Monday, July 7, 2014

Review: Kiss of Deception

KISS OF DECEPTION
The Remnant Chronicles #1
Mary E. Pearson
Young Adult/Fantasy
492 pages
Henry Holt
Available July 8th
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn’t—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.


MY THOUGHTS
Kiss of Deception is a lighter variety of fantasy story, the sprawling world in place with a few fascinating creatures dotting its landscape, but for the most part the magical elements are relatively subtle, allowing the strength of Ms. Pearson’s characters to shine through. Lia’s journey gets off to a quick start as she flees her arranged marriage, but shortly after she and best friend Pauline arrive in the seaside town of Terravin things slow down considerably, and some readers may balk slightly at the change in pace. What keeps the girls’ time in Terravin from becoming overly monotonous however is the arrival of both Lia’s jilted prince and an assassin sent to kill her, the intricacies and complications of all three hidden identities keeping us fully engaged even though the pages may not be flipping with their previous speed.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of the entire story is how Ms. Pearson executes the perspectives of Lia, the prince, and the assassin, alternating first person points of view to give us time in each of their heads. While we do learn the names of both young men, it’s a long time before we’re one hundred percent sure of who is the prince and who is the assassin, our time with each of them full of vague allusions to moments with Lia and thoughts that arguably could be attributed to either them. We’re therefore kept on our toes, constantly alert and attuned to every nuance of their characters–of which there are so beautifully many–trying to assign them their respective labels while we watch Lia begin to fall for one of them.

While the presence of two potential suitors may be instantly off-putting to those who fear the dreaded love triangle, Ms. Pearson, in my opinion, portrays the relationships between all three individuals free of the angst and the emotional vacillation that typically characterizes such romances. Lia’s affection for one young man in particular grows oh-so slowly as she and Pauline try to make a life for themselves in Terravin, and even as she finds herself in the company of the other for some time in the second half, her feelings remain unchanged. Both the prince and the assassin are given equal page time, though their time with Lia is essentially divided into two parts: One dominates the first half of the story and the second is given his time to shine in the latter half, both of them intriguing and deeply layered characters who have us craving the next book as soon as we flip the last page.

This review cannot be complete without singing the praises of Lia herself, born a princess but delightfully lacking the inflated ego that can often accompany such a position. She has a smart mouth she puts to use on those who deserve it, and she shares a loyalty and friendship with Pauline that brings a smile to our faces as they set out side by side into the unknown. When things get rough for her and her journey takes a heart-pounding turn with the reveal of the assassin’s identity, she remains steadfast and strong, showing a mental and physical fortitude not many would possess in her same situation. Things get darker as her new journey progresses, culminating in a devastating emotional blow that results in pages polka-dotted with our tears, but we’re left with the identities of all three players finally out in the open and our hearts all the lighter for it.

Overall, despite a slight lull in the first half after a strong beginning and the lack of clarity regarding Lia’s supposed gift and where it came from for most of the book, Kiss of Deception is an entertaining story with a richly detailed world and gorgeously complex characters.

Rating: 4/5
 

Find Mary:

Website • Facebook • Twitter • GoodreadsAmazon

This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion.

48 comments:

  1. *claps hands* I loved this book so so soooo much!!! I loved the intrigue to figure out who is who - and.. I was so happy with the reveal!
    I agree though, the gift still is not completely clear to me either and I'm looking forward to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO DANNY! I loved nothing knowing for sure who was who, and the way we got to know each of the guys together and then separately with Lia. I need book two immediately:)

      Delete
  2. "Kiss of Deception is a lighter variety of fantasy story"

    I'm so glad you said that! I tend to avoid fantasy that is on the heavier side. Now I'm actually really excited to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad I could help add this one to your TBR list Christy:):)

      Delete
  3. I've seen some mixed reviews for this one, Jenny, but since I love fantasy, I plan on giving it a try at some point and so I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I love that it takes a while for the reader to figure out who is the prince and who is the assassin and that the book features layered characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely a wide variety of opinions on this one Z, particularly on the love triangle aspect. I never felt it was a true triangle and I didn't feel like Lia waffled between them at all, but everyone reacts differently to books and that's what makes reviewing so much fun:) Hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic review! I just read another great review for this one and I am convinced I need to get my hands on a copy. I love the sound of it; plus, there isn't a love triangle that will make me roll my eyes? Perfect! I also am glad to hear this one is in 1st person POV….I've been reading a lot of 3rd person lately and sometimes I struggle with that especially with a fantasy novel. Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think the triangle was eye-roll worthy, but I've read some reviews who thought it was the worst sort of triangle, so it all depends on the reader:) I just loved how everything was set up and how Lia reacted to everything, so I can't wait to see what comes next:)

      Delete
  5. I really liked this story! Very fun and, yeah, I spent a good deal of the book trying to guess who was whom (hard, considering I'm terrible at figuring stuff like this out). If anything, this book shows that you can have a triangle and make it REALLY work. (Though, yeah, it's not *really* a triangle.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too Mary! WOO HOO! I guessed who was who based on who it seemed like each wasn't. If that makes sense. If I thought one guy was the assassin, then I just assumed he was the prince in reality because I'm always wrong about these things:) Made it fun though!

      Delete
  6. I'm intrigued by this, especially a triangle that's not a triangle. May be one of those I have to read for myself to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to see what you thought Amanda! I really enjoyed this one overall:)

      Delete
  7. I loved this book, and was completely captivated by the story, and I enjoyed the surprise twist in it as well! I also wanted a bit more magic, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Lia's heritage of being a First Daughter. Lovely review, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to more magic for sure Kim, but I'm glad you loved this one as much as I did!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you loved this one! I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. What really intrigues me about this book is the mystery of who is the assassin and who is the prince... that definitely makes me want to pick this book up! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I loved not knowing who was who until much later, kept me on my toes:)

      Delete
  9. I was sad that this didn't work for me but I think the hype surrounding the book was a little too much for me, to be honest. Also, I've grown to hate even the slight presence of love triangles in books these days, especially in series. I'll just spend the entire series being worried that my team won't win. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one though, Jenny and I agree, the mystery regarding who was who was intriguing although I did figure it out early on. I just needed more of a plot, but I think the next book will have more of that. Hopefully, this love triangle dies with this first book and we never have to see it again!
    Lovely review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I'm super wary of anything resembling a love triangle as well, but I thought her feelings for the one were pretty clear. If she starts to waffle in the second book I'll be more irritated:)

      Delete
  10. This one is right up my alley, Jenny! I was so bummed when I missed the opportunity to review it from NG. Oh well. I will definitely be reading this one. The characters and the world building seem terrific. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think Rummanah!

      Delete
  11. I saw this one in Netgalley and when I read about the possible love triangle I just discounted it right off the bat. Since then I've read some wonderful review, just like yours, that make me want to read it as soon as it releases!!
    Fantastic review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't feel this one was a true triangle Pili. I thought she favored one from the beginning, even when they got separated in the latter half of the book and she was left alone with the other boy:) I hope you give this a whirl!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful review Jenny. The triangle seemed to ruin this for a lot of folks, but I love some of the aspects you have highlighted. I may just pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba! I really enjoyed this one, even with the love triangle potential:)

      Delete
  13. This is certainly a review that is a breath of fresh air, as many of the ones I've read were not as positive! I understand their apprehensions, though... love triangles can be pretty messy, and I'm not always a fan of them, but I am certainly intrigued with the concept of having multiple POVs, and now knowing who is who while still maintaining consistent personalities for both. I just hope when I get to this, the romance wouldn't be too overwhelming for me!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, anything that even looks like a triangle has me wanting to pass just to spare myself the drama, but I loved how everything was handled in this one:)

      Delete
  14. Yes! I really loved this one too Jenny and you know how much I struggle with fantasy so I was amazed at how much I like this.

    Wonderfully written review Jenny! You always have the best well thought out and said reviews. I swear you should write books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOO HOO!!!! So glad you loved it. And thank you for completely making my day with your comment:)

      Delete
  15. Wonderful review, Jenny! We're review twins today, and I couldn't have articulated my love for this any better than you. The story is slow, yes, but I loved that about it. I'm so excited to get the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hafsah! I'm so glad to know you loved it as well, I just adored it and can't wait for book two:)

      Delete
  16. WORD. I only skimmed, b/c this is one of two of my last hopes for YA fantasy this year, and I'm trying to go into reading it as blank slate as possible. BUT I'm encouraged that you liked it, b/c we pretty much agree on these types of books. I really hope I like this . . . *crosses fingers* I'll come back after I've read the book, and read this intelligently, I PROMISE ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope you like this too Jessica! I look forward to finding out what you think:)

      Delete
  17. Oh you have me wanting to read it and then you say that Lia has a smart mouth. Why does that make me want to read it even more? LOL So need to get this book now. You keep adding to my huge wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a girl with a smart mouth Melissa:)

      Delete
  18. The POV's were brilliantly written! I guessed completely wrong as to who was the Prince & the Assassin.

    Lia was especially a fabulous character. I agree about her gift though, it would have been nice to learn a bit more about it.

    Awesome review, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I did too! Which is actually how I got it right in the end - whoever I thought was the prince I automatically assumed was the assassin because I'm miserable at guessing correctly:)

      Delete
  19. I really enjoyed this one as well. The beginning was slow but I wasn't really bored so it was okay. I didn't feel a true connection to the characters, romance and world until the second half but it all worked out. Definitely loved Lia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things in Terravin were a touch tedious at times, but I liked all the guessing as to who was who. The second half just blew me away:)

      Delete
  20. I totally need to read this one

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad you liked this one, I read a couple of not so hot reviews, and I have this scheduled soon. I hope that I like it despite the flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like it too Heidi, I was a big fan. Here's hoping the romance doesn't get tricky in the second book, I so enjoyed how things played out in this one:)

      Delete
  22. Yay! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this! I totally agree that relationships that lack the angst and waffling of more cliched love triangles don't bother me as much, which is probably why this setup didn't bother me. Lovely review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wasn't a fan of this one, as you know, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jenny. I couldn't get past the love triangle, sadly, but Lia's growth was very well done throughout the course of the novel. I hope the sequel is just as good, for you Jenny, if not better. Lovely review!(:

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this one, Jenny! I've been looking forward to this one, and your review only makes me all the more excited to read it! I'm happy there's no love triangle since I was a little worried there would be. I'll have to read this one soon. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! I struggled with the section in Teravina. It was a little boring and there was too much "is this a triangle?!" speculation. But I thought it was pretty cool that the author fooled us about who was who. I'm soooo worried she will drag out a triangle in the future, but hopeful that won't happen. Love what you said about Lia here: "showing a mental and physical fortitude not many would possess in her same situation." YES! Near the end of the book, especially, she becomes pretty fierce. There were a few great scenes there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alright Jenny, you have convinced me to read this book NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alright Jenny, you have convinced me to read this book NOW!!

    ReplyDelete