Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Vicious Deep: Tens List


Today as part of the promotional tour through Teen Book Scene, I have a couple of fun tens lists to share, one from both Zoraida and her main character Tristan! Through a happy series of miscommunications and wire crossings I wound up with two different tens lists which I consider a win, so below is a twenties list(?) for all of you!

TRISTAN'S TOP TEN FOODS HE COULDN'T FUNCTION WITHOUT

1. Bacon, you salty goodness

2. Hawaiian pizza. I mean, pineapple and ham. Who knew?

3. Fish tacos. Though lately, I’ve been feeling a little guilty.
 
4. It isn’t a Coney Island summer without the consumption of a couple of hundred corn dogs.

5. You’re not supposed to swim after you eat, right? But sitting all day at the lifeguard post makes me hungry. I always, always keep watermelon. Plus, it’s Layla’s favorite.
 
6. Tater tots. It’s the only good thing about school food.
 
7. My special combination of ketchup and mayo. It’s an art form, you see. I get it juuuust right.
 
8. Everything my mom makes, but especially her buttermilk pancakes. For an ex-mermaid princess, she sure knows how to cook.
    
9. Yellow rice and beans. With Layla as a best friend, it’s hard not to love it.

10. Wait. Did I already say bacon?


TOP TEN SUPER POWERS ZORAIDA WOULD MOST LIKE TO HAVE

1. Speaking to animals.
 
2. The ability to remove wrinkles out of clothes without an iron.
 
3. The ability to freeze time when I drop something. I go through lots of glasses.
 
4. Apparating - JK Rowling was onto something!
 
5. X-ray vision. Especially around cute guys.
 
6. Flying, just like my favorite girl, Rogue.
 
7. The ability to see ghosts! They're scary and it'd be nice to get a heads up.
 
8. Magical cooking powers. I want to be Bobby Flay when I grow up.
 
9. The voice of a siren. Maybe I'd start a career as a singer.
 
10. Super speed. Have to be fast to get the bad guys.


THE VICIOUS DEEP

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave.

He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.

His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he’s heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he’s suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods.

Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea…and now it wants him back.


28 comments:

  1. Haha...fish tacos! I once read a memoir about a family that had a pet hog. I think it was called Good, Good Pig or something like that. But anyway, one of the hog's favorite snacks was...bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Hawaiian Pizza! Although, if you ask italian people they would scream at this :-))

    After I read Of Poseidon, which literally blew my mind, I'm more eager to pick up another mermaid book!! This one sounds good! Have you read it already?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family is made up of girls who love fish, but I still have no idea whether I should be sad or glad that we've never heard of fish tacos before... :P My sister would be Tristan's best friend because she LOVES ketchup and mayo (and I can't stand the taste of either LOL) -- but my favourite thing has to be the magical cooking powers. Can we share that, Zoraida?? :D

    I can't wait to get my copy of this, Jenny! I want more fishy mermaid fun! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with the Tater Tots! Though I really wish they did not go straight to my hips LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gasp!! Could this Tristan be after my heart? Tator Tots, bacon, corn dogs and Hawaiian Pizza? MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison - Well, bacon is delicious, he can hardly be blamed:)

    Danny - I did read it! It was a fun book, more of an adventure-type story. I really liked Tristan's voice:)

    Mimi - I agree, please grant me the magical cooking powers as well. I loathe cooking, and it loathes me back:)

    Felicia - So worth it. I could eat my weight in tater tots:)

    Tina - Right? He's kind of a winner:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I think most of the things on Zoraida's list I would want too! Super speed, apparating and of course getting wrinkles out of my clothes without the need for an iron! This book sounds like so much fun! I think I'm in need of a watery tale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been too long since I've read a good book about Mermaids, and I think this is the one I need to pull me into the deep, dark ocean. I love the sound of it.

    And seriously, I'm not super hungry for that special blend of mayo and ketchup and pancakes. Okay, maybe not together, but if there is bacon involved, I wouldn't eliminate the possibility. Don't judge. Good food is good food, no matter how you eat it.

    And yes, those powers are definitely ones I would like to have, especially the one where you'd never have to iron again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok me and this guy could so hang. I mean bacon, Hawaiian pizza, and fish tacos? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually never read about with mermaids in it .. The Vicious Deep sounds amazing and the characters seem awesome as well .. I love Tristan's list of his favourite food yum yum !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jasprit - Apparating would be brilliant I think. So much easier than driving! Except for the whole being able to leave parts of you behind thing. That would suck:)

    Missie - I don't judge anyone who loves bacon. Bacon is delicious:)

    Juju - Right? I think Tristan and I would be good friends as well:)

    Elodie - I hadn't ready many either before this one, and I'm loving the new mermaid trend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is new to me, and the lists really make me curious about the characters. I'm not sure about fish tacos though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fish tacos? *shudders* So not for me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh! this one sounds interesting! Fish Tacos sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine yellow rice and beans being any good but you put bacon on anything and it instantly tastes so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to have the voice of a Siren as well! I think Zoraida is signing somewhere near me soon, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another fun post! I am glad to see someone else out there enjoys fry sauce (ketchup-mayo mix) it is indeed a perfect mix type recipe. Bacon can't go wrong there. Apparating, talkijg to animals and not ironing awesome awesome! Thanks for sharing today! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gah, sorry. I messed up on a sentence. What I wanted to say was that both these lists were really fun to read. And I don't know about fish tacos (or that mayo-ketchup mix) but YUM to the bacon :9

    ReplyDelete
  20. Read this book and love it! Tristan is super cool and fun to read. I love the list. Fish tacos HA!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, Tristan's a boy after my own heart! I do love me some tater tots. And fish tacos. Oh, and definitely bacon. And, dude, apparating would be so flippin' awesome. Just think of how much longer I could sleep in the mornings if I could just apparate to work. *bliss*

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2) and 4) from Zoraida's list would be powers I want too.

    You know it's weird but everyone seems to love pancakes except me :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wish I had Tristan's metabolism! I don't do bacon or ham (religious restriction) but I love tater tots! Haven't had them in a while.

    p.s. The ability to freeze time right around this period would be AWESOME right now so I could finish all the stuff that I have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL... very cool lists :)

    Hmmm... hadn't heard of this book before this. Gotta go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm really excited about reading this one! Interesting Food choices though I gag at the mayo, ketchup combo-hate mayo. All of us do except hubs.

    Awesome super powers especially the apparating. And super speed. I don't want to see ghosts!

    Heather
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one. It's the year of the merpeople/selkies/sirens

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like Hawaiian pizza and fish tacos! I think it would be fun to see ghosts. But X-ray vision sounds good around cute guys.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bacon is awesome. And I've got to agree with Zoraida - apparating would be so cool!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I so want to read this one. Mermen! Gotta read it.

    Bacon! Merbacon!

    ReplyDelete