Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Shades of Darkness

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Ravenborn #1
A.R. Kahler
Paranormal Young Adult
Releases March 8th from Simon Pulse

From Goodreads:

When Kaira Winters decided to go to Islington—a boarding school deep in the woods of Michigan—she thought she could finally get away from everything she has tried so hard to forget, including some things from her past that she refuses to believe ever actually happened.

Everything seemed great until the bodies of murdered students started appearing all over campus. The victims seem to have been killed in some sort of ritual sacrifice. And even worse, Kaira’s dreams are giving her clues to the killer’s identity.

Though she tries to resist, Kaira quickly realizes that she is the only one who can stop the violence, but to do so she must come to terms with her past. She’s going to have to listen to the voice that is buried deep within her…the one that claims to have unimaginable power…the one that claims to be an actual goddess.

But even if Kaira can harness the power within her, will it be enough to stop the darkness that has fallen over her school? And if it is strong enough, then what’s to stop the goddess from wreaking her own havoc once she’s released?

Confession: I'm a sucker for a boarding school story. Especially a paranormal one. I don't know what it is about them (maybe the intimacy of all the characters being forced to spend time together in one place?) but whenever I find one it goes on my list immediately. Plus this is set in Michigan where my parents live and I've spent a great deal of time, so that of course makes this boarding school paranormal murder mystery an even bigger winner in my book. *makes grabby hands*

16 comments:

  1. This is the first I'm this this but I agree, it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if an isolated boarding school isn't creepy enough, it's got students being murdered?! I don't think I've heard of this one but I'll add it to my wishlist too, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds nice and the cover is really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOh that's a pretty cover book! Totally new to me!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is new to me and like you, I am a sucker for boarding school stories. I haven't read a good one in awhile though, so I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR list. Great pick, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover is so gorgeous! I love boarding school settings too but I haven't read one in a while. I'll have to grab this one when it releases. :)
    Lovely pick, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you Jenny: boarding school with supernatural/magical twists are what I live for! I'd never heard of this one before but clearly, now I NEED IT :D The murder mystery aspect is just the icing on an already delectable cake LOL! Awesome pick^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This cover is so drool-worthy, I could stare at it for hours! I love boarding school stories, though I usually love them in contemporary settings (such as Gallagher Girls, for instance!) though I totally don't mind when the paranormal elements are written well ;) Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I never heard of this one before, Jenny! I haven't read a good YA paranormal romance in a while so I'll be looking forward to this one. I just hope the murder mystery is also strong. An easy to solve murder mystery is one of my bookish pet peeves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this on my review pile and I'm definitely curious about it! I also like the setting. I have spent a lot of time there in the summer so will be able to picture it all really well. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this one, and I like the boarding school theme. I will be on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read too many boarding school kind of books at all, so that will definitely be something new for me :D But I do like the sound of this one and it seems like something I have the potential to enjoy!

    My recent review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/01/soul-reapers-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Goddess voice inside? A serial killer with a paranormal touch?? I had not heard about this one before, but I'm now very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes!! I love paranormal boarding school stories as well. I'm definitely adding this one to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover! Adding this to the TBR!

    ReplyDelete