Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mini Reviews: Straddling the Line + Then Came You

STRADDLING THE LINE
Play by Play #8
Jaci Burton
Adult Contemporary Romance
320 pages
Berkley
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Trevor Shay has it all—a successful football and baseball career, and any woman he wants. But when he finds out his college mentor’s daughter is in trouble, he drops everything to come to her aid.

Haven Briscoe has finally landed a dream job as a sportscaster for a major network. But she hasn’t been able to move past the recent death of her beloved father, and it’s affecting her career. A plum assignment following the daily life of sports superstar Trevor Shay might be just the inspiration she needs…

Trevor will do anything to spark life back into Haven, including letting her into every aspect of his world. The chemistry between them flames higher than one of Trevor’s home runs and faster than his dashes to the end zone. But as they grow closer, Haven stumbles onto Trevor’s closely guarded secret, one he’s hidden his entire life. And despite his protests, now it’s Haven’s turn to put everything on hold to help Trevor. Will he let her in and trust her with a secret that could blow his professional and personal world apart?


MY THOUGHTS
Straddling the Line is a quick and sexy contemporary romp, perfect for those days when we crave nothing more than a little heat and a satisfied smile when we reach the last page. The Play by Play series never fails to deliver in the steam department, our newest couple Trevor and Haven exhibiting the same combustible chemistry we've come to expect from Ms. Burton, and thankfully that chemistry comes largely free of drama. There are obviously problems our lead pair must overcome before they find their happily ever after, but never do our scalps tingle from the weight of fingers in our hair tugging mercilessly in frustration.

Haven, for all that she's as sexually adventurous as the rest of the women in this series, comes across a touch more timid than expected when we first crack the spine, and at times it almost feels as though the wildlife around her might burst into song at any moment in celebration of her sweetness and understanding. Luckily as the story progresses though, Haven finds her footing a bit more, comfortable enough with Trevor to reveal a flaw here and there which then helps us relate to her in a way we didn't in the beginning. While both begin their fun with no intention of it ever turning serious, when the inevitable occurs they don't fight it overly hard, instead finding their way over the hurdles between them with an ease that perfectly suits a lazy afternoon of romance.

Rating: 3.5/5
 

Find Jaci:



THEN CAME YOU
Animal Magnetism #5
Jill Shalvis
Adult Contemporary Romance
304 pages
Berkley
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Veterinary intern Emily can’t believe she wound up in the small town of Sunshine, Idaho, instead of the Los Angeles clinic she had always imagined. Now she has to put her plans to move to L.A. on hold for a whole year while she fulfills the obligation of her vet school scholarship.

Then Wyatt, her gorgeous one-night stand from a Reno vet conference, introduces himself as her new boss. And Emily is just as drawn to his seductive looks and quiet strength as she was on that very steamy night. She soon learns that Wyatt isn’t just a laid-back doctor, but a delicious alpha male tempting her away from her carefully laid-out plans...


MY THOUGHTS
Then Came You is a story full of adorable characters and sweet romance, the type of novel we pick up knowing we’ll find something light–but with substance–between the pages and will be left with a smile on our faces when we close the back cover. Ms. Shalvis always writes characters who feel incredibly real–cute with being cutesy, and with problems that aren’t so blown out of proportion for dramatic effect that our blood pressure rises to an unhealthy degree. Instead, Emily and Wyatt (and the crazy group of people who work at Belle Haven veterinary clinic) are a joy to spend an afternoon with, delighting us when their smooth moves are often accompanied by a social ineptitude that grounds them in reality even amidst the fiction of a contemporary romance.

Emily is an absolute trip, honest in quite possibly the most endearing way possible as she continually owns up to the fact that she can’t get Wyatt out of her head. She blurts out the fact that she’s absurdly attracted to him whenever they're together, and we can’t help but smile at the fact that coy is something she will never be. Wyatt is equally charming, just as suave as we like our romance heroes to be, but not so shiny and perfect that it feels as though he could only exist in the imaginations of women. The two of them do have a standard lack of communication issue toward the end, but it’s not drawn out to an infuriating degree and their reunion is laced with the same humor found throughout the book to ensure we’re left giddy with satisfaction. Overall, Jill Shalvis has written yet another fun and flirty installment in this series, rich in character development and chock-full of animal sidekicks (complete with a parrot who likes to yell out “boner” at random times) who win us over the minute they appear on page.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Jill:


These books were sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

31 comments:

  1. I looove small town stories. I don't know but they have something the extra touch romantic ...These sound good Jenny, and especially "then came you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Have you read any Jill Shalvis? I think you'd really like her Danny:)

      Delete
  2. Lol, that parrot sounds hilarious. I wonder what other inappropriate words it knows? Then Came You sounds like a fun read for a lazy afternoon and I like that the characters felt real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED the parrot, he cracked me up the whole time. She always writes really fun stories:)

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of the Jill Shalvis book better. I like how the characters are adorable and I already feel for Emily. Blurting out how attracted I am to a guy sounds like something I could potentially do. :P
    Wyatt sounds charming as well. I'm glad that the miscommunication doesn't get dragged out too much. That would annoy me.
    Also, that parrot? Bahaha! I'm going to love him.
    P.S I just bought the first book in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!! I can't wait to see what you think Nick! I've bounced around this series and have read out of order, so I'll have to check and see if I've even read book one:)

      Delete
  4. I haven't read beyond Shalvis's Lucky Harbor series, but I'm craving a light romantic read and I think I'll be picking up this Animal Magnetism installment for sure. Burton's books don't work out for me as well as Shalvis's, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed both these steamy romances. Fantastic reviews, Jenny!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Lucky Harbor series, and this one is equally entertaining. Plus, animal sidekicks:)

      Delete
  5. Then Came You sounds lovely. I need to try another Burton book. The one I read was a Christmas novella and I didn't realize it was a series. It fell flat for me since I felt like a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you'd like the Play by Play series if you read it in order. Especially Gavin and Liz (who I think were the focus of the novella), they're my favorite of the couples.

      Delete
  6. I love small town reads and Shavis is a master at them!

    Is it wrong that I want to keep scrolling up and looking at the first cover? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually read a book (or two) by Jill Shalvis and I enjoyed it but at the same time I wasn't amazed .-. There is quite a bit of hype surrounding her books so I think I may have had high expectations but I do want to give her books another shot one of these days!

    I've also heard good things about Jaci Burton's books but have yet to try them even though I've been eyeing them all for quite some time.

    I am really glad you enjoyed both of these, Jenny! :)

    Lovely mini-reviews!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rashika! Jill is a go-to author for me when I just want something fun and entertaining. They're like little breaths of fresh air from some of the YA drama:)

      Delete
  8. wow book 8 for the Burton series? I think we have it in French but I haven't tried it I confess, I'm also curious about the Shalvis books, I heard great things about it. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel like that series has flown by. I hope you give Jill Shalvis a try!

      Delete
  9. Lovely reviews. I really need to read the Jaci Burton series. The blurbs and covers all look so good but I just haven't picked any of them up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are all quite nice aren't they? I've liked the earliest books best, but I still enjoy them overall:)

      Delete
  10. *stares* ohhhhkay, Straddling the Line has one hottt cover, me says. I'm glad that Haven finds herself and that this is the perfect kind of romance for a mindless one day read :) It sounds good! As for Then Came You, gosh! This sounds so adorable! I already love Emily's brutal honesty and Wyatt sounds so charming and adorable! Flirty and fun? Sign me up ;) Really need to start this series since you, Andrea and Rachel really seem to love these books. So glad you enjoyed, lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? *stares at him* I think you would like Jill Shalvis Siiri! She writes great characters and nice, light reads that are easy to just settle into:)

      Delete
  11. So, you know I'm not really that much into romance (except for something here and there and my dear Charley & Reyes) but the mention of a vet clinic and the "boner" screaming parrot? I'm sold on that one!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha. I nearly died laughing with that parrot. I want a pet that says inappropriate things randomly:)

      Delete
  12. Great mini reviews, Jenny! I'm not much of a romance reader, but these two sound pretty awesome. I'm all for a quick read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for cute dogs on covers and I could look at Trevor Shay's abs all day. Yeeeahh... I'm easy. Lovely reviews@

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. Burton always have the best covers! I've yet to read something by her. I did discover Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series and I completely adore it. I should try this series too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well hello there, hunky cover. These both sound good, but I definitely want to meet Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These both sound like fun reads, but I think I'd really love reading about Wyatt and Emily because they sound relatable and real and that's always the kind of couple I most fervently root for. I think I definitely need to put Then Came You into my beach bag. :-) Lovely minis!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the sound of both series, but I have to admit that Emily sounds like such a cute heroine with how she " She blurts out the fact that she’s absurdly attracted to him whenever they're together, and we can’t help but smile at the fact that coy is something she will never be." Can both series be picked up at anytime? I might like to try one of these. Thanks, Jenny :)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both sounds like good romantic reads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOAH that first cover! That book sounds great for when I need some mindless fun! I cannot believe I have never read a Jill Shalvis book. But I'm glad you love them. I'm assuming I could pick up any of them to read? She seems to pump them out fast.

    ReplyDelete