Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Social Suicide

SOCIAL SUICIDE (Deadly Cool #2)
Gemma Halliday
Contemporary Young Adult
272 pages
HarperTeen
Available April 24th
Received from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.

I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos...


MY THOUGHTS
Social Suicide is a cute follow up to Gemma Halliday’s young adult debut Deadly Cool, drawing us laughingly back into Hartley’s world as she stumbles across yet another dead body and takes it upon herself to play the inexperienced and somewhat inept detective. Though the humor and the fun relationships between Hartley, her best friend Sam, and high school newspaper bad-boy editor Chase are light and entertaining, this installment does seem to read a touch younger than the first book, an abundance of the word “dude” in the dialog regardless of the age or gender of the speaker as well as some other prominent teenage slang making the characters more caricatures of high school students than they appeared to be previously. Knowing that going in however, it’s easy to gloss over some of the language and just appreciate the read for pure entertainment value.

Hartley is as adorable as ever, charmingly doing everything but what is logical when she finds herself staring at the body of another classmate, refusing to be truthful with the police and deciding at sixteen years old she’s capable of uncovering what law enforcement professionals cannot. If we picked this book up expecting a realistic, intense, and hard-hitting portrayal of a murder mystery, then Hartley and company’s antics would be frustrating and most likely the complete opposite of the way actual events would unfold. However, this is not meant to be that type of story, and so the ridiculousness of the events and the repeatedly botched crime-solving attempts just drag a smile from our lips and force a shake of our heads as we take what happens as things meant all in good fun.

Hartley’s potential romance with Chase is fraught with a sweet, awkward tension as she tries to figure out where they stand after book one’s oh-so brief touching of lips, and her continued misunderstandings where he’s concerned are the highlight of the book. Each time she makes an assumption about how things with them are going to be, he turns it on its head and leaves Hartley endearingly confused and more than a little embarrassed. While overall not quite as strong as Deadly Cool, Social Suicide is still a solid read for anyone likes to pick a book up knowing they’ll simply enjoy the experience without the promise of anything deeper or richer. Hartley, Chase and Sam are quirky characters if a little over the top in their teenage mannerisms and dialog, each of them a blend of pastel colors that makes them a quick and cheerful detour before we desire to return to the muted earth tones and darker blacks and grays of the paranormal or dystopian reads.

Rating: 3.5/5

39 comments:

  1. I only skimmed your review since I haven't read the first one. I'm not sure whether to laugh uproariously or roll my eyes at the word "Twittercide." Sets a good tone for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, need to read this book this weekend! I loved Deadly Cool and can't wait to get back into Hartley's world. :D sucks that Social Suicide seems to read younger. :\

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Hartley in Deadly Cool, and I've been looking forward to reading Social Suicide3 every since! Glad to hear you enjoyed it, even if the book had a few minor issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked this one. I still have book one to read but I've heard nothing but good things. Great review. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, sometimes it is nice to just enjoy a read. Nothing big and major just a nice and cute read! I'm glad this one is something like this. I havent read the first one although I always wanted to ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh!!! You just reminded me that I need to pick this one up when it comes out! I ADORED the first book, and I really want to re-meet Hartley and the gang -- especially Chase. <3 Reading about sweet yet awkward romances always makes me feel a little bit better because that's more like my reality than anything else LOL -- it makes me feel less like a romantic fail in comparison! x)

    Amazing review, Jenny! These books may not be meant for depth, but they're tons of fun and that's what I love about them :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Jenny, I've never picked up a book by Gemma Halliday before, I've seen Deadly Cool pop up on my GR feed a few times, I think I may give it a shot, a book full with mystery and humour may be just what I need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking forward to this book ever since I finished Deadly Cool! Even with some of the issues you pointed out, I think it will be a good one (especially if expectations are altered a bit before starting).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear, I've been on a forced diet of trying to avoid your page because everytime I read one of your reviews, I have to go grab the book! Now, I have to add two more. My pocket book is starting to be just as annoyed as my shelving space! Can't wait to read these, great review :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The synopsis reminds me of an episode of Veronica Mars. I haven't read the first book, but they both sound really fun. And yes, sometimes I just need to be purely entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to get on board with this series everyone has nothing but good things to say about it! Hartley sounds like my kind of character too :)

    Thanks for the review
    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alison - They're really fun books - definitely on the younger side in terms of language and mannerisms, but they just make me smile:)

    Ashelynn - It did feel younger to me, mostly the use of the word "dude". For some reason that didn't seem to be as prominent in book one.

    Natalie - It was a fun book - nothing too serious despite the murder and I just like Hartley and Chase together:)

    Donna - If you're looking for light reads that just make you laugh, I recommend these. You do have to gloss over some of the slang though:)

    Danny - Exactly! Sometimes I get into too critical mode and I need a reminder book that I read for fun:) These are good for that!

    Mimi - I love Chase and Hartley! They're so cute and awkward and I want to hug them:) Can't wait to see what you think of it!

    Jasprit - They're really entertaining:) Definitely good to offset some of the more serious reads!

    Amanda - Definitely! The slang didn't hugely bother me, but it was noticeable in this on where I didn't notice it so much in the first book. Still smiled my way through reading it though:)

    Ashley - Hhahaha should I say I'm glad you fell off the wagon then? Probably not, but it's true:)

    Pam - I've heard these books compared to Veronica Mars before, I think it's probably a solid comparison:)

    Jac - I really like Hartley! She can be ridiculous, but it works for her:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just skimmed your review since I haven't read the first book, but I'll definitely pick this series up when I need a light yet enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this series yet but it does sound like a lighter version of The Body Finder (which I love) so I do want to give this series a read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang. It's a shame it wasn't as good as DEADLY COOL bc I loved that one...However, it's coming up on my review queue, and I'm still pretty stoked ;)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been so addicted to P.I. stories lately, but I haven't tried any in the YA area. Hello, Missie! These young ladies are the Charley Davidson's of the future!!!

    And awkward tension... can you say, Adorkable?! Yes, sounds too cute, but I have to read Deadly Cool first. Yup, this series is going on my library wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I only scanned your review because I haven't read Deadly Cool yet and I really want to. I'm actually really pumped for Deadly Cool still and even though you gave this one a 3.5 I at least now know what to expect. I'll just expect something that is a bit more shallow. Sometimes I need those types of books anyway, LOL! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to try this one out. I'll have to get Deadly Cool first.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rummanah - I hope you do, I think they're fun:)

    Jenny - Definitely lighter than the Body Finder and she has no special abilities other than the unfortunate luck to stumble across the bodies of her classmates:)

    Melissa - Looking forward to seeing what you think:)

    Missie - YES! Adorkable is such a great word. They're so darn cute:)

    Jen - Exactly. Sometimes light and fun and superficially entertaining is exactly what I'm looking for:)

    Jennifer - I definitely recommend Deadly Cool first, that one was too much fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nah, these teens would be to teen for me. I need to say stop sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not reading this review yet because I still haven't written my own, but yay. :) I like this series so much, it's such a nice change to have a YA book with humor! I definitely liked DEADLY COOL better, but this was still pretty fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Hartly! She is like a new Nancy Drew! I was hoping for more of a romance (you know me) and well didn't quite get it. Awesome review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed the first story, since it was cute and fun and still had a good mystery, so I'll probably pick this one up, too. You're right, though. You can't go in thinking these stories are going to be hard-boiled or dark mysteries. It's all about the humor and crazy antics of Hartly and her crew!

    ReplyDelete
  24. P.S. I'm commenting right next to Gena Showalter's HOT-HOT-HOT new cover and totally drooling...OMG. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  25. WHAT? Are you talking to me? Trying to get to me with your talk of pastels and and light and shadows? Fine... you got me. You know how to get to me. I still need to read the first book and so glad to know there is a second.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have Deadly Cool and I've been meaning to read it for awhile. I'm glad to know that this one is even funnier! I remember when I used to be obsessed with the word "dude" but that was in 4th grade...Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's strange that this book seems to read a touch younger than the first book, but it sounds like a really fun read nonetheless. I haven't read the first one yet but I finally have a copy! I hope I can start it soon and then move on to this once it's released. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This series sounds so fun and cute! I've heard really great things about this series. At first, I actually thought it was a paranormal, haha. But now, I know it's a fun contemp. :) I'm sorry to hear that the dialogue sort of retrogressed. But I'm glad that the book itself was still entertaining! I should get started on this series. :) It sounds great. Amazing review, Jenny, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a series I am dying to read, I love a good snarky heroine and Hartley sounds like she will fit the bill. I agree this would be a great break from dystopian. Glad you emjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I actually liked this one more then the the first and I liked the slang quite a lot. I love Hartley and her fun snark but in the first book I just wanted her to use her brain. Luckily she was much better in this one and I actually gave it 5 stars, I loved it! I'm glad you enjoyed anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't know this was a follow up. Hmm, I'm a little slow on the series thing these days. This sounds like a fun follow up. Great review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've been hearing great things about this series! I need to read the first book: Deadly Cool!! It sounds so awesome. I hope I can read the first book before the sequel comes out! (WHICH IS SOON!)

    Awesome review, Jenny! So glad you enjoyed it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. I still haven't read the first book in the series but it sounds pretty good :) !! Thanks for the review Jenny :) !

    ReplyDelete
  34. I still haven't read the first book in the series but it sounds pretty good :) !! Thanks for the review Jenny :) !

    ReplyDelete
  35. I still haven't read the first book in the series but it sounds pretty good :) !! Thanks for the review Jenny :) !

    ReplyDelete
  36. Twittercide? LOL That sounds...hilarious xP I haven't read Deadly Cool yet, but I definitely have to give it a try :) It sounds like a really fun series! Awesome review Jenny<3

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dude, I use the word dude all the time :) I just finished Deadly Cool a few days ago and it was so fun! I can't wait to read this one and just have a few laughs with Hartley, Chase and Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so glad to read that this one is good too! I read Deadly Cool not all that long ago and really enjoyed it. It's nice to have a change of pace and read something that doesn't evoke deep emotion and was simply written to make you smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Okay, I completely skipped this to say that I got this in the mail to read and review for my Contemporary Month in June! I'm a little bit excited about it too. I don't have Deadly Cool but I'm borrowing it. The covers are so cute!

    ReplyDelete