Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tracy Reviews: Cold Shot

Today I have the distinct pleasure of introducing my sister-in-law Tracy to all of you as she makes her book review debut! WOO HOO! Tracy is a huge reader and fan of mystery/thrillers, so when an email about Cold Shot showed up in my inbox, I asked her if she might like join the family ranks on the blog. Luckily for me she said yes, so a huge Supernatural Snark welcome to Tracy!

COLD SHOT
Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke #2
Mark Henshaw
Adult Thriller/Spy
416 pages
Touchtone
Available Now
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
The USS Vicksburg is returning home when the crew comes upon a lifeboat bearing a dead Somali pirate who shows signs of torture. Questions immediately arise: Who is this man, and which ship did he come from? Who tortured him? Soon Red Cell analysts Kyra Stryker and Jonathan Burke have traced the dead man back to an Iranian ship currently bound for Venezuela, and the ship appears to have dangerous, radioactive cargo on board.

The Iranians plan quickly becomes clear, they're building a nuclear bomb in politically unstable Venezuela, away from the UN's prying eyes. Stryker and Burke must tread carefully, though, because diplomacy in Venezuela is tricky at best. A civil war is at stake if word gets out. Can they stop the Iranians before it's too late?

TRACY'S THOUGHTS
Hi Supernatural Snark Readers!

First of all, thank you, Jenny, for entrusting me with your blog today - I am humbled and excited to make my Supernatural Snark debut!  :-) 

I love thrillers. I especially love ones of the spy or operative variety. Having grown up watching James Bond movies (and I am talking about the old-school Sean Connery here...), I am a sucker for political or spy thrillers and fall in love with a man that is out to save the world. The late Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, and David Baldacci are some my favorites. I was especially excited when Jenny approached me to read Cold Shot

Mr. Henshaw pleasantly surprised me in two big ways as Cold Shot progressed. 

1.) Action, action, action! This book did not immediately capture me. But about 100 pages in, I was hooked. Mr. Henshaw is an active CIA analyst, and his attention to detail is tremendous. If you are not used to reading this type book on a regular basis, or do not have military background, some of the acronyms and terminology on types of weaponry and vehicles might be confusing. The level of potential confusing detail, however, is nowhere near the overwhelming nature of a Tom Clancy. If you don't know what a M4 is...who cares...it doesn't matter...keep reading (substitute 'gun' for M4) and enjoy the ride. Mr. Henshaw shines with his action sequences - I could not wait to turn the pages. The last half of this book is literally nonstop. The entire book is written in nine giant chapters, each representing a day in time, giving it a very '24' like feel, for fans of that TV show.

2.) Girls can kick ass! Mr. Henshaw did a tremendous job writing from the perspective of three very strong women characters in this book. One of the main characters, Kyra Stryker, I fell completely in love with. She is intelligent, physically strong, and vulnerable at the same time. The girl can kick-ass, and shed a tear when appropriate. Bravo Mr. Henshaw for featuring some major girl power in your writing.

While this book is #2 in a series, I did not feel any loss by jumping right in - Cold Shot can very easily be read on its own. There are pre-existing relationships between characters from book #1 (Red Cell) that might have helped me connect with the characters faster in the first part of the book, however, I was never lost because of it.

Overall, Cold Shot is a very good modern action thriller, with great insight into domestic and international politics. It has top-notch action, and I will definitely pick up Red Cell (Book #1) to see how these characters started their relationships with each other.

Rating: 3.5 to 4 out of 5

Find Mark:


This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my (or in this case, Tracy's) honest opinion.

44 comments:

  1. Hiiiiiii, Tracy! *waves* Well, hello there, mystery and thriller reader ;) I think you and my bookish bff Nick will get along amazingly well. She's a sucker for all things mystery and thrillers :) It's good to hear that the action is very spot on and managed to entertain you. I, personally, don't like it when books have huge chapters since it feels like I have to read forever to feel like I've accomplished something, however, it seems like it works well for this particular concept. OH YAY!!! KICK-A GIRLS FTW! I'm glad you enjoyed this as a whole and I hope that Red Cell will manage to entertain you as well :) Come back soon, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siiri! *waves back*. Please do pass this one along to Nick, it is a keeper. Hope to come back soon too!

      Delete
  2. I love thrillers and 24! Sometimes I just want to get lost in a book's nonstop action and I'm glad that this book provided this and more. I don't really read a series out of order but since you said this can be read as a stand-alone, then that's a good plus in my opinion. And yay for girl power, too! Great, thorough review, Tracy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was nervous to make my blog debut today, but so glad that I did.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. There are genres that we all prefer - I do step out of my comfort zone every 3 books or so to switch it up from thriller and mystery and try new things.

      Delete
  4. I love how you're slowly dragging your family members into your blog, Jenny. I fully expect to see a review from your husband one day :)

    Hi Tracy! I don't typically read thrillers so I most likely will pass on this but I like that it can be read as a standalone. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy! Welcome to the blog!
    I've had my thriller reading phases and I do enjoy me a good page-turner thriller on occasion! With good pacing and full of action and strong female characters, I'm totally sold on this one! I'll know what to read next time I'm in the mood for a thriller! Thank you for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Yes, give this one a try...the female power is a good thing, and not as typical in these types of books.

      Delete
  6. Nice job, Tracy! I grew up on 007, too. Sean Connery, of course. I do love Daniel Craig but Connery's the best! Kyra sounds like a character I'd like to get to know, what with all her kick-assery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - I think we would get along well based on your Connery and Craig remarks. :-) Yes, try and get to know Kyra...you will be happy that you did.

      Delete
  7. Tracy, I can't believe this is your first review, job more than well done! Sounds like a book right up your alley and so glad you enjoyed it. Makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! :-) I was nervous, but I think it went okay.

      Delete
  8. Tracey great review!! I love thrillers. You make me want to go get the book now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tracy! :)
    I used to devour action thrillers before I was pulled into YA and this sounds like an intense and action-packed read. I love how there's a strong woman protagonist! We definitely need more of those, but any progress is good progress.
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Thanks for commenting and you definitely should pick this one up!

      Delete
  10. Jenny knows that mysteries and thrillers are my thing! While I only review YA, this sounds like the type of book I'd fast become obsessed with in my free time! I'm pretty much in love with all the action you described because that is so my thing. Lovely review, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! *waves* It is funny - I have drifted into a few YA and romance related books, which I never would have read before, but thrillers and mysteries are my go-to reads. Thanks for your kind words on the review! :-)

      Delete
  11. Hi Tracy *waves* Every now and then I kindly borrow one of my husbands spy thrillers, or go globetrotting with James Rollins or Steve Berry - so this sounds like something I might enjoy. Especially since it has the perspective of three very strong female characters. Kyra Stryker sounds pretty kick-ass, a heroine I could love for sure. Adding to my wishlist. Awesome review and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves back* Yes, Kyra is a heroine to love for sure. Thanks for the kind words about my review!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read too many books in this genre but I loooove kick-ass heroines and actions, so combine them together and this is a definite winner. Thanks for putting this on my radar, Tracy, and fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Keertana. It was fun to do - and would love to write again!

      Delete
  13. Hi Tracy!!

    I love a good mystery as well and this sounds like it was a pretty solid read. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a solid read. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Hi Tracy! :) Nice to meet you. And your family seems amazing. I'd fit in nicely there *wink wink* :D Kidding, but yeah it's amazing when you have people in your family that you can share your passion with. Anyhow I'm not big on thriller books, but this one sounds really good. I like that it's filled with action and that this girl can kick ass. They are my favorite. Glad you enjoyed this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an amazing family in law. And, it is fun that we all love to read -especially since we each prefer different styles and it helps you try something new. This one is my preference, but I have totally branched out and read some different family picks that makes it fun for sure!

      Delete
  15. That's a great first review Tracy! I think this book would go WAY over my head! However, I have listened to some on audio and they were good, but they had a lot of travel and stuff so that kept me entertained when the rest was too much to take in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a book like this can be confusing, but think of it as a giant action movie on paper and it is not bad at all from that perspective!! :-)

      Delete
  16. Wow, an awesome debut review - it really was wonderful! I, too, was a huge mystery fan and I read them constantly. However it's been awhile since I've read any, and sounds like Cold Shot could pull me back to the genre. Nicely done Tracy! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam!!! I was nervous about my review posting, but after all of the super kind comments, I think I could do this again!! :-) I have picked up some more girls and 'smutty' things after this one, so I am due for another thriller. Just started 2 nights ago, The Target, David Baldacci's latest... Excited about it!

      Delete
  17. I need to borrow some of your family members, Jenny. I am still waiting for the day that Kevin reviews something :) Anyway, hi Tracy! This sounds like a great book. I like the girl power theme, you don't get that often in thrillers. Plus I like that you just jumped in on book two!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Heidi! Don't hold your breath for that Kevin review. :-) It was a great book - and yes, I surprised myself that I jumped into a book two...I usually like things in order! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great debut review, Tracy! I've been asked to read a political thriller in the middle of a series, and it can be a little tough to catch up on the characters, but I enjoy these types of reads too. The only Tom Clancy novel I could follow was The Hunt for Red October because I'd seen the movie so many times. (Yummy Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as a thriller lover, I struggle with Clancy. I am much the same as you...only followed Patriot Games because I adore Harrison Ford, and the movie was great! This one was much of ore enjoyable, and much less technical.

      Delete
  20. I don't think this one is for me, but thanks for sharing your thoughts and great job on the review first timer! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmel, I appreciate it!!

      Delete
  21. Top-notch action, you say? This sounds pretty awesome! And for a debut review, it's very well written—congrats! Looking forward to reading more soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an action kind of girl, and the last half of this boom was awesome in that respect. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  22. Welcome Tracy!

    Oh this sounds like fun. I do enjoy thrillers and kick arse women WITH brains and the ability to jump into #2 without a problem is total WIN! :D Yep, need to add this to the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, enjoy this one Melissa, the story and the kick ass women. :-)

      Delete
  23. Wonderful review, Tracy! I used to devour spy thrillers and David Baladacci wrote some of my favorites, as well. How can you resist a man that wants to save the world? I do enjoy kick ass heroines, too, so it sounds like I need to check out Mark Henshaw's writing. Thanks for putting him on my radar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Tracy - thank you so much for this awesome review! I love thrillers, especially spy/government thrillers, and I don't read nearly enough of them. I am glad to hear this doesn't have Tom Clancy level detail, I could never get past all the jargon in his books! It sounds like this is a story I'd definitely enjoy, thanks for introducing me to it. Lovely review!!

    ReplyDelete