ones maybe since those were a fail:)

    Alison - So what happened? Did he stay with her? Poor girl and her guava cake:(

    Felicia - I do too, they're so much fun! And I know YA isn't your thing, but this was a really quick and entertaining read, loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the reading her descriptions of the cupcakes in the last question has me hungry! I'm really liking the sound of this book and I look forward to reading your review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be craving cupcakes after reading this one. Black Melon Cupcakes and Thanksgiving Dinner Cupcakes don't really sound appealing (I don't like marshmallows or want meat and potatoes in my cupcakes) but Bursting at the Seams and Golden Possibilities sound delicious. I've been craving cupcakes for ages so this post didn't help :P If only I knew how to bake ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I love Hudson's reaction to having Josh on the ice. Hilarious! Hudson sounds like such a fun character! I can't wait to read more about her in Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rummanah - I know, I'm really craving cupcakes. Wait until you read the book, I kept wanting to getup and go to the store to buy some:)

    Zahida - I kind of want to try the Thanksgiving ones, just to see what they taste like:) Normally I'm not a savory-with-my-sweet type of person, but I'm all curious now:)

    Lauren - She's adorable. I absolutely loved her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, I truly want those cupcakes...ok I want any cupcake now really

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it bad that I scanned this post and immediatly went to the line with word BACON in it? BAAAAACOOOON! Huds, you can bump into me anytime, but just have some actual bacon on you. Kay? Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hockey Boy Training Videos? Tell me more!!!

    And a Thanksgiving Dinner Cupcake sounds surprisingly delicious. I'd like to order a dozen, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only has this interview made me even more anxious to get my copy (why can't Amazon ship faster? Don't they know I need this book?), it has also made me want a cupcake...Ha, and I love Hudson's answer for Question #2!

    Love your questions, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol, love the bacon remark

    Also yummmm to the cupcakes. They totally made me hungry when I was reading the book as well. I'm a good baker, but I wish I was creative enough to experiment like that with cupcakes. Every time I've tried they turn out pretty disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I'm so excited for this one! And the interview makes me want to read it more! And cupcakes.... yum...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blodeuedd - I know, I've been craving them all day! *shakes fist at Hudson*

    Linds - Sign me up for bacon and cupcakes. Or bacon cupcakes? I think they have bacon/maple donuts, so surely there's a bacon cupcake out there somewhere right?

    Missie - Don't you wish Hudson had posted one of those with the interview? Not very nice, keeping them all to herself ;-)

    Lea - Can't wait to see what you think of it! I just adored it:)

    Ashley - I'm a miserable baker, so really while reading I just wanted to find someone who would be willing to make me cupcakes:) I still want that now:)

    Candace - It was a fun, fast read, loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny interview...although I kind of swore off reading this authors books due to her whole first book scandal, but this one does sound fun...you'll have to let me know how it is...:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL I love the bacon comment. I think if you smell like bacon, that is a good thing... for a guy anyway. :D

    This sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Something about Black Melon Cupcakes sounds like it would be a fail... Lol!!! I think I must have this one!!!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanksgiving Dinner Cupcakes? Um, no thanks. *shudder* But I love the story about falling in love with the ice. So sweet and simple. This book sounds adorable and I do love Sarah Ockler. Great character interview!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this interview! I read 20 boy summer and love it! I am so getting this book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow this is one of my favorite interviews! I really got insight into who Hudson is and I think I'm going to make Bittersweet my next read! I love her reaction when she runs into Josh. Teehee! Bacon. ;) And the cupcakes that represent her before and after the events in the book are so cool! And sounds yummy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. At first the Thanksgiving cupcake sounded G-R-O-S-S but I guess it might be interesting to try. Adorable interview! I love sport books and this one sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanksgiving Dinner Cupcake?? Now that sounds interesting! lol!

    Great interview! This is another book that I'm super excited to read!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a great sweet story! I'll have to get this one definitely. And that was an awesome character interview as always!


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hudson sounds like such an adorable character! I'm a huge fan of Sarah Ockler since the aftermath of Twenty Boy Summer. I still have to read Fixing Delilah, but I'm hoping to get to Bittersweet so, so soon :) I love the sound of this one!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always show me new YA books, I've never seen this one before! I love the cover, it really makes me want cookies.

    Hudson sounds like a neat, level-headed kid. I'm forwarding this one to our upper school library to look into ordering.

    ReplyDelete