Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: Better When He's Bad

BETTER WHEN HE'S BAD
Welcome to the Point #1
Jay Crownover
Contemporary New Adult
384 pages
William Morrow
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Welcome to the Point

There’s a difference between a bad boy and a boy who’s bad . . . meet Shane Baxter.

Sexy, dark, and dangerous, Bax isn’t just from the wrong side of the tracks, he is the wrong side of the tracks. A criminal, a thug, and a brawler, he’s the master of bad choices, until one such choice landed him in prison for five years. Now Bax is out and looking for answers, and he doesn’t care what he has to do or who he has to hurt to get them. But there’s a new player in the game, and she’s much too innocent, much too soft…and standing directly in his way.

Dovie Pryce knows all about living a hard life and the tough choices that come with it. She’s always tried to be good, tried to help others, and tried not to let the darkness pull her down. But the streets are fighting back, things have gone from bad to worse, and the only person who can help her is the scariest, sexiest, most complicated ex-con The Point has ever produced.

Bax terrifies her, but it doesn’t take Dovie long to realize that some boys are just better when they’re bad.


MY THOUGHTS
Better When He’s Bad is the first in a new series from Ms. Crownover, one where her oh-so sexy bad boys move from bad in appearance and attitude to bad in the eyes of the law, and the darker line we walk right along with them couldn’t be more enjoyable. While the stakes for our main couple in this story are much higher and their day to day lives rougher than those of her previous characters, the drama remains at that perfect level we’ve come to expect from Ms. Crownover, giving us just enough intensity to push all our emotional buttons without shoving us over the edge of frustration and letting us hit every bump on the way down.

Dovie is a highlight from beginning to end, the exact opposite of Bax in so many ways despite the similarities in their upbringings, and she is therefore a beautifully interesting foil for his character. She chooses to see the potential in what life has to offer rather than the stark reality of it, but she doesn’t come across as someone with her head in her the clouds or blinders strapped to her face, instead she’s someone who acknowledges the dark but chooses to walk in the light as best she can. She’s a key reason why the relationship issues that unfold between her and Bax never reach the infuriating levels so common in the NA genre, refusing to allow outside opinions of Bax to influence her own feelings and choosing honesty with him above all else.

Bax, for his part, oozes every bit the amount of sex appeal we expect after reading the synopsis, and he has little trouble heating the pages with Dovie as their relationship progresses. Unlike Dovie however, he’s convinced his future is limited to only two possibilities–jail or death–and he’s stubborn enough to reject any outcomes above and beyond those. Despite his conviction when it comes to the direction his life is headed, he doesn’t fight his feelings for Dovie overly hard and, with one exception, doesn’t try to scare her with the black brush his life and reputation have painted him with. He’s tender when he wants to be, but he’s also completely unapologetic for the fact that he has always–and will always–consider the law flexible, and there’s just something undeniably attractive about a man who bends in some ways yet remains unyielding in others.

Overall, Better When He’s Bad is the type of New Adult romance we can’t help but want more of, the main conflicts between the two of them an ideal blend of internal and external so that our sole focus isn’t strictly the relationship itself. As a result, our nerves are on edge for reasons other than worrying over the moment when the romance between the two of them is going to implode, and the maturity with which both Bax and Dovie handle themselves serves as a reminder throughout that the typical NA angst has no place in their story. Dovie’s brother Race’s story is up next, and I for one cannot wait!

Rating: 4/5


Find Jay:

 
This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

31 comments:

  1. MMmmmmm sexy bad guys and a new adult novel that doesn't solely focus on the relationships? Count me in based on that alone! I love the sound of the struggles and drama throughout the novel, too, as well as the fact that there is both an internal and external battle being waged. I find that immensely intriguing. Lovely review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I loved this one Melissa! Yes the romance is obviously a focal point, but there were as many external battles for them to tackle as internal, so there was way less relationship angst:)

      Delete
  2. Ooo, this one sounds really good. I haven't read any NA yet, but the urge is strong, and I might just start with this one. I love the sound of the drama throughout the book, and I'm glad to see that you've given it 4/5 stars. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely read Jay Crownover, Cora Carmack, and Ann Aguirre if you're want to try NA Hafsah. You can't go wrong with any of them!

      Delete
  3. I do like how different this book sounds to the typical NA books already out there. Also I think it is high time that I started a book by Jay Crownover, everyone seems to love these hot male interests she's been creating! ;) Great review as always Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES JASPRIT! I so enjoyed this one and can't wait to see what she does with the rest of the series:)

      Delete
  4. NA novels seem to typically focus on the romance so I like that this one doesn't. Dovie and Bax sound great together though too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a romance to be sure, but there's a mystery element to it as well as Bax tries to figure out exactly what happened to send him to prison which I really liked:)

      Delete
  5. I really haven't been too much into NA as a genre, but this one sounds like one example I'd like to check! No angst and good communication? More to the book than just the relationship? Yep, sounds good to me!
    Great review, Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NA is 100% hit or miss for me Pili, and this one was a hit. I'm a big fan of all Jay's books, but this one might be my new favorite:)

      Delete
  6. See, Jenny, I WANT to read it but I'm hesitant. A bad boy? In NA? *yawns* BUT...BUT!! I've heard great things about Jay Crownover and her stories and you say Dovie's great, as is Bax...THE PRESSURE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. It's been done. But Bax is actually bad in terms of the law which is a little different, and I like that he doesn't change for Dovie. He is who he is, take him or leave him:)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Win. I have to take extended breaks from NA because so many of them feel like the exact same story, but I really enjoyed this one!

      Delete
  8. Ooh! This sounds like such a fun and sexy read, Jenny. I've only read one book by Jay Crownover, but I definitely need to try something by her. I'm glad that there's not too much angst in this one as other NA books!
    Lovely review, Jenny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's drama to be sure Nick, but it wasn't that supremely frustrating relationship drama that drives me crazy in NA. And I loved both Bax and Dovie, but Dovie in particular:)

      Delete
  9. I have liked her other books that I have tried and I like that this one is slightly more darker than the others. I think I would really like this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would too Ali! You need to meet Bax and Dovie for sure:)

      Delete
  10. I got this one for my birthday! Actually my friend Sara has given me all of her books but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I'm really glad to hear you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all her books Candace, but this might be a fun place for you to start:)

      Delete
  11. Everything said about him is just so NA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. He doesn't sound like he's anything new and different, but I loved everything about the way he was written.

      Delete
  12. I have only read Rule by this author but I enjoyed that book so much that I pre-ordered this one so I can't wait to find time to read it.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I can't wait to find out what you think Alexa!

      Delete
  13. I've been seeing this cover all over the internet but have been so anxious to dive in because of my bad luck with New Adult in the past, but hearing that this avoids the typical New Adult angst? SOLD. I'm definitely going to be launching into this series, Jenny, because I love a maturely told romance with a balance of internal and external as you pointed out. Brilliant review, dear--you convinced me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been wanting to try something by this author for awhile, and I think I would like this one as you said it doesn't go down the worn path that we are all familiar with in the NA genre. Definitely adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds good Jenny, and I do love a bad boy who walks on the edge. I will add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried to comment last night but the storm knocked out my internet. Loved your description of Dovie, and what a cute name. Not sure I'd enjoy this because I prefer good guys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen so many people on FB gushing over this book the past few days. I ... feel the ... pressure ... lol. Guess I need to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wrote a comment but for some reason didn't go through. I was saying that I need to order this book. I love the marked men series so I'm sure I'll like this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY! for this review. Low on angst and a NA heroine you really liked?! Sign me up. I love that you said this "She’s a key reason why the relationship issues that unfold between her and Bax never reach the infuriating levels so common in the NA genre, refusing to allow outside opinions of Bax to influence her own feelings and choosing honesty with him above all else." Go Dovie - even if you have a strange name…I need to get on reading this one.

    ReplyDelete