Sunday, July 27, 2014

Visual Review: The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18505841-the-art-of-how-to-train-your-dragon-2?from_search=true

A couple years ago I was sitting on my couch at home on a Saturday night (like the social butterfly I am), watching a little animated film HBO chose to premiere that week when I fell madly in love. The movie was How To Train Your Dragon, and it was one of the cutest movies I'd seen in forever. Not only was the animation astoundingly beautiful, but the characters were also laugh out loud funny, and I spent the next two days watching it ever single moment it came on. Which was a lot, as those of you who have HBO know. Once they premiere a movie, they play it 24/7.

Fast forward four years to 2014 when I discover my beloved movie has a sequel releasing. Best. News. Ever. Making my How To Train Your Dragon love complete was the arrival of a special package in the mail, one that contained a truly stunning book featuring the artwork that helped bring the second installment to life.

I majored in film in college and have always been fascinated by the behind-the-scenes aspect of moviemaking, so this book was a real treat for me and something I highly recommend to those interested in art, animation, costume design and the like. Between the covers is page after page of both sketches and finished artwork, the characters, settings and costumes broken down visually and then described by key members of the production staff to give us an in-depth look at everything the filmmakers take into consideration during the animation process. While the information provided by the director, production designer, art director and numerous others is an absolute treat, the true highlight of the book is the artwork itself, so I'm going to let it do most of my talking for me.

I took a few pictures of some of my favorite pages of the book so I could share them with all of you, and hopefully encourage those who have yet to experience these movies to give them a try! I have little doubt you'll love them as much as I do, and you might just want to pick up a copy of this book for display on your coffee table. Because...dragons. And Gerard Butler. You're welcome.

MEET THE HUMANS

Hiccup in sketch form:



Stoick (Hiccup's dad) in both sketch and painted form:


(One of my favorite things about this book is the fact that we get to see the artwork in various stages of completion - from early black and white sketches and storyboards to paintings in color to final animated form.)

The fashion of Astrid (Hiccup's love interest):


Drago (the villain):
 

MEET THE DRAGONS

Toothless in sketch form:

(Look at his face! Is he not the cutest dragon you've ever seen? I want him for myself.)


Assorted dragons:




LANDSCAPES





STORYBOARDS




Find The Art of How To Train Your Dragon 2:

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too. I can draw things I'm looking at, but I could never create characters straight out of my head like this!!

      Delete
  2. I still need to see the first movie since I want to go and see the 2nd one in the theatre, but yayyy! I love these kind of books and wowza! Your pics are just gorgeous, Jenny! I'm so glad you had fun with this and it fed your movie-loving soul :) THANK YOU FOR SHARING! I LOVED ITTTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THIS MOVIE SIIRI!!! And the book is so gorgeous. I covet it:)

      Delete
  3. I think we all want toothless for ourselves ;) He is just about the cutest dragon I've ever seen and I just want to cuddle with him. I've watched How to Train You Dragon a handful of times and absolutely adored the movie and when I found out there was a sequel, I was over the moon... I still have yet to watch it though .-.

    I cannot imagine how excited it was for you to receive that book in the mail though! All those visuals make me want to grab a copy somehow and flip through the pages to see how this beloved movie came to life!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE HIM RASHIKA!!! He's so adorable:) I loved the second movie, so I hope you get a chance to see it soon!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous!

    We went a saw the second one here...a couple of weeks ago I think it was and it was fanatic! Just as wonderful as the first one. I even shed and tear or two during it.

    Thanks for sharing these Jenny, so much fun to see how it all starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it good? I'm ready for it to be on DVD already so I can watch it again:)

      Delete
  5. Oh the pictures are really beautiful! I saw the movie a while a go but haven't seen the second one I should try because I'm quite curious but I'm always anxious with sequels like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the second movie was great Melliane! The first one will always be my favorite because Hiccup and Toothless are just the cutest things ever, but I thought it was a fantastic sequel:)

      Delete
  6. I looove looking at the art for these movies because it's just SO GOOD. Even the end credits showcase the concept art for the films and I just sit there and watch it till the end because these people are incredibly creative--what they do is just amazing! Thanks for sharing, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Movies like this make me want to take animation classes immediately. I want to make my own Toothless:)

      Delete
  7. I don't have a background in film like you do, but I've also always loved examining the film and animation process, what goes into those movies to make them as remarkable as they are. I mean, would you look at some of those illustrations!! Just gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing these pics, Jenny. I still need to see the sequel, but now I'm thinking a rewatch of the original is definitely in order ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they stunning? I wish I could draw like this! I'm thinking a rewatch of the first movie is in order too. *runs to tv*

      Delete
  8. Toothless is so very cute! I just want to take him home and cuddle. I've never seen this movie, but I'll have to now after hearing how much you enjoyed it, Jenny. I love the look of Astrid, and knowing there's a romance makes me want to see this even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he? I want to cuddle him as well. Just wait until you see his facial expressions in the movie. He's like a giant winged dog and I love him:)

      Delete
  9. Toothless!!!! So adorable!! I love this kind of books! I have quite a few of them from my fave movies (Star Wars!!!) and I love seeing how things can change from initial concepts to the finished character or dragon (or spaceship). I cannot wait to see HTTYD 2, it finally releases here this weeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it Pili, I can't wait to see what you think!!!!

      Delete
  10. Oh I bet my kids would love this! We went and saw it in theaters and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely would, it's a very cool book:)

      Delete
  11. I'm taking my son to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are amazing dear! I had no idea you were a film major. I have not really had a desire to see these before now - major fail of mine! But I think I need to jump on the train and go see them both. I'm assuming the second isn't in dvd yet? Love those illustrations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Beautiful paintings. Sometimes, I wish dragons were real because the ones in such movies are very adorable. I have seen Game of thrones as well and those dragons can be dangerous. Anyways, I must continue watching shows by Andy Yeatman with my kids because it is teaching them some real and good stuff.

    ReplyDelete