Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review: Run To You Parts 4, 5 and 6


Parts 4, 5, and 6
Clara Kensie
Paranormal Young Adult
eBook
HarlequinTEEN
Available Now
Source: eARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
RUN TO YOU is Tessa and Tristan's saga—two books about psychic gifts, secret lives and dangerous loves. Each book is told in three parts: a total of six shattering reads that will stay with you long after the last page. Book One is First Sight, Second Glance, and Third Charm. Book Two is Fourth Shadow, Fifth Touch, and Sixth Sense.

MY THOUGHTS
Book two of the Run To You serial is as action-packed as the first, Tessa's role shifting from the hunted to the hunter as she searches for her missing brother and sister. Free of the questions that haunted us all through book one as to what exactly happened the night Tessa was brutally scarred, we find it that much easier to settle into this sequel, fully in the know as to whom we can label killer and whom victim. Ms. Kensie does a beautiful job of exploring the aftermath of book one's revelations, the joy Tessa expects to feel at the small things we all take for granted–like using her own name and attending school without a solid backstory in place–replaced with a darkly visceral cloud of shame and guilt, one that chills us to the bone as she serves an emotional sentence for crimes she didn't commit.

Tessa proves how strong a young woman she truly is in this second book, stoically enduring the vitriol flung at her from all sides at school while simultaneously trying to find her way through the literal and figurative fog of her newly discovered retrocognitive gift. Though we feel for her every minute and every page of this story, there are moments where we're faced with the inescapable reminder of her young age in all its frustrating glory. She has a bit of tunnel vision with regard to finding her brother and sister, allowing that single focus to overwhelm good judgement and choosing instead to ignore both Tristan and his mother's–both whom possess proven precognitive abilities–warnings about fleeing to Jillian and Logan's last known locations. She then has the tendency to only offer an inadequate apology for the trouble her actions cause, all the while failing to see that she's not the only one affected by her unrelenting search for her family.

What makes her actions less of a bitter pill to swallow, however, is Tristan's reaction to her most blatant disregard of one of his mother's visions, his anger and disappointment matching our own and finally ripping the Jillian and Logan blinders free from Tessa's face so she can see the larger picture. Once she sees, she takes the necessary steps to fix the rift between them, and it's easy to forgive her when we take into account the fact that we have the benefit of being outside observers, able to use logic that's not buried so far under the weight of fear and pain that it's of no use to us. Tessa's recklessness, though irritating at the time, is limited more to part five of this story, giving us plenty of time to move past it and throw ourselves back into her corner as part six delivers a number of physical and emotional punches.

Overall, book two of Run to You is a lighting-quick read full of heartache for a young woman who's lived a life full of nightmares and free of dreams, complete with a sweet romance lacking a geometrical shape of any kind. We're left with things wrapped up nicely for Tessa and Tristan, but there's a number of secondary characters who seem to be just itching for their moment to shine, so here's hoping Jillian, Logan, and new character Aaron find their way onto the pages of their own stories sooner rather than later.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Clara:


Part Four: Fourth Shadow


Part Five: Fifth Touch


Part Six: Sixth Sense

34 comments:

  1. Will this be the end of the series? And .. yes I am all for heartache, but only when I get a happy ending - I want to suffer but then be fine again:) So glad all turned out nicely for Tessa and Tristan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's the end for Tristan and Tessa, but she's left the door open for companion books for sure. I'm really hoping we get Tessa's sister Jillian's book:)

      Delete
  2. The covers made me think New Adult, not paranormal YA. But besides that, this sounds excellent. I believe I'd find Tessa's tunnel vision very frustrating, but also understandable in light of her search for her siblings. I like to wait until everything is out to read serials, and I'm glad I can jump right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely do have an NA feel to them, but they're YA all the way:) Her tunnel visions was super frustrating through most of part 5, but I could understand it. I wanted her to open her eyes a bit and see they weren't the only two people in her life anymore though. She had others who cared about her as well:)

      Delete
  3. I would love to read this, you know, but I just don't know because I'm not really interested in reading a serieal O.o I'm glad that the aftermath to book one is well-written and Tessa is someone you really want to root for, but that she isn't perfect and has flaws. Heh, I can see how her behavior can be irritating for sure. Oh, so the next book will be from another character's POV? That's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really have to worry about he serial aspect anymore Siiri, I'll six parts are out! No waiting required:) And I don't think the next book is a guarantee yet, it's more wishful thinking on my part. I'm hoping it happens though:)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Jenny! I am not even sure what a serial is so I'll just say there are just way too many books in this series. It's kind of overwhelming but I guess I'm glad that all of them are out now? Or are there more books coming out?

    I must say I cringed a little bit at Tessa's impulsiveness and I'm one to get easily frustrated by infuriating actions, but I'm glad Tristan seemed to have provided balance and just reactions to Tessa's missteps. I am also happy that the romance "lack any geometrical shape of any kind". Haha! Lovely review as always, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha!! HOORAY for romances sans geometrical shapes. Overly reckless characters can be a bit of a hurdle for me, but Tessa sounds like one I could make an exception for--I love strong characters overcoming difficult pasts. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! No love triangles, squares, pentagons, etc. Just two people please! It was only Tristan and Tessa, no third player waiting in the wings and I was so, so grateful:) Tessa was challenging in part 5, but she makes amends in part 6 and I did love her overall!

      Delete
  6. I'm not typically a fan of serials as you may know, but I've heard some interesting things about this series and I think I would enjoy reading it.
    Tess does sound like she can be easily overwhelmed with her goals and can be reckless as a result, but I also think considering her situation it's all understandable. The romance sounds lovely! :)
    Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was understandable Nick, but I also knew I could see things she couldn't through her haze of fear and pain. If it were my brother and sister out there, I would probably have tunnel vision too:)

      Delete
  7. I agree with Maja - at first glance you wouldn't think these books were Paranormal YA at all! I actually thought they were New Adult (even erotica!! LOL) as well XD In any case, I'm glad to see you enjoyed it~ I'm feeling wary of Tessa, though - I have this feeling she would be pissing me off with her narrow-minded (or tunnel vision as you call it) way of thinking. Yes, have your goals in mind, but please do not disregard other angles and don't let that cloud your judgement in other things! "Young Age in all its frustrating glory" sounds about right.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. If someone with visions that have proven themselves again and again to come true tells you not to do something, please listen to them:) I got why she had trouble listening, but it was irritating there for a while. Still, I was a huge fan of her overall.

      Delete
  8. Tunnel vision can be okay when it's focused on the safety of those you love but not at the expense of good sense (and visions! Can't forget those visions). I'm going to hold off on this one, though -- Serials are just too frustrating to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone with a precognitive ability said "Jenny, if you leave the house tomorrow you a tree branch will fall on you" I'd probably just go ahead and stay put. But that's just me, and obviously my family's life isn't at stake or I might risk the branch-squishing.

      Delete
  9. LOL at Jessica's comment, but I completely agree, I am so over the triangles, squares and whatever else shapes author's want to throw at us these days.

    I don't always love serials but these really do sound like great reads and I love that you have been able to read them back to back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serials are typically not for me either as I just don't have the patience for them, but these released a week apart, so I can handle that. And they're all out now, so win:)

      Delete
  10. I loved that line in your review about the romance lacking any geometrical shape. We certainly need more books without love shapes, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES HEIDI!!!! Pleas no more love shapes. Just a love...line? Is that what we'd call it between just two people?

      Delete
  11. Although I doubt I would ever read this, it does sound pretty good. Though Tessa's tunnel vision might annoy me. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Asma! I hope you give it a chance:)

      Delete
  12. Those parts are not long, huh? I have seen some books on Goodreads. The covers are pretty cool and but the story deeper than I imagined. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just have to find the right moment to read them :) Also, those secondary characters look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not, just over 100 pages each. Very quick, fun reads!

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad you've been enjoying these books, Jenny! I find the covers to be so deceptive, hinting at "just another" NA pick but these definitely seem unique. Lovely review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are deceptive for sure, though I do love the colors. I wish they hinted more at the paranormal element though, that would make them less NA feeling I think:)

      Delete
  14. I will have to red this. I'm happy that you found something and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES SAVY! I thoroughly enjoyed all six parts:)

      Delete
  15. I did not expect a paranormal aspect from those covers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they scream contemporary for sure. Still, very good reads!

      Delete
  16. "Tessa proves how strong a young woman she truly is in this second book"

    I love that. Hmmm ... I'm actually really contemplating reading these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL - Love Jessica, Ali and your response! So, this serial is all done and could be picked up and read all the way through? I love the covers and they do have that NA feel, but I love the sound of its paranormal aspect. Got to go and check this one out some more (again) LOL. Thanks, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Despite how it seemed like Tessa proved to be a bit of a test, I'm quite intrigued about these books, and like Faye before, I thought this was just another NA series! Great to have other wonderful bookworms like you, Jenny, to tell us otherwise!
    AND YAY for no geometrical shape whatsoever in the romance aspect!! I so NEED A BREAK from anything that involves more than two people!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you've enjoyed these overall. Knowing they're 2 books split into 6 parts makes them more appealing to me. I tend to get quite emotionally invested in my characters, so I'm nervous about this girl's blatant disregard for some important info. I'm sure I'll be yelling loudly at her. I'm glad the situation was fixed eventually, but that's going to cause me some angst. Still sounds like this series was a positive read for you.

    ReplyDelete