Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Flourish: The Smoke River Series

Happy Friday Everyone!

One of my favorite challenges when it comes to cover design is creating a consistent look for a series, making sure each book stands on its own merits while still fitting as a piece of a larger whole.

The first book is always easiest for obvious reasons, and each subsequent book typically proves more challenging than the one before it, particularly when it comes to designs featuring people. Stock photography, while initially appearing plentiful when thousands of results show up for a single search term, can be hugely limiting in terms of availability and quality, so I usually try and steer clear of using models in my designs when I know I'm going to be creating covers for multiple books.

I was lucky with the Smoke River series in that each book featured a different heroine, so while there was still the challenge of finding young women that fit the feel of each story, I didn't have to worry about needing to find the same model for all four books. Author Adina Senft was also instrumental in the research stage and sent me a number of photographs that had the feel she was going for, and together we were able to find an image that was perfect for each installment.

The covers for this series are among the simplest I've done, and I absolutely love that about them. As much as I enjoy special effects and exciting typography, there's something to be said for the straightforward approach as well. I hope you guys love the final product!




Book one, Grounds to Believe:

From RITA Award® winning author Adina Senft comes a series of domestic suspense novels flavored with faith. In the small town of Smoke River, Washington, everyone knows the Elect of God. They're good religious people, honest, hardworking—and they're hiding some dreadful secrets.
 
He'd find Kailey some day. One assignment at a time. One prayer at a time.
 
A cult took Ross Malcolm's ex-girlfriend and baby daughter seven years ago. He's never stopped looking for his little girl ... and now he has a sidearm, a badge, and a soul-deep commitment to protect the innocent. When the state's elite Organized Crime Task Force assigns him to Smoke River, Washington, to find out why the death rate among children belonging to an obscure plain church is so high, he's sure it's going to be one of the toughest cases of his career. But first, he has to find a way in ...
 
Julia McNeill is the daughter of an Elder and the almost-fiancee of a prospective Deacon. Her future position among the Elect is secure ... except that she's not sure she wants it. She's never quite been able to fit in, to measure up in comparison with her dazzling sister, who married an Elder and produced two beautiful kids. It breaks Julia's heart that her nephew Ryan is so close to death and no one can figure out why ... but when she asks questions, the church leadership shuts her out.
 
And then a biker with eyes that have seen too much walks into the bookstore where Julia works, and everything about her life begins to change ... including her belief in God's ability to keep her and her nephew safe ...

Find Adina Senft and the Smoke River series:


You can check out more of my cover design work at Seedlings Design Studio
 

19 comments:

  1. It seems to fit the theme of the series. Nice
    And so not a series for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- these are gorgeous, Jenny. I really like them all and how they all go together. It think my favorite is the top right. Love that color! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jenny. I was sneaking through the Seedlings Design site a while back and saw these and absolutely adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are like beautiful watercolors! Well done yet again Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, Jenny! I love their simplicity too and the colors are amazing.
    Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killing me with your talent Jenny, A.MAZ.ING!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ethereal feel to this series. Once again, gorgeous work, Jenny!!

    Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really gorgeous, Jenny! They're pretty simple as you said, but I love how everything seems to fit so well in each of the covers, from the colour to the image to the font used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stunning Jenny though that's not surprising! I love the different colour scheme for each installment as well as the smokey-misty feeling to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the smoky colors to these, Jenny. The light purple on, (Front left) is my favorite. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how each really pulls together as a series. You know you are getting a POV from each and it all fits as one. Brilliantly done as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are super beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the mystical (river mist) feel of the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colours you used here, Jenny! Gorgeous, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see what you mean about simple, Jenny, but they have their own elegance to them which I admire. They're absolutely beautiful and captivating in their own way and your work on this is no less impressive than your work on other covers. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are simply gorgeous. The covers would look good framed and grouped on a wall too. I like the premise of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you let us have a look at your work as a cover designer in Friday Flourish posts, Jenny. I absolutely love these simple, delicate and elegant covers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how diverse your work is. A lot of times it's easy to tell who did certain covers because they're all so similar in style. But you go with what's best for the book ... the story.

    ReplyDelete